How to prevent illness?

S

Stefan Herrit

I would suggest that you go to the World Health Center Website, there are numerous reasons for "traveler's sickness." You may develop a bacterial infection, such as an coli strain, or a parasite which sulfa drugs will not benefit.

It is most important that you treat the specific problem, as you could easily create a bad situation by pro actively taking an anti-biotic and developing a "super bacterial infection" as the "bug" develops reistance to the chemical.

It is a very poor and dangerous practice to take an antibiotic for precautionary reason

Stefan Herrit

N

Nina

Oh please.... can you prevent illnesses here at home? Do the same that you would do at home --- easy on the sun, easy on the pina coladas and other drinks and also your fruit intake. Remember, the breakfast that you eat at home is totally different when you are at a breakfast buffet -- fruit+++++ ! People always blame it on the water, but they forget about the other factors. You can get a prescription for lomotil - you only take it if you get the diarrhea, but not take it before hand.

E

ECH, M.D.

First of all Ms. Lopez, "Mom" was asking a very valid question for a visitor to a foreign country and I am sure she did not appreciate your snide remarks. And since you are giving medical advice....just where did you obtain your M.D. degree? I want to be sure and avoid physicians from there. The WHO (World Health Organization) for the uninitiated suggests trimethroprim-sulfa, one tablet daily beginning three days prior to departure and daily while on your trip and continuing for three days after your return to prevent gastrointestinal distress. Escherichia coli and enteric viruses are the most probable causes. Little is knows of the epidemiology though out breaks may be food or water borne. The pathophysiology is uncertain. Since this is a prescription medication it is suggested the person contact their physician for proper advice, dosage and alternatives if they are allergic to sulfa. It is also always advisable to carry anti diarrheal medication with you in addition. Watch WHERE you eat and WHAT you eat. Enjoy.

B

Burmell

I have read a lot about illness in the DR and the bad water. I thik that I should let everyone know that getting ill is not necessarily the rule in the DR. I lived there for a year and have spent months at a time there since and I have NEVER gotten ill while in the DR. I would suggest that you do what I do when there or in any third world country.

1. Don't drink tap water, unless properly filtered. Yes! Even to brush your teeth.

2. Be sure that all food is properly cooked.

3. If it is not cooked be sure that you can peal it. This means watch out for those green leafy vegies.

4. Watch your exposure to the sun. It can make you sick.

5. Eat or drink the exotic foods in moderation.

Now go and enjoy yourself.

N

Nina

Ech,M.D. -I agree what you are saying and I was not "giving medical advise", I was just commenting from my past experiences. People when they go to any tropical island, always think that the water is the problem for their sickness. You must know, that the tourists go crazy on there 1 or 2 week vacation - all inclusive - which means they over do it! -- alcohol++++, sun+++++, acidic fruits+++++. I myself would not take any medication that is not necessary for the fear of having a reaction while down there. So, here in Canada, they normally just prescribe lomotil. I lived down there, and did drink the water - and had no problems. But, not everyone is the same.

P.S. "WATCH WHAT and WHERE you eat" --- some of the local restaurants are much better than the all inclusive hotel food!

N

Nina

I agree. Said very well. Even here in Canada, you have to watch what you eat and how you cook it!

T

thomas

My doctor prescribed some stuff called Lonox, but I'm sure there are other effective anti-diarrhea medicines. He also sent me with a bottle of ampicillin just in case I needed it as anti-biotics may not be readily available. Don't drink tap water, don't brush your teeth in it. Be wary of ice and salads that might have been washed in tap water - most reputable establishments are ok, but if you're suspect, skip them. Although too much partying can lead to upset stomach - it is very wise to be educated about these very real concerns. Enjoy this beautiful country!

M

Mom

Some of you have written and suggested getting a prescription from a doctor prior to going to DR to prevent illness from water etc... What presciption did you get?

M

Maria

Re: How to prevent illness?I don't understand!!!

Burmell I did everything you suggested and still got sick. And I am a Chef so I understand proper food preperation and can spot things that may be a problem easyer then the avarge person. I was so careful and really did everything in moderation I don't understand why I got sick.

J

Jean

Maria:

Any suggestions about what foods to eat. My husband and I are leaving on March 20th for Punta Cana staying at the Riu Bambu. I understand you have to drink bottled water, brush your teeth with bottled water and avoid fruits and vegetables that are washed in water. So what is left??? When you say sick. Were you so sick you had to actually stay in the room for a couple of days. Any info would be appreciated.

M

Mia

An Ounce of Pevention . . .

