work visas for the Dominican

Melissa

Apr 10, 2002
I was wondering if someone can help me. I will be teaching at a school in Puerto Plata as of September and the school and I are trying to figure out how much it will cost to get a work visa. On the otehr hand a friend of mine will be teaching in Sosua and the school there told her she can work on her visitors card for the year. Can anyone help by telling how this all may work???
Thanks to all for any help in this area.

Last edited:

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
You need to get your residency to work legally in the DR. I have mine but not many people that I know that work there have them.

1000- dollars US to get the residency. If you come from the US your first 80k is tax free. Another way to make tax free money out of the country is if you stay out of the country 335 days without even flying over.

Otherwise US taxes are due on income in the DR.

Hope that this some sort of help

Scott

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
As jazzcom indicated, to work legally you need your residency. But there are large numbers of foreigners working in the country without it. The government has talked about closer monitoring, but so far nothing has come of it. Teach the first year then decide if you are going to make your life in the DR. If the answer is "yes", then get your residency.

billshar

Jan 15, 2002
I work in DR and obtained a "Business" visa with multiple entry before I came. This emables me to work here but supposedly only for 60 days at a time.

DR does not issue "work" visas.

I obtained mine at the consulate in Houston. Other employees of my company have been given a run around about "business" visas and are working with Tourist visas. None of us have applied for residency.

Melissa

Apr 10, 2002
Thanx for everyones help!
I am living in Canada (Montreal) so therefore the information about the States is not really helpful in my situation. What I am trying to ask is what should I do as I have a contract with the school and am not looking for residency. Just to let you all know as well is that the school has had many foreign teachers and they are getting some more info concerning work visas for me.
Thanx again to all,
Melissa

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Melissa,

Who initiated the question about work visas? Was it you or was it the school? If it was you, I'd suggest forgetting all about it. You will not be checked on.

Ken

Melissa

Apr 10, 2002
To answer your question it was the school - as far as I understand they always do it that way - Although from what I heard you can only get a visitors visa for a max. of 3 monthes???!!!

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Well I gave you the information I posess which I probably picked up here from Fabio. Maybe he will give you alternatives but I haven't seen any before.

Look up bushbaby when you get there. He is a nice brit living in POP that has been helpful to me and to others on this board. Maybe I will run into you there as I go there about once every 1-1 1/2 months.

Good luck
Scott

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
No body is checking on visitors visas to see if you overstayed. If you are just coming for the school year, don't worry about it. If you decide that you want to continue to teach here for a few years, give serious consideration to getting your residency. Then you will have nothing to worry about.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Can you "afford" 60 pesos?

I left the DR in April for a 2 week vacation.I had been "In-Country" for almost 12 months with my"usual" visitors visa.After the Imigration officers tried for about 10 minutes to figure the exact amount of "days" I had overstayed my tourist visa I was "fined"!60 pesos!"What a Country"! Criss Colon

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Work visas are (?visas de negocios con fines laborales?) are issued by the Ministry of Foreign Relations. However, at the present time it takes longer to get a "work visa" than a provisional residency which is issued by a separate gov't department (the Immigration Department).