setting up a taxi company

pascal

Jan 14, 2002
I am seeking for advise as to what certification is required to set up a taxi company in the SD national district. Does it depend from the ministry of transports ?
thanks for your input

Paul Thate

Jan 11, 2002
taxis

forget it.
not a hope in hell will you succeed there.
even if you could get all the required
papers.
it is all very strong unioncontrolled
with mafioso tactics.
they never let a foreigner in.

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
impossible?

Pardon my humble interruption. The legalities of the taxi business are something I know nothing of, but surely there is a humble corner of the market where "inroads" could be made. Perhaps using contracts with certain businesses to supply them service or service for their customers or in some part of the tourist market, a well-run, efficient, and reliable service could be operated.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
I agree with ihtown, there is a chance here to do this successfully. You just have to use anti=mafioso tactics. If you speak English and Spanish and are honest, you can make great business serving English-speaking foreigners if you have made arrangements with them before their arrival. The internet's a wonderful thing, my boy. Good luck.

Just don't screw it all up by trying to pick up cruise ship arrivals during any slow times by waving your arm out the window in front of the mafia, or you won't have any windows left.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Pascal's question about what licenses/certificates are required to start a taxi company and from which government department(s) he gets them still needs an answer.

However, I am in agreement with Paul Thate that it is highly unlikely that an outsider could establish a successful taxi business. There are already many companies providing this service with more than enough drivers to meet the demand. For an outsider to be successful, he would have to take business away from the existing companies--either ongoing business or some new service that could be provided by existing companies. The union(s) that controls taxi's is a very strong one and enjoys great political power, especially with the present government. The deck is stacked against the newcomer.

Anyone desiring to come to the Dominican Republic and start a business would be advised to look for something that didn't require going head to head with powerful Domininican interests. Fighting with other foreign businessmen for business is one thing, fighting with Dominicans, particularly those with strong political muscle, is quite another.

Paul Thate

Jan 11, 2002
taxi

last year here on the north coast a hotel believed it could get their clients cheaper to the hotel and tried to set up some system privately,.
the next day taxis from all over came
and closed down all access roads
to that hotel for days until the hotel gave up the idea.
a lesson fast learned.
legal papers and permits have nothing to do woth this..
there is no change you will survive that battle.
just forget it.

Mar 21, 2002
Paul Thate is right. Those dominicans are poor and are getting ripped off by the elite dominicans. If they drive a taxi they earn more than the average joe. But a foreigner coming in and taking over their business- you'll be lucky if they don't take your life. The DR is difficult due to scarcity. Unless your running a very large corporation the DR people will always try to sabotage any mid-level aor smaller business. One thing is your visit as a tourist and another is trying to make money off of them. Be careful!

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
In the Santo Domingo area, the government departments to contact are: the Department of Land Transport at the Ministry of Tourism and the Metropolitan Transport Authority ("Autoridad Metropolitana de Transporte - AMET).

Both taxis and "carros p?blicos" are strongly unionized.

Eco

Jan 14, 2002
www.ecology-clean.com
All the answers you receive are corect

Everything you read in reply to your question is correct.
Any ataempt by you to make a deal with hotel is time waiste as even they want you they can't take you.
here are some points that could bring you positive results;
a./ make a web site and advertising contracts with travel agencies abroad.
b/ make nice web site with good positioning and list your self on booking engines
c./ get you clients before they arrive
d./ have a good car such as mercedes or something that will give yo exclusivity
e./ talk to corporate offices in DR (foreign) and see if you can get busines from them.
d./ DO NOT mark your cars . Have plain clean vehicles.
e./Never park your car in front of Airports , park on public car park
f./ Find good dominicans and invest in few cars. Sneak them in Few Taxi companies, to advise you on time if you become target.
g./ Get the gun and licence , be ready to deffend your property

Be smart don't talk and ask locals for advise.

Point is this people here are not aware that you are not taking business from them , but rather creating. It is to hard to educate them. Do your way and you will do ok.
Someone done it. Contact me if you need more info.
But remember, all answers from people you received are totaly correct and true.

Last edited: