Don't donate too much money ... Please!! - (LONG)

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
The Story so far ???..

For the past 7 years (apart from a short period when she was hospitalised) we have had the same domestic help working for us. She was "Acquired" as the Domestic who came with the first house we purchased (her Mother) retired. The Mother could not adapt to the new ways of working - cleaning rather than moving dust from room to room - but Mercedes adapted very nicely & has remained with us ever since. We are VERY happy with her, we are happy to pay her over rate income & have recommended her to friends for the time we do not need her.

Mercedes, over the 7 years with us, has been able to do many things to her house & improve the 'Lot' of her family by receiving small gifts from us, (used cooker, fridge, clothes, footwear etc.). Her house is perhaps the best kept & modified in her area & she is very house-proud making sure too that her children keep it that way as well. However, every heavy downpour that hits her barrio produces a flood into her house because it is set too low in relation to the path of the rainfall & when the nearby river busts it's banks ?? well, the whole house gets waterlogged & full of thick mud. Somehow, & FAR beyond my comprehension, she always manages to turn up at our house looking clean & span AND with a cheerful disposition!!

Now read on ??..

As it is now the drier period of Puerto Plata summer, she wants to put her house on a higher level. Her daughter has vacated the ground alongside & Mercedes wishes to put decent foundations down, raise the level to a height that eliminates the chance of even the burst bank scenario getting water into her house. She also hopes to put concrete blocks up as walls (she has a Zinc roof purchased over the years with loans made from us, but still has the wooden walls!!).

Regrettably I can not afford to pay for all this so thought I would ask for the assistance of the contributors to this board. It would be a wonderful surprise to her if I could say one morning "Here Mercedes, go build your new house" & show her an account book that she can draw from. My estimation is that US $2,000 would be sufficient to make a GOOD start on the rebuilding of the house as I expect she will get local help to actually do the work free of charge.

So, if anyone feels they would like to contribute US $10 or so, let me know & we will arrange a "SAFE" means for holding the money until we have collected sufficient to make the project work. This will most likely be into an account set up specifically for Mercedes (NO, I won't be able to get MY hands on to it!!) so that you can send it direct or make transfers to the US $ account of a Financier contact of mine, rather than using the less reliable regular postal systems.

NB. I will put up 20% of all monies received into this account, so PLEASE, don't contribute too much!!! I can't afford it!!

Many thanks if you have read this far, ?.. I hope we can help Mercedes fulfill one of her dreams. - Grahame.

gonzaga

Mar 19, 2002
Hi Bushbaby,

I'm Canadian, so please tell me how to process my contribution. I'll be in Punta Cana the first two weeks in June, not sure if any of the banks in plaza Bavaro is the institution where Mercedes has her bank account. You can email me with your instructions.

DJ

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
BB...I would be happy to contribute......

Just tell me how to get the $$ to the account. It doesn't make much sense to do a money transfer from Canada (would cost almost as much as the donation). Is there a Western Union that we could send our $10-20 to you?
Would that be an easier way to go? Or would a cheque drawn on a Canadian US$ account sent via Fedex be better? Who should it be made out to?
Will you be supervising to make sure the funds are used to elevate the house?
Let us know........:ermm:

Last edited:

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Grahame,
Please advise on the preferred method of sending $US funds. I'm sure we can come up with something for Mercedes'.
Mary

Janice

Jan 12, 2002
My outlook on many members of this board just changed, what a wonderful thing to to!!!!

Bushbaby, maybe you should post a mailing address?

Janice

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Count me in! I'm also in Canada so please just let me know where or how to get the money to you. (I'll be in Sosua mid-July but this might be too late.)
Cheers,
Nelly

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Just a thought..........

Maybe us Canucks can send our contribution to someone who's going to the DR in June or July
and they can get it to BB while they're there!
Might be the easiest way to go about it..........

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
sheesh... What the hell is going to go one here next? Now I have heard it all.

You can send the money to me in the States and I have an account in the DR Bushbaby can draw from if that helps. I have muled money down for this crazy Brit before so I guess I can do it again.

Now I suppose you are going to ask me for money as well?

nancytres

Feb 19, 2002
Grahame, count me in too. Let me know how and where to send. Hope you are all doing well. N3.

rrwells

Mar 19, 2002
BB --

I'm in the DR and I'd be happy to give some money (Dollars or Pesos) for Mercedes.. Let me know the best way to get it to you.. I do my banking at Scotiabank.

Thanks,
Rachel

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Thanks all of you for your offers, both here & by direct e-mail to me - be sure I shall let you know the best manner of getting the money down here (or to her bank account if the doner is already living in this country).

If you Canuks would like to send it direct to Gonzaga (DJ) who is coming down in June, that is alright by me. Check (American or Canadian) is fine just make it payable to Matilde Pena (Mercedes is the name she was given LATER by her parents & Friends!!!). She banks with Banco Popular here in Puerto Plata, but if someone brings the checks down & hands them to her, she will most likely get them changed 'on the street' where she will get the better exchange rate. My financia friend will guarantee exchange at the 'Street rate' if that for any reason fails!!

