American Airlines vs. US Airways

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
I'm looking for some opinions on these airlines. SDQ to Boston.

Both right around $580 r/t.

I've flown US Airways often, but American offers a direct flight and gets in much earlier, so I'm leaning that way.

Thoughts, comments or suggestions?

Thank you.

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
my two cents

AA might offer better departure and arrival times, but I have never been on a ON TIME flight with AA many times my flights were delayed by 4-6 hours. So I would go with USAIR. I have flown from MIA-SDQ 3 times and been delayed each time. And also been on USAIR PHL-SDQ and no problems and better service all around.

Thanks just my two cents...

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Re: my two cents

kjdrga said:
AA might offer better departure and arrival times, but I have never been on a ON TIME flight with AA many times my flights were delayed by 4-6 hours. So I would go with USAIR. I have flown from MIA-SDQ 3 times and been delayed each time. And also been on USAIR PHL-SDQ and no problems and better service all around.

Thanks just my two cents...

In my last six trips over the past year AA had a dealy on the last flight from MIA to SDQ of 2hrs 20 minutes and they were only 90 minutes late arriving. Otherwise based on legroom and the uncertainty of US Air right now anything fairly soon you may want to go with AA and buying on US Air well into the future, who knows?

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
I'll take the direct flight if possible

Just finished up the final leg of my AA vs. US Airways test.

AA did pretty well. Far better than anticipated.

I arrived at SDQ at 2:05 for a 2:25 flight - and made it!!

(You'll have to buy my forthcoming book "When To Act Like a Confused Gringo" to find out the details of that exciting time in my life - or wait for the DVD).

Left close to on-time, got to Boston 35 minutes EARLY, only to realize/remember that flying into Boston means - Logan Airport.

Logan is far and away the most pitiful airport ever dreamed up. It should have been a golf course. Logan would have delays and cancellations if it only handled crop dusters and traffic helicopters. It may as well be a double-wide trailer in the middle of an abandoned field. Only that you have to pay tolls to leave. "Welcome to Boston, Now F'n Pay Me!"

So after waiting 35 minutes on the runway, then another 40 at the gate, I was now running late. Excuses piped over the system was "we're waiting for customs" "now we're waiting for immigration".

None of this is/was AA's fault from what I could tell. Just part of flying into a one-horse town.

Trip home was on time, no problem.

I think the plane was way-overstaffed - perhaps relative of the $582.

I'll be on AA (direct) until further notice. Nothing wrong with US Airways. But one less landing/taxi/security/taxi/takeoff is one less chance that my pilot fat-fingers a button and puts me in the ground instead of on it.

I think AA has nicer planes too. Airbus 300. No problem with leg room. I'm 6'2".

To avoid all this in the future though I'd definitely consider Pan Am out of Portsmouth, N.H. if the price is right.

I'm willing to bet I could get to downtown Boston faster via Portsmouth than Boston/Logan. How screwy is that?

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
Great post Cleef, hilarious. I have definetly been there before. And the Confused Gringo act take a while to master, I commend you.

I am flying on PanAm soon, your post makes me think it was the right choice. Logan is a disgrace, and the new runway won't give that much help :confused:

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
Cleef,
I have to agree with you about Logan. Especially since they closed the garage (which was always full anyway). Pan Am flies Sunday to Sunday into POP out of Portsmouth. We are going for 11 days, so opted with AA.

And yes, that means Logan again! After I swore I would never fly outta there again.

Apr 26, 2002
Bugsey34 said:
Great post Cleef, hilarious. I have definetly been there before. And the Confused Gringo act take a while to master, I commend you.

I am flying on PanAm soon, your post makes me think it was the right choice. Logan is a disgrace, and the new runway won't give that much help :confused:

Please post your experience with Pan Am. As you can tell from my previous posts, I have some experience with that airline and am most critical of it. But I'll be curious about your experience. I hope it's a good one.

Just as another note to this thread, there are definite advantages to non-stop flights - and this argues for AA. But in regard to aircraft, AA's A300s are twenty years old. USAirways flies brand new A320ERs on the BOS-PHL-SDQ route. Also, while the USAirways flight is not non-stop, it is direct, with no change of planes in Philadelphia.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
AA vs US Air

I have nothing against either.

My preferences depend on whom I need frequent flyer miles on first, flight schedual second and which side of the bed I wake up on.

I have flown AA 7 times since Sept 11th and 9 times in the last year. Never once has the plane been late or delayed for any reason. Since Sept 11th the flights even leave early instead of on time. AA is a top shelf Airline in my opinion. Why do Dominicans clap, let out a combined sigh of relief and cross themselves everytime we land?? Cracks me up.

I took 3 bumps on AA (Fri., Sat., and Sun.) during Samana Santa returning from POP to JFK. This was willingly with my gun to the head of Felix or Luis who is in charge of bumps because I want the vouchers desparately.

I also have 23k miles on US Air so need a flight or two for a freebie which of course I want as much as a bump so will be looking to take their flights soonest.

