agriculture/cattle

JanZ

Apr 10, 2002
I am looking for the following addresses:
suppliers of meat of cows and chicken for export to US or big farms breeding cattle and/or chicken

Also of big slaughterhouses (if these are in the RD)

Next questions:
Does the government stimulate production of these kinds of meat, handling and/or exporters on this subject and so, what is the content of these measures?

Do European countries or the US already cooperate on this subject with Dominican companies and who are these?

What are the possibilities for growing potatoes in the RD?

What is the state of the art of organic products?

Are there any forms of cooperation concerning finance, politics, investments, marketing etc in the agricultural business?

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
looking forward to the other people answers but:

I believe there is a slaughter house in Sousa, but I dont know where or how big.

I believe potatoes dont produce in warm climates. A similar staple here would be yuca.

Organic produce is growing rapidly, as most small farms never got into the chemical market place in the first place. I dont know any numbers..

maybe O&C, Drake and others can answer better...

JanZ

Apr 10, 2002
shadley000 said:
looking forward to the other people answers but:

I believe there is a slaughter house in Sousa, but I dont know where or how big.

I believe potatoes dont produce in warm climates. A similar staple here would be yuca.

Organic produce is growing rapidly, as most small farms never got into the chemical market place in the first place. I dont know any numbers..

maybe O&C, Drake and others can answer better...

Thanks Shadley

Potatoes do grow in the RD for they are the main exporter to Puerto Rico and Smiths Lay relies for their chips on the potatoefarmers of the RD.

JanZ

Apr 10, 2002
Thanks Shadley

Potatoes do grow in the RD for RD is the main exporter of potatoes to Puerto Rico and Smiths Lay rely for their chips on the potatoefarmers of the RD.

Greetings.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Check the news archive......

There was an article a couple months ago about a large contract for organically produced food that was being used to make baby food for export to Europe.
There have also been articles on the progress of re-establishing the lab that used to test beef that was shipped to the US for use as hamburger. Apparently it was big business until the lab closed several years ago.

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
Rio Limpio !!!

There is an organic farm/educational center in Rio Limpio which teaches farmers from across the country how to grow wonderful organic cabbage, onions, medicial herbs, etc. Not only does it focus on organic it also focuses on soil conservation and effiecient uses of water.

If you are interested in learning more email me... I can't exactly remember how to get there since I hitchhiked.

;)

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Having worked in a farm I think I am qualified for this :) well, not really, but I'll try to help.

I am looking for the following addresses:
suppliers of meat of cows and chicken for export to US or big farms breeding cattle and/or chicken
Check Cedopex website at www.cedopex.gov.do They are in charge of DR's export policies. It was down a few mins. ago, but try again. The have a searchable database of exporters.

Also of big slaughterhouses (if these are in the RD)
Sosua
Induveca (they comply with all FDA guidelines)
Agr?cola Almibar (poultry)

Does the government stimulate production of these kinds of meat, handling and/or exporters on this subject and so, what is the content of these measures?

Well, they kinda do. But the biggest help they can do is not intervine at all. Most implements for agricultural use are free of import duties.

Do European countries or the US already cooperate on this subject with Dominican companies and who are these?
Yes, they do. At least I know of some plagues control programs. I will lure D.D. our resident expert and see what he says.

What are the possibilities for growing potatoes in the RD?
Potatoes are been grown in the Constanza area (maybe in some other places I don't know about).

What is the state of the art of organic products?
Long way to go, but we are taking some good steps. Many organic produce are been grown. Bananas make for the biggest export of organics. D.D. can add a lot here.

Are there any forms of cooperation concerning finance, politics, investments, marketing etc in the agricultural business?
Contact Junta Agroempresarial Dominicana, it is a kind of asociation of agro-industries. I am sure they can help.

JUNTA AGROEMPRESARIAL DOMINICANA
E MORILLO 51-SD 563-6178

Last edited:

JanZ

Apr 10, 2002
Does anyone know the adress or e-mail address or fax of JAD?
It is not possible to phone them from outside the RD.

Thanks

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Yes, you can call them from abroad. For more use the info below.

Junta Agroempresarial Dominicana (JAD)
Calle Euclides Morillo No. 51
Santo Domingo, R. D.
Tel: (809) 563-6178 Fax: (809) 563-6181
Email: jad@codetel.net.do

Another possible source of information is the Exporters Asociation

Asociaci?n Dominicana de Exportadores (ADOEXPO)
Av. Winston Churchill No. 5
Santo Domingo, R. D.
Tel: (809) 532-6779 Fax: (809) 532-1926
Email: halvarez@aacr.net

:)

Last edited:

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
JanZ

I don't know if you read Spanish, if you do, I suggest you visit the Cedopex website, back on now, and read the news. Some very interesting information that answer some of your questions. If you don't speak Spanish, I am including some bits from their website that I've translated the best I can.

• Germany is the biggest market for "ecological" produce from Dominican Rep. Among the eco-products exported to Germany there are mangos, plantains, bananas, cocoa beans, sugar, etc.
  • Government to set up a plan to improve the quality of produce for export. This will include inspection at port of exit to lower the percentage of rejected products due to bad quality.
  • Dominican Rep. exports about US$11 million per year worth of "Chinese vegetables" to the US.

The searchable list of exporters let you introduce the product name in English and it will come up with the list of exporters. If you need more help, drop me an email.

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
organic farming

Contact Padre Luis Quin,at the Paroquia of San Jos? de Ocoa. He is very famous and is involved in a large organic farm project.

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
Let me tackle the Cattle part of your question. Cattle are unlikely to be exported to the US in great numbers. Below are several reasons:

DR lacks the large supply of feed grains to properly finish beef cattle for the US market. Those steers need corn!

US meat inspection rules are quite strict.

Transport of refrigerated beef to the US would be very expensive.

Current wholesale boxed beef prices are only $1.08-1.30/lb.

It seems that the future of the cattle industry in the DR is to provide a domestic food supply only - little or no exports.

Geez! I miss the old days on the cattle ranch in San Juan de la Maguana. :)

Swede

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
5,000,000 Chickens at one time in a US "Farm"

Dominican meat/poultry production is very inefficient! Whole fresh chickens cost about 90 cents a pound retail here.Prices fluctuate wildly.Quality is is not consistent.Government restricts imports which could lower the retail prices.Not a pretty picture.Criss

CES

Jan 1, 2002

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
interested in price for a small size cattle scale

Anybody there have a approximate cost for buying a small size agricultural scale, for say 3-4 cattle at a time? Not looking to buy now, just checking something out...