Sports Saturday

Janice

Jan 12, 2002
First, It's heartwarming to see many of you spent your Friday evenings discussing me, as PIB stated "It's nice to be talked about."

Very early lousy day here, so before I indulge in my addiction (betting), I'll inquire of you all knowing people and perhaps start a little controversy.

The easy ones: Who will win the French Open?

Who will win the Heavyweight Championship of the World?

Who will win the Belmont?

Of course there is the Detroit game, but I don't follow hockey so that is not of interest to me

Gets tougher: The proposition bets

Will we have our first Triple crown Winner in 24? years? (This is sort of interesting, as it seems every 25-30 years, a "great horse (Man O'War in 1920, Citation in 1948? and Secretariat in 1973). Will War Emblem be the Horse of the next 25 years?

Will the Belmont winner come within 2 seconds of "Big Red's" 29 year old record?

This one has no real "line," but will Lewis be finally recognized as the true World champion if he puts the "Cannibal" away, or will Tyson demolish him and send Lewis into boxings hall of obscurity?

My bets (Unless you kindly provide some interesting insight:

Tyson will win when Lewis refuses to answer the bell

Proud Citizen will defeat War Emblem, and not even come close to Secretariats time, and certainly not by 31 lengths going away.

Serena Williams will beat big Sis Venus at the Open

Had to edit this lest I forget the Lakers in 5 (4 if they stay awake)

I'd place a wager on a World Cup game, IF I knew who was playing and had any idea what the game was about beside getting the ball in the net. I'm not ashamed to admit I don't enjoy hockey or soccer simply as I don't understand them, the same reason many put down The NFL, they don't have a clue about anything but a touchdown or completed pass. Enlighten me?

Janice starting a new day, trying to make a living as a para legal (I think thats what Moon Dog dubbed me)

Almost forgot, "our" Lakers covered rather well last night, eh!

Last edited:

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Inredible Sports Saturday

The best bets are Tyson by KO in the first 3 rounds or it's going to be a decision in Lewis's favor. No way Tyson goes to a decision, never has in his career.

So maybe take under 6.5 rounds at +130.

Interesting bets in my opinion are a draw at +2400 - why not throw $5 on that?

Tyson Disqualification at +400, another no-brainer $5 play.

Schilling vs. Pedro. Pedro -145.

Take Schilling - he's liable to throw a no-no today. He comes up big in big games and Fenway will be rocking like it's USA vs. S.Korea.

Robert, not trying to drumb up business, just wetting the appetite.

Janice

Jan 12, 2002
Cleef

Tyson to win, 2 to 1 dog. Prop bet on Tyson TKO, I don't think Lewis likes getting hit

1 win in the basket, Serena won in straight sets

Janice

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Boxing is fixed anyway.

I wish they'd just cut to the chase and have Vince McMahon come out and introduce the contestants.

If you have the newest TV Guide it may even have the winner already listed.

I still think the best bets are a DQ or a draw.

Speaking of fixed, the NBA is more unbelievable than the WWF. The officials are being corrupted by NBC to make it go at least 6 games, too much commercial revenue to be had.

The officiating is so bad, just pitiful.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
I only will bet on a Sure Thing! But if it is a sure thing is it really a bet?

My Buddy Helio Castro-Neves will win Tonight in Texas.
Juan P. montoya in Montreal tomorrow
Tony Kannan at Laguna Seca tommorow afternoon.

I am going to a Autocross Sunday morning also so for me this weekend is about a real sport!

Tony C.

Janice

Jan 12, 2002
"Indy" Racing

Tony

I used to be about the only female in my school who avidly followed Indy Racing. I have fond memories of one of my Father's partners taking me to the Brickyard for that great race, his firm represented some guy named Andretti :)

Since the split into CART and Indy, it just hasn't been the same.

You of all people surely recall when the 500 was the most watched event in US sports.

Janice

Janice

Jan 12, 2002
No triple Crown

A 70/1 longshot wins, Proud Citizen didn't