Car vs Bus

C

carol

We plan to spend 3 weeks in the DR. We will fly into La Romana and visit Bayahibe, Punta Cana, Samana, Sosua, Puerto Plata, Santiago, Jarabacoa, and Barahona. We are considering which to use: the bus (Metro/Caribe) or to rent a car. Please advise considering the time it takes between places, enjoyment, and ablility to reach destinations

We haven't read that anyone on this board has used Metro to tour the country but have read in the books that it is a good way to go. Thanks for your help!

T

Tom

A matter of flexibility v. no hassles. When are you going? If after 1 April, email me around the first week of Aprila nd I will tell you how it was

Tom

B

Burmell

I find that there are plusses and minuses either way. If you are not an agressive driver who loves the challenge, you would probably feel more comfortable on a bus. It allows you the opportunity to enjoy the view and relax. On the other hand with a car you can move from place to place at your convenience. Personally I have found that it was worth the hassel to let someone elso do the driving. If you want to go to an outof the way place, you might consider hiring a car a driver for the day. I have done this and it worked out very well. It provided for the best of both worlds.

J

JD

For our first trip to the DR we didn't find driving all that challenging, so I don't think it's only for the so-called aggressive drivers. In fact I think the driving is more suitable to the patients types, who just let the aggressive folks pass them! Two weeks ago we drove from Puerto Plata to Samana and then to Santo Domingo; none of it was seriously difficult. The roads were fine. The main difference with driving in the US is that there are a lot of people and motos in the roads (often no sidewalks), so you have to be extra careful, especially at night. The motos will pass you at 80 kms, with 3 aboard one moto, no helmets.

It does help if you can learn at least the most basic Spanish for street signs and for asking and understanding directions (left, right, etc.).

I highly recommend that you drive, at least some of the time -- especially for the Samana portion of your trip, because there I think you the schedules would be too limited. I haven't taken tour buses often in my travels because my partner and I tend to find them incredibly limiting in terms of freedom, and what you can experience of the countryside.

The main thing I would recommend, if you can, is to fly into Romano but out of Puerto Plata. Drop off fee for AVIS is only $40. That will save you some 5-6 hours of driving, which is really a whole travel day. Then I would suggest you do all the south portion of the country first (la romana/barahona), then rent a car if you haven't already and head out to Samana via the Duarte highway (from Santo Domingo) and Nagua, take AT LEAST 5 days to explore Samana, and then head towards Puerto Plata via the NE coastal road, with stops along the way. Of everything we saw, Samana (namely Las Galeras/Rincon area and Las Terrenas/Punta Bonita area) were by far the most beautiful ... but then we are nature-loving types.

Given the places you are going, I would definitely suggest a car the whole time. I think utlimately the bus/taxi/motconcho route will be more stressful (having to deal with knowing the schedules, negotiating fares, etc.) and less satisfying than driving, which for us was a pleasure once we got used to all the non-car activity in the roads.

OH yeah, and sometimes you do find cars heading towards you in your lane. Just flash your lights, and slow down and move to the right (being careful not to hit any motos), and everything should be OK :)

D

DR One

Metro Bus is an excellent transportation way, but it is primarily recommended if you want to go to a point, and not necessarily as a tour vehicle. If you expect to really get to see the country in your three weeks time, then rent a car. National Car Rental will be offering as of this week brand new Chevrolet Tracker jeeps that are excellent for this project. Request information from their web page. Your schedule flexibility will permit you to stay at several small inns, alternating with other big resorts. If you are arriving by way of La Romana, definitely see Casa de Campo and Altos de Chav?n. Spend a day or two at Club Dominicus, which has a fabulous beach. Tour Bayahibe. Take the Saona excursion. Visit Punta Cana area. Stay at the Melia Bavaro, Bavaro Palace, Riu Palace or check out the Cortecito little hotel, that some readers have recommended. Then, head back to Santo Domingo. I would give in the car for two days and take taxis. The hotel taxis will be able to able to give you a city tour. Stay at the Hotel Frances, Hotel Palace, Hotel Nicolas Nader in the Colonial City. Visit the Vesuvio, Briciola and Pat'e Palo restaurants. Rent the car again, and head out southwest, spending a night at the Salinas High Winds Center hotel, and ask for directions to the Dunas and the Derrumbao Beach. Then head out to Barahona and stay at the Casa Bonita hotel. They will orient you on where to go in the area. Visit Isla Cabritos, you can pat the large iguanas, and Enriquillo Lake. Head back to Santo Domingo and then to Jarabacoa, staying at the Rancho Baiguate, and go white water rafting. You can also stay in the area at the Cerro Alto hotel in Constanza, and visit the Aguas Blancas waterfalls. Probably the people of Rancho Baiguate can take you there. Head to Puerto Plata, visit the Playa Dorada hotel complex, Sosua, the Columbus Waterpark, Cabarete, Playa Grande, Playa Calet?n, Playa Diamante and stay at La Catalina hotel in Catalina, near Cabrera. Head out to Samana and take Kim Beddall's whale excursion, visit Cayo Levantado. Stay a night at Gran Bahia hotel, lovely architecture and views, not so good food. Then head north to Las Galeras and visit Playa Bonita, Playa Coz?n and Playa Rinc?n, staying at Villa Serena. Take a day excursion to see Las Terrenas. Check about dropping off your car in Samana. Take an Air Santo Domingo flight from Portillo Airport in Terrenas back to the Puerto Plata airport, hopefully in time for your departure. Or spend a night at the Sosua by the Sea hotel near the airport.

R

Rebecca

I've driven all over the north coast from Puerto Plata to Samana. It does take some getting used to. They drive different, not as controled as we do. All the signs (if any) are in spanish (of course). But, we had the time of our life. We've taken busses too. It's not bad, but slow (you stop and pick people up a lot) and it can get crowded. I would go with the car, more freedom. You can go any where you want to, any road you want to. Try visiting Los Terenace. It is north of the Samana pennisula.

J

Judy

We're going to be in Sosua for a week, but only plan on renting a car for a couple of days. Do you suggest calling and renting ahead of time or waiting until we get there. National has rentals for $68 a day at Puerta Plata airport location. Is there a location in Sosua?