I am anxious to hear about Pan Am also. Hopefully their flights will come down in price. Anyone flying Aeromar? Want to hear about them also.

Escott

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Oh, should have included PanAm too.

Did the Pan Am to Portsmouth flight about a month ago. Enjoyed it.

I don't know anything about the pricing, but anytime the plane is older than me, I want to ride for free.

If they undercut everyone else I think they will surely create a niche for themselves. If they can't beat AA or US Airways by $100 - at the absolute minumum - than I will take the old planes and hope for the best.

Things I mentioned before that were very positive about my experience.

First: Warm, moist towels just after you board/take off.

Sitting at your desk reading this sounds un-important, but after you've been sitting around an airport - likely nibbling or reading a paper - and then get into a plane, the first thing I want to do is take a shower. The towels were a really nice touch. I can't stress this enough. Very nice touch!

Second: Minimal service people on board. You want something ask for it. AA must have had 15 people asking me if I wanted a drink, crackers, candy, newspapers, pillows, blankets, take my trash, investing advice or how to throw a split-fingered fastball.

I finally asked one of them how to open the windown and then they left me alone.

Third: Portsmouth. It's only Pan Am at Pease AFB so you won't be battling traffic, other planes, lines at customs, tunnells, tolls, traffic and terrorists.

Besides, it's (I believe) the longest runway on the Eastern seaboard (alternate landing site for the Space Shuttle) so I could probably land the plane if need be.

Oh, and it's not Logan. Did I already mention that?

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Porfio_Rubirosa said:

Just as another note to this thread, there are definite advantages to non-stop flights - and this argues for AA. But in regard to aircraft, AA's A300s are twenty years old. USAirways flies brand new A320ERs on the BOS-PHL-SDQ route. Also, while the USAirways flight is not non-stop, it is direct, with no change of planes in Philadelphia.

That's interesting, after riding in both I would have thought the AA's Airbus's were newer. As meaningless as this is, I like the video screen in the back of the seat in front of me too.

I couldn't discern which had more leg room but I found both to be sufficient.

"BOS-PHL-SDQ" - one more stop than I need. Takes more time/The novelty of white-knuckle landing and take-off's wore off when I was 14. Oh the good ole' days.

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Jazz....

I don't know why they applaud on AA but I sure understand why they used to when on the old CDA...I used to fly to and from Cabo Rojo to SDQ every other weekend on CDA's old DC-3s. You could still read Delta under the CDA logo. Flying over the Barahona peninsula was always an adventure...especially the three or four times we had an engine go out on us. One blessing is that most of the pilots were American at the time with Dominicans in the copilot seat. All of us, Dominicans, Amricans, and the chickens and goats clapped at the end of those flights...
God, I miss the good old days.

Apr 26, 2002
CDA

Jefe,

CDA = Compania Dominicana de Aviacion??? DC3? Pardon my asking, Jefe, but, uh, were you flying when my namesake was still racing Ferraris???

Last edited:

mark porter

Jun 14, 2002
Pan Am we try Harder!!!!!

Porfino I realize that you had some bad expierence with Pan Am what was it and was it with the NEW PAN AM or old? I am glad to see that you remaine hopeful that others expierence better service at one time or another we have all flown a carrier flight that was just awful haope you give Pan Am another try. MARK

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Porfirio

yes...'60-'68. Took a flight to Miami on a DC 6. Engine wouldn't start. They worked on it, still no start, worked some more, still no start, ran it down the runway, got it started, we boarded, took off, and the rum bottles and Presidente were popped open...three drunk teenagers got off the plane in Miami...

Apr 26, 2002
Cabo Rojo

Jefe,

Tell me, Jefe, what brought you to Cabo Rojo? I know there's a big runway there, but why would anyone have flown to there in the 1960s (prior to the land speculation at Bahia de las Aguilas of today)?

Also, did you ever have the chance to fly in Quisqueya airlines Connies? I read that Quisqueya was the last passenger airline to fly the Connies.

Apr 26, 2002
Truce on Pan Am

Mark,

I shouldn't criticize Pan Am to you directly if you work for them. I live in one of the cities that the new Pan Am (Pan Am III) served with an odd schedule for a few months, and then pulled out of. For the sake of supporting a new carrier that might lower fares, we flew Pan Am a few times, but quickly determined that the airline, with limited schedules and equipment, was not suitable for business travellers.

But we never had a problem with the employees or the cleanliness of the planes. In fact, the planes are very comfortable.

I realize that if Pan Am can fill more than 50% of the seats on its Dominican routes, it should make a profit. If Pan Am increases its frequency to 5 or 6 days a week to Santiago/Santo Domingo, I'm sure I would try the airline again.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
WOW a post with some class

regarding Pan Am. I guess wonders will never cease.

For the record, I have never flown them (present incarnation) nor do I work or own stock in them. I just didn't think you were fair in your posts and did the company and the people looking for information here a disservice with your terrible prejudice towards the company and libelous statements.