Anybody here have Dreadlocks?

Sagitarrian

May 28, 2002
I have dreds and was wondering:
1) Are dreds as socially acceptable/popular in the DR as they are in the US?
2) Where (if anywhere) can I get my hair twisted in Santo Domingo?
3) Cuanto cuesta?

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
I can only answer the first of your questions, as my husband is a proud wearer of dreadlocks. My answer would be that no, dreads are not traditionally accepted - on Dominican men. If you are a Gringo (or Gringa, for that matter), you can expect some sideways glances, but the same stigma would probably not apply, as Gringos are weird anyway, long or short hair.

Sagitarrian

May 28, 2002
Me? A Gringo?

I doubt I'll be considered a Gringo at first-glance since I'm African-American--although I'll have to open my mouth sooner or later;), but thanx for the heads-up Jane. I'll be moving to the DR in August and I'm just trying to get as prepared as possible for the transition...

Meredith

LiVe ThE LiFe YoU iMaGiNeD
Jan 24, 2002
My friend went to the DR and she had dreads. She got some stares and comments, but nothing big. It's only because no one wears them there. You'll be fine!

Free

Apr 28, 2002
So, you are moving to DR? I actually plan on visiting DR for a month in August. I'm interested in teaching English. Of course, I also plan to spend some time on the beach relaxing. Do you have family in DR? To answer your question, I don't believe you will have any problems wih your locks. I find Dominicans to be very open minded people.

Enjoy,
Free

Sagitarrian

May 28, 2002
Yup

I'm waiting to find out whether or not I've been accepted into this program to teach English, but whether I get in or not, I'm still there. If I don't, I'll be entering a Spanish immersion program and will probably be there about 6 months (although I'll probably only be in the immersion program for a month or so).

Yeah, I wasn't sure how brothers with dreds were viewed in the DR, so I just wanted to be ready for the stares, comments, or disrespect (if any at all)...

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
The things people say to my husband re: his hair:

"Dime, Caco Suape!" (Hey, mop head!)

At the Rubby Perez concert: "Caco malo! Qu?tate de ah?!" (Hey, bad head, move out of the way!)

Those make me laugh. I used to get all upset, especially when kids would call him Sankie...used to make my blood boil! Not anymore though, because I realized that where ever we go Toty gets respect because of WHO he is. And I have to admire him for not being a big sheep conformist - he's been to jail more often than your average young man, cuz of his hair, no doubt. And even so, he would never cut it off.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
If you plan to work,people are more conservative on the job!

If I had "Dregs"(I barely have hair at this point!) and was going for a job interview here in Santo Domingo(At a University,bank,medical center),I would get a conservative haircut before I went.If you don,t care if you get the job or not,and your "Dregs" are important to you don,t worry.I have never seen my boss without a suit and tie,or anyone who wants to be the "Boss" someday either! Just my conservative point-of-view. Criss Colon

Sagitarrian

May 28, 2002
Oh Boy

Well, so far it appears as if I should expect to get dissed-- in more ways than one:rolleyes: . It's cool though...thanx to everybody for the heads-up. As long as the women show me love, I think I can live with it:D

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Interesting - the disses are always from other men...Hmmm.

The women are going to love you! Watch out for the prozzies...

Sagitarrian

May 28, 2002
So I take it that the hooker industry is pretty normal in Santo Domingo (?). When you say they'll REALLY like me, does that mean they'll be extra agressive in soliciting their services or offer great discounts:laugh:?

For real though, after seeing Miss DR, I CAN'T WAIT to get down there...If there's more where she came from, I'm sure this will be an unforgettable experience...

arenas809

May 22, 2002
I think its great so many foreigners want to go to DR and everything, but what's confusing me are these people that want to go there, but don't really seem to know ANYTHING about it...don't you think you should have at least some kind of basic knowledge about a place that's going to be REALLY different than what you are used to, before you say hey i want to live there? again i think its great, and i'm not knocking anyone at all...btw sag, prostitution isn't legal in DR, its just tolerated ;)

Free

Apr 28, 2002
Arenas,

This is the right place to learn about DR. You have people from various social and economic backgrounds that share their perspective on DR. I wish I knew about this website before my first visit. I can only assume that Mr. Sag is on this website to learn more about DR. My boyfriend is amazed of how much I have learned about DR from this website.

Free

Free

Apr 28, 2002
Re: Payment of services

If your charm is on point, then you won't have to pay for anything... That all depends, if you pay at home ?????

Sagitarrian

May 28, 2002
Some people are SO smart

Yes arenas809, that's part of the reason I'm here...to learn more about the DR. And did I say anywhere that I thought prostitution was legal? Nooooo....My lighthearted question was a response to Jane J...

And I think I have what it takes to manage without paying, Free:) But I presently live in the rural Midwest and I'm not used to being accosted by hookers on a regular basis either;)

Free

Apr 28, 2002
Good Service

That's good to know.... because good service... comes with a hefty fee..

Enjoy,
Free

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
If that's the case, shouldn't you change your handle, FREE? Unless the service you provide is really, really bad....

(Hee hee - couldn't resist...)

:)

Last edited:

la_rubia

Jan 19, 2002
Jane!!

You almost made me spit out the water I was drinking.. That was a good one... (By the way, I loved your vacation pics)