I don't think that being concerned about getting sick in the DR (as "Mom" is) is an unreasonable concern. I am concerned too because I have a few medical conditions that might make me a bit more vulnerable. Plus I am traveling with my child, and I want to do everything I can to prevent him from getting sick. We simply want to enjoy our vacation. Twenty years ago I visited the DR and no one even mentioned the water. I was there for 10 days with a friend. We ate everything including salads and fruits and fresh fruit juices. I did not get sick. But my friend became very sick. After 48 hours of diarrhea and vomiting, I remembered (duh!) that another friend had given me about 10 Lomotil to take with me. I had forgotten about them!! She was wiser than I and gave them to me before I left for the DR "just in case." The lomotil helped my sick friend a great deal, but she was so fatigued that we layed very low for two more days. Having said all that, I think that it is important to be prepared and to do whatever is necessary to prevent getting sick. This board is a great resource. I intend to not drink the water, eat salads or anything I cannot peal, bring along Pepto Bismol, Imodium AD and to get an anti-microbial antibiotic from my Dr. to use only as a last resort. I also intend to enjoy every second of my vacation in the beautiful DR. I'm a little older now and perhaps more cautious. Certainly after witnessing how sick my friend was in the DR, (and experiencing at home how uncomfortable days of diarrhea can be) I cannot ignore that the possibility of intestinal illness exists. But I don't want to become paranoid. I simply want to have a good vacation. I think Burmell's advice is perfect. Do all the right things and have a good time--and be prepared if you do get sick. Oh, one more thing. Someone mentioned taking an anti-biotic as a preventive. I have read that taking low dose Pepto as a preventive can prevent or reduce the intensity of bacterial intestinal illness, but I'm not too keen on messing with the body until it needs it. I would agree that to consult the World Health Organization web page for prevention is a good idea. Also the US CDC web page (sorry I don't have the URL) has some interesting informaiton on the use of Pepto and imodium. Happy, healthy travels to us all.

J

Jodi

Re: An Ounce of Prevention . . .and some lime juice!

I guess I've been lucky...10 trips to the DR and I've only ever experienced very mild symptoms and only occasionally. As soon as I feel the slightest "disturbance" in my stomache I take an Imodium right away. I've only had to do this a couple of times. I brush my teeth with tap water (making sure not to swallow it of course) and I eat home cooked meals made by my Dominican Mother-in-law and sister-in law. One suggestion for everbody is...if your tummy is starting to bother you, drink some fresh squeezed lime juice. This is what most Dominicans I know do when their tummy's are upset. If you give any bartender a sad look and rub your tummy, chances are he/she will know what you need!

R

refract

I stayed at the Catalonia and got very sick stayed in bed for 36 hours with a fever and diarrhea my husband had the diarrhea but not the fever. He went to get the doctor to come to our room he gave me a stomach pill and antibiotic. I did everything they said no water no fruit not greens not much left to eat but it a good way for some to lose weight I lost five pounds on vacation that tells you what a horrible time we had. I hope you have a better vacation!!!!

M

Maria

yes my husband could not be 5 feet from the bathroom for 24 hrs and bad for 2 days after that. I found out after being home that the hurracane imbalanced the water and made it worse then it was. A plate with tap water on could make you sick. See Your DOCTOR befor leaving and get his or her advise and medication. I stayed at pARADISUS IT WAS PERFICT. Too bad about the water. Its a beautiful place. And don't drink anything that dose not come out of a can or bottle.

M

Maria

Re: MIA read this

Don't fool yourself. This is very seriuos especially if you have kids. The majority of the poeple i spoke with got sick. I found out since i've been home that the hurrican was made water worse. We were very carful did not over drink , over sun, over eat and my husband got very sick. It was not a good time. Please see your doctor befor going. Even brushed our teeth w/ botttled water. Be careful.

M

Maria

Re: nina read this

hate to tell you his your fooling yourself. Its not food persay they way they cook it. ITS THE WATER ITS BAD DONT YOU GET IT!! I"m a chef i understand food prep. MY husband and i took extreme precousions did not over drink, over eat, over sun, brushed our teeth w/ bottled water no ice, and still got sick. Very sick. Most of the people we spoke with got sick to some degree. I wish someone would have told me this befor I went. Thats wht I'm telling you. See A doctor befor you go. I hope you have a better trip then we did. Just trying to help.

S

stefanie

Okay, i'm going to be the one with something positive to say about this. Me and my friend were there for 7 days just last week, we never got sick once. We drank things that didn't come out of a can or bottle and ate whatever we wanted from the buffets and restaurants. No one that we met at our resort got sick except from drinking too much alcohol. Our tour rep told us something important while we were down there, Tourista (which is what everyone fears) and dehydration have the same symptoms. At our infirmary they actually had something that can clear up tourista right away but first just try drinking more fluids that do not have alcohol in them, it may be the root of your problem. We kept ourselves very well hydrated and felt fine the entire trip but we also did not drink an ounce of alcohol which seems to make people more succeptable.