Driving to Jarabacoa

Joe Tourist

Feb 5, 2002
We're flying (August) into Santo Domingo and out of Puerto Plata...and intending to rent a jeep and drive from the south to the north, with a 2 night stay in Jarabacoa.
Any thoughts on the viability of this idea?
It seems such a bummer to sit in a bus, 3 hrs each way, to go and try the rafting, canyonning etc.
Great forum.
brogan007@yahoo.com

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I think it is a good idea

But I am prejudiced.

The drive is easy, but you have to be awake for the turn off to jarabacoa. Best thing to remember is when you can see five (5) smokestacks on your left, get ready to turn for jarabacoa/

After that just follow your nose up the mountain..

Ask anyone if you are confused...

Hb
needs_a_shave.gif

Susan Greco

Feb 19, 2002
Driving

We made the drive from SD to Jarabacoa and back in March. Only warning, the signs in SD are definitely lacking (the maps make it look like it is a straight shot but it isn't...) So long as you can find your way out of Santo Domingo, it is simple. Once you are on the open road, it is nearly impossible to get lost. Buy a couple of decent maps (you will need more than one, trust me) and have some fun. After a few days, you will even start to think that you understand what all the horn honking means!

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
Re: I think it is a good idea

Hillbilly said:
I think it is a good idea . . . . But I am prejudiced.

Ditto that! The freedom to stop, shop, gawk, explore, take pictures, etc is reason enough to rent your own ride.

We did exactly that during our recent trip to the DR in April. I drove 1,200 km during the week. But it was fun and I was able to shoot lots of photos. The road trips are among my fondest memories of the vacation.

Go for it; it'll be an adventure! :)

Swede

tex

Jun 13, 2002
Policia??

I have read in several travel books on the DR that it is not uncommon for a police officer to stop you for a "donation". Is this true or is this just nonsense?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Not any more!

Recently the control of all traffic was handed over to the green uniformed AMET police. These are all newly trained officers from the Army and have a different take (no pun intended) on things. They are pretty hard assed and no nonsence types. However if you are driving correctly, have your seat belt on and are not talking on a cell phone, I seriously doubt that theywill even bother with you.

I have never had a problem with them in several years of driving...

IF anyone else waves you down, just keep going...wave back and look stupid!!..

HB
farmerjohn.gif

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2002
Have You Priced It???

Jarabacoa is beautiful and you should take advantage of the rafting now before President Mejia destroys the river (a large dam is planned). However, the price for renting a jeep in the DR may shock you if you are accostomed to US/Canadian prices. A car would be cheaper and you will not need a jeep to travel to Jarabacoa.

Many rafter stay at Rancho Baiguate. The Brisas del Jimenoa is also nice.

Good luck.

highly reccomend it

The ride is a very easy one, once your on the highway north from the capital it is about a 2 hour ride as you enter Las vegas be prpared for the turn off to Jarabacoa it will be a left turn pass the factory on the left and straight up the mountain. it is a lovely little town, I love the rivers up there. Have fun. I will be doing it in July

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Happy Motoring

I have a little information to add. There are many roads in the D.R. that have speed bumps to control the passing traffic. These bumps are usually located in front of schools, hospitals, police stations, military stations, resorts, and others. Some speed bumps are well marked and posted. Some locations sneak up on you. (Best not to drive at night) Also, the height of the bump varies, some you can cruise over and the remainder you have to crawl over. Therefore, if you opt for a car instead of a jeep, make sure it does have sufficient ground clearance to overcome the speed bumps (and holes) without removing the muffler or important parts. If you have any questions or doubts ask the rental agent. Happy motoring!! Regards PJT

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Probably the best advice of the day PJT. Nothing beats hitting a "policia acostado" (speed bump) over 80 km/h. Gee, the thrill, the missing car parts, the loose tooth fillings!

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
skid marks

Gee PIB, I learned not to take anything for granted recently. I arrived back to the DR recently after being away three months and was out crusing this last Saturday to find a friend and get a new look of the lay of the land. Guess what, the road I was on had recent additions, Speed Bumps. I'm doing 80-100 kph and the wife screams ...."speeeeeeeeeeed bumps". Well, I hit the brakes hard. Left behind on the road skid marks a mile long to match the skid marks in my ropa interior. I was able to slow to a crawl over the bump and cheat the muffler vendor out of a sale. I was not the only one suddenly surprised, the road was blackened by the skid marks on the approaches to the bumps from both directions, along with a jumble of broken auto parts to the roadside. So much for progress. Regards, PJT