If you DO send it to someone else, please let me know by e-mail so I know what to expect & how it will be coming. Gonzaga - if he accepts the mission!!) can make the deposits in Punta Cana & I will then e-mail him direct with bank details!!

IF you wish to send direct, PLEASE make sure you surround any check with standard note paper so that the check can not be seen from the outside - things have been known to get "Mislaid" coming through the postal system. It is MUCH better now, but I would prefer to lesten the chances of things going astray. You can send it to my Postal Box in town & then I will pass it on to Mercedes. The address will be Apartado 719, Puerto Plata & should be addressed to Grahame Bush or Ginnie Bedggood (Ginnie is "She that must be obeyed"!!)

MommC.
FedEx, UPS or other secure post is fine. They will need a home address so I will send that (& my Tel. No.) via e-mail to you. Western Union is expensive in that they charge 10% of all monies sent & they may have a mimimum that makes this uneacceptable to you. If people WANT to send it Western Union, please let me know when the deposit has been made & all other relevent details.
I trust Mercedes impliciyly so NO I will not be supervising the money being spent. You do raise a couple of interesting points however & I will get my builder to help supervise the work (at MY cost) to make sure she is getting good value for money. Ginnie is in England at the moment & one of the things she has already bought for Mercedes is a Camera!! Mercedes will be instructed to take a photograph on her new camera (which she doesn't know about yet) of the house as it is NOW, & the house when it is finished!! I will then post these on this board for those who are interested.

Mary, Janice.
I think I have answered your points in the body of this posting - please contact me if you need anything further.

Nelly,
No hurry, by all means bring it with you if you want. Sosua to PoP is not far & you can come meet Mercedes if you want to & hand the cash/check directly to her!! I might even be around for a Presidente myself if you want to meet up. If you want to do this, I will e-mail you my Tel. No. so you can make contact whilst you are here.

Escott,
As always, thank you for the offer - let me know any monies you receive & we will make arrangements for me to raid your account accordingly down here!! By the way, did you know that Graciella is now a Deputado?? Got voted in yesterday & takes on responsibility in August!!

Nancy,
Lovely to hear from you - yes we are fine thank you. Again, I think the responses you required are in body of text above.

Rachel,
I will send you an e-mail next week with bank details or you can 'phone me to call across & see me at my home. Give Orlado at Scotia Bank my regards next time you are in there.

Those of you who sent me e-mails direct, I will respond on Monday when I get the bank details from Mercedes. I have to be surupticious & cunning if I want to keep this as a surprise for her!

Thanks to everyone. Keep those offers coming even IF it is going to bankrupt me!!! - Grahame.

gonzaga

Mar 19, 2002
Bushbaby,

What makes you think I'm an "HE", surpsrise! I'm a good looking fit female.

Anyone who wants me to deliver the funds into Punta Cana in Mercedes account as there is a Bano Popular there, please send me an email, and I will give you my address.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Sorry DJ - my error!!
I suppose I should have realised it as all responders (except for the renowned JazzCom whom I KNOW to be a male) have been female. Also I should have recognised that "Gonzaga" has a feminine ending rather than the 'o' for masculine!! Once again, my apologies. I must have been thinking of Gonzilla at the time (which I am sure does not reflect on YOUR beauty) who was of course a male. Association of ideas/images etc!!!

Thanks for your offer & I hope your collection will be multitudinous! If you manage to get up to the North Coast whilst you are here, please drop in for a drink - maybe a few more too!! I'll be sending you an e-mail with bank details next week!!
Cuddly BushBaby!!

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Email me if you want to send the moneys through me for a snail mail address. Cheaper than sending fedex and the like to the DR and I already have the money there he can pull from.

Also more reliable than mail to the DR.

Regards
Escott

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
gonzaga said:
Bushbaby,

What makes you think I'm an "HE", surpsrise! I'm a good looking fit female.

Anyone who wants me to deliver the funds into Punta Cana in Mercedes account as there is a Bano Popular there, please send me an email, and I will give you my address.

If you are good looking and a fit female I would like your address to come visit:)

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
jazzcom said:

If you are good looking and a fit female I would like your address to come visit:)

Do not trust him gentle maiden - he is a sheep in wolf's clothing!!!

Thanks Escott. For everyone's information, I have just set up a PayPal account to handle this (on Rob's suggestion) & Rob has kindly offered to hadle things relating to anyone who would prefer to pay into that - Over to you Rob!!

God Bless you ALL - Grahame.

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Great idea! I will send you an email with more details. Bush, thank you for this opportunity.
Cheers,
Nelly

gonzaga

Mar 19, 2002
Jazzcom,

I'm all of that and more, a little modest I say. A woman with lots of confidence and a sense of humor. I did not realize this was a forum for posting "Personals". You can find me among the hundreds's of members at Strictly Fitness in TO, or running the beach early morning in Punta Cana the first two weeks in June...HAPPY HUNTING & TRY AND CATCH ME!!

gonzaga

Mar 19, 2002
Jazzcom,

In TO, I'll be hard to find, many great looking women, in Punta Cana, I'll probably be the most sweaty early morning person around, but a knock out at night. Let's keep this post for Mercedes contributions, I don't want to be told OFFFF....................