leaving Sunday

KEL

May 6, 2002
Hey guys, well i am getting ready to leave for Santo Domingo on the 2nd, and i am so excited!
I just have a few questions....how far away from Santo Domingo is a nice beach?
I am not sure where i am going to be living in Santo Domingo and i wont know until i get there, but about how far away?

Also i went to Spain last summer to visit a friend and not a lot of people in Spain wear shorts..I guess it's kind of um...slutty.
I am from Wisconsin and we where shorts, is it inappropriate to where shorts in the DR? Are skirts and dresses better?
Thanks for all of your help!

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
Tourists are allowed to wear shorts without getting critisized (sp?), even Dominicans on specific occassions (long road trips, or trips to the beach or park) wear shorts (not too short though), but some places will not let you in in shorts or is just not fashionable unless is bermuda shorts (restaurants and malls). I suggest that besides shorts you bring some summer dresses and skirts...

WARNING: Dominican men are very flirtatious, so be careful with the clothes you wear... some attire is considered slutty because when you wear it you know you're looking for trouble...at least for some off-color comment and men will not take you seriously (I guess that happens anywhere)...

Also, there's many beaches close to Santo Domingo, going East, you start with Boca Chica, 45 minutes from the city is this beautiful white sand beach with quiet turquoise water, if you keep going east is non-stop beautiful beaches (Playa Caribe, Guayacanes, Juan Dolio, etc)

Going West is Palenque (about 1 hour away), which is not a tourist spot, mostly locals, but it's one of my favorites, sand is dark colored and that's why it's not so popular with tourists.

If you get a chance visit Playa Salinas in Bani (about 1 1/2 hours west of SD), white sand, turquoise water...

I'm sure when you get to the hotel they'll give you all the information you need, also, buy a map of the country, it points out all the beaches around the island...

Hope it helps... if you need more help feel free to email me...

Marilyn

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
What I see

At the University, the young girls wear jeans (fairly low cut) and Tees...

Skirts are loose or tight and long. Just about any tops. Blouses, and shirts are pretty normal for office wear as are suits with blouses..

depends on where you are going and what you are going to do.

At the beaches, anything goes...and the wolves are there to bre sure you are given due recognition for you daring..

HB
558.gif