Can citizens sue their governments?

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Is there precedent for citizens to sue political officials on the basis of willful breach of public contract and gross misuse of the public's money? We are currently seeing the Andersen, Merril Lynch, et al trials in the USA. Some people have been fined for violating professional ethics. Others are even going to jail. As a Dominican, can I sue the PRD government for willfully sabotaging my and my childrens' financial future?

mondongo

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
In 1986, Vincho Castillo, a prominent Dominican attorney, sued former PRD President Salvador Jorge Blanco for embezzlement and abuse of power. Jorge Blanco was jailed for some time but was later released for health reasons and finally found innocent by the Santo Domingo Court of Appeals in 2001.

You have the right to file a "denuncia-querella" similar to Vincho's against any public official, supported with the appropriate evidence.

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Fabio, thanks for the response. I am curious how much evidence would have to be presented to show willful abuse of power and misuse of funds. I'm glad that there is precedent. Maybe a class action suit is the way to go.

Onions, you are correct about that. I ,alone, would not try to take money away from these gangsters.

Ambiorix, althogh my statement was admittedly somewhat incongruent, your inference was askew from its intent.

Edited to add: I am not indicting ALL PRD members, only the perpetrators of the current thefts!... :)

Last edited: