legal aid needed

bichondad

Jan 19, 2002
MORE NEEDED

You need to give all the info you have. Deported from where to where, imprisoned for what, citizenship...........Etc

Most important is what help are you looking for. Your post is pretty vague.

r0d

May 26, 2002
Deported from Boston, MA (USA) TO DR.
Cocaine trafficking.
this person was given a least 5 pills on a daily basis.
I dont know exactly what they are.

if anyone can be of assistance, feel free to email me.
I'll give you a contact in DR who can futher explicate/clarify the issue.
thankx.

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
What do you want done exactly? your question just says what can be done? Don't expect too much sympathy...drugs are a serious crime both in the States and the DR. Are you just trying to find out what he was on in the hospital...he should be able to find that out. With the privacy laws he is probably the only one that information can be given to...

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
I am sure that this is not what you want to hear, but nothing beats the real thing like the real thing :rolleyes: Get help from a lawyer. Any sensible person will agree with me.

bichondad

Jan 19, 2002
GUESS I'M NOT SENSIBLE

The man served his whole prison sentence and therefore does NOT need a lawyer. He needs a medical doctor and his medical records so that a DR doc can continue his care.

rOd: Call up the facility where he was and ask what is required to have his medical records released. It is illegal for them to deny him his records.

I'm sure they will ask for all kinds of paperwork from him and you if you handle it from the US. I would suggest that you do handle it in the US.

Try being nice and sweet to them. You may get lucky. :)

Worse case would be that they ask for a "power of attorney" and then you would need a DR lawyer and have it translated, sworn to and all that BS.

Please don't forget that someone has to get him a doctor in the DR and it sounds like he needs one NOW!

Good Luck

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
bichondad

Sounds to me like they believe he didn't need the drugs or the hospital and are looking for a suit. We get different ideas from the same statement. Thats why I asked what they are really after.

Janice

Jan 12, 2002
HIRE AN ATTORNEY

Even in the US, many times correctional institutions do not comply with sentence guidelines. I doubt anyone in the DR system or anyone on this board is going to be of any solid assistance. Hire a competent Attorney who knows how to dig ou the pertinent gfacts and who to present them to or put pressure on.

One thing that is quickly learned in teh legal field "Justice and the law have nothing to do with one another"

Janice

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
[B]bichondad[/B] said:
GUESS I'M NOT SENSIBLE
If that's your guess...

My point is, we haven't been able to understand the whole situation using her posts. We have no idea what the real situation is. And having served a sentece or being innocent have nothing to do with the need of hiring a good lawyer. I stick with my original proposition, they need a good lawyer.

"He who has himself for a lawyer has a fool for a client"

bichondad

Jan 19, 2002
THAT'S WHAT MY FRIENDS SAY :)

I guess I really got ahead of myself here. I understood that the person has been in a prison hospital for psychiatric care and was "treated" with medications for 3 years The full 3 years was longer than the judge had ordered, but really meant the full 10 yrs..........no parole or early release. :(

The judges order almost certainly said "a minimum of 6 months". In this case, it must have been thought that hospitalization was required and kept him for the full term.......then deported him. :) or :( depending on one's point of view.

In any case, before someone goes to a lawyer, has to put up a big retainer, and then pay your "counsel" by the hour to go after the bureaucracys in one and possibly two nations, you should get ANY and ALL the documentation and information possible in advance.

Since the person seems to have a medical problem that the family thinks is medication induced [possible]. The first information to get and review is the medical records. That will take time and while waiting, he should be seen and thoroughly evaluated for an occult psychiatric disorder that "bloomed" in prison or a medication induced condition. All this will be needed long before you start giving money to the bottom feeders.

Ten years ago there was an American trained and certified psychiatrist in Sto. Domingo named Camilio Martin, M.D. If he is still in practice he is brilliant.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
It is also highly possible......

that the person in question was also a "cocaine user" as well as a "cocoaine trafficker" and has a mental condition brought on by cocaine use and the mental stresses of incarceration. This would explain why seven years into his sentence he was moved to a hospital/mental facility. Undoubtably something occurred in prison which precipitated his move to the specialized facility.
It is my understanding that a legal document requesting the medical records would be necessary for the person or his "guardian" if he is mentally incapacitated to obtain the records. However if he is under the care of a physician (either in the US or the Dominican Republic) a written request (in English) from the treating physician for the medical records would be all that would be needed.
Note this is NOT a legal opinion only my own personal experience (having had to obtain medical records in the past).
Hope this helps........

r0d

May 26, 2002
thankx for all you feedback guys..

