Is there a law against False Advertisment?

Montessorian

Apr 1, 2002
www.patriaquerida.homestead.com
I would like to know if there is a law for False Advertisment?

I recently purchased an advertised special off the internet sold by a Dominican Company out of Santiago. I purchased flowers for Mother's Day as a combo package that also included a pre-paid cellular phone, with a phone card for $245.RD, . The ad offered the two items as a package, my recipent did get her flowers but no phone, they have told her she can not have it with out signing up for a plan.

But that is not what was in the ad, it was very exact, pre-paid, free activacion, etc...

I have called and called from here and my family has called and gone to the store where the purchace originated, but each day we just get the run around, or a new version of the truth.

Is there any type law (not that it would EVER get inforced), about false advertisments?

If I cancel the charge on my credit card (I don't know if they will let me because of the whole international obstacle) can I face any recouse? (Blacklisted from entry)?

Should I just allow myself to be used and walked over and sum it up to "I should have known better and now I have learned a lesson"!

Any Advice?

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
they should allow you to stop the payment on your credit card, or rather put the charge 'in dispute' until you can resolve the situation (or try to).

I had a credit card problem regarding an erroneus charge from the DR and the fact that it was international was not an obstacle. Just call your credit card company and explain the situation. If you can provide enough evidence that you were cheated the CC company will take over and they may end up eating the charge for you. They will fight it out with the Dominican company, at least that is what Capital One did for me. It was a headache, but I didn't have to pay the charge that was incorrect.

bichondad

Jan 19, 2002
STOP THE CARD

I agree with the others...................

Put a hold on the charge, get all your documentation in order and let the BIG credit card company go after yhem.

If you do nothing else, you will have shifted the problem to the seller.........AND.........Probably help future customers from getting cheated!!!

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
There is a consumer protection bill in Congress at the moment. In the meantime, you would have to sue the store on the general principles of breach of contract, obviously not a very good proposition when the amount involved is RD$245. Disputing the charge on your credit card is your best available option.