Single status affidavit for Marriage...

mikey

May 19, 2002
single status

I guess it could be different depending on where you live, (I'm in South Florida) but, you need to find the archives office of the courthouse in the county where you reside. They perform a search to see if you've ever applied for a marriage licence. They charged me four bucks for the document, plus a dollar for each year they seach.
Then you need to bring it to the Dominican Consulate to have it validated, that was another sixty (I think)

mikey

May 19, 2002
single status

I guess it could be different depending on where you live, (I'm in South Florida) but, you need to find the archives office of the courthouse in the county where you reside. They perform a search to see if you've ever applied for a marriage licence. They charged me four bucks for the document, plus a dollar for each year they seach.
Then you need to bring it to the Dominican Consulate to have it validated, that was another sixty (I think)

Jerry

Jan 1, 2002
www.livinginsantiago.com
Okay I just did this last month. The Consulate no longer supplies, or should I say sells this document. When we went to pay for the marriage license, I found out that I still needed the paper and was pointed to a lawyers office that was next to the "Oficialia del Estado Civil" They typed up the document, had it notorized and then legalized. I do not understand why it was legalized, but it was and cost DR$3,000. I believe and it was later confirmed that we paid way too much. At the time I was not a happy camper but what ever had more things to worry about.

Also according to the consulate, a US citizen does not need to take the certificate to the Dominican AG officem and then the Foreign ministry and then to the consulate unless you plan on using the certificate in a court of law. If you plan on using it for like the INS and SSN and things like that, all you need is a legalized copy of the certificate.

Jerry

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
I had mine done at the Canadian consulate in POP for approx. $300 RD, if memory serves - but that was 3 years ago.

About 3 years before that I had an Acta de Solteria done by a notary which turned out to be completely invalid. We didn't wind up getting married then, so it didn't matter, but still - what a rip off.

I think they're always changing the rules.

Last edited:

Marlin Hunter

May 18, 2002
I am curious as to why you need this statement. I was married, first in a civil ceramony then, later, in a church (Catholic) ceramony. The judge in the civil ceramony did not require any certification. The padre, for the church ceramony, accepted a statement, emailed to him by my younger brother, that I had never been previously married in the Catholic Church.

Jerry

Jan 1, 2002
www.livinginsantiago.com
Don't know why a person needs it. But the sign behind the desk at the oficialia del estado civil that said a cedula was required for a Dominican and passport and Acta de Solteria for a foreigner. So I got one.

Jerry

cristiane rios

Jun 9, 2004
where do i get a single status affidavit

please help me...i need a single status affividat and i dont know how i can get one in Miami...can someone help me?

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
Affadavit

cristiane rios said:
please help me...i need a single status affividat and i dont know how i can get one in Miami...can someone help me?

If you need the document for a marriage in the DR, you can get it done there pretty easy. I paid the same judge that married us for it. I never actually saw the document though. Didn't matter.

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
All you need to do is type it up, a copy in English and a copy translated into Spanish, sign them before a notary public, then take or send to the nearest DR Embassy to be stamped and validated. They charge a fee per document for this but I have no idea what it would be in the US. You should check with the nearest office of the DR Embassy. For a sample of the document, go to www.debbiesdominicantravel.com and look under wedding information. Just remember that the DR Embassy is the best source of current information for fees, requirements, etc.

johnsr

Bronze
Apr 13, 2002
Snuffy said:
where do i get one here in USA?

I have it saved as a Word Doc. I can email it to you. It's the Canadian version so you just have to make a few changes to US terminology. You then take it to a Dominican Lawyer (registered translator) and have it translated and notarized. Total cost for my daughter's paperwork was less than $30.00 US!
John