>MommC

NO the person in question was not a cocaine user..

>EL Jefe
yes, he are looking for some kind of compensation
we feel that he was kept in this institution for way too long, when in fact he was ordered to 6 mons. There are a few other issues too, such as the inmate refusing to take the drugs because in really he wasnt ill at all, he may have been depressed but not to a point where he needed to be administered all these drugs.

> bichondad: ".....no parole or early release "

bichondad i think the lawyer had some influence in this.
The lawyer himself was a crook and a good for nothing, he would always find a excuses not to see us, since he would not be making lots of money from us.

Is it possible to request copy of all the paperwork done by this lawyer regarding this particular case. for example have the courts release all documents related to the case to me?
Or do i have the right to demand that the lawyer gives me
all documents pertaining to the case? to have another lawyer review them..

I have already requested copy of his medical records but I was told that he has to do it himself in writing.

again, your input is greatly appreciated.
thankx

Last edited:

bichondad

Jan 19, 2002
HEADACHES

rOd,

I said in my last post that the request for medical records MUST be signed by the patient or someone with a legal power of attorney.

LEGAL PAPERS: Call your local Legal Aid Society and ask them first. If you have a problem with them, call the State Bar Association directly. All the state Bars have a "complaint dept" for consumers. Believe this......They are NOT on the lawyers side in these things. They are there for YOU!!!

This is opinion only from what you have said. You are going to spend a lot of time and probably money in a lost cause if you think you are going to win a lawsuit for "illegal imprisonment" in the prison hospital.

If they kept him there an extra three and a half years, on medication, you can bet all your money that there is something that the doctors believed he should be hospitalized and treated, and it's NOT GOOD :(

You may not like hearing this, but the days of punishing criminals in a mental hospital have been gone for years. They want the all out because the state can't afford to treat them.

GET HIM A GOOD LOCAL DOCTOR FOR AN EVELUATION...........

FOR HIS SAKE!!!

Good luck.

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Hate to say it but I have a feeling this is just an attempt to get money. If he is in DR now, I don't think you have a chance in hell. First...credibility...a drug trafficker...deemed by the court to be mentally ill...deported from the country. Second, unless he comes back to the States to testify which as a deportee he will be unable to do, the court has no jurisdiction. He can't sue in the DR. I find it difficult to believe that the hospital kept him longer than allowed...agree it probably said at least 6 months. I also find it difficult to believe that he didn't use coke. In fact I believe that there is nothing for you to do unless you believe he is still sick (which you deny by saying he didn't need the medications). If you do so believe I suggest you not waste time and movey on a lawsuit but get him professional mental health care.

r0d

May 26, 2002
He's been seeing a doctor.
We are upset at the fact that they just put him on all kinds of stuff and NEVER was any of it release to us. However we do knwo for a fact, that the effect they had while he was there them wasn't for the better.

anyways thanks for your help bichondad

Last edited:

bichondad

Jan 19, 2002
THE LAW

r0d,

It is ILLEGAL for them to discuss a patient with ANYONE without a written, signed by patient, authorization to discuss and/or release any patient.

That does DOUBLE for any psychiatric illness!!!

bichondad

Jan 19, 2002
OOPS

I forgot to add.......................

Has it occured to any of you that 7 years in a hard prison, and 3 years in a psychiatric prison hospital, either brought out something that he has always had [ dealing crack is not considered too sane :(], or the pressure of the imprisonment caused a new illness?????........................AND.............Just getting out and being "home" again, has made a very big difference in his illness. :)

Try thinking about like he wasn't your realtive.

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
It seems that many people have missed the point here. Nobody has addressed the fact that this guy was convicted of poisoning our country and society here with coke, crime and all the other crap that comes with that criminal business. He's a CONVICTED FELON. The INS administrative courts can do whatever they want with this guy. Would I expect different treatment if I was doing that in your country and got convicted? No, I'd expect alot worse. I'd be begging for his medication. Ever seen a grown man naked in a Dominican prison?

bichondad

Jan 19, 2002
NAKED MEN

Chris,

I can honestly say I have never seen any naked male in a DR prison.

But then, looking for them in the DR jails wasn't and isn't "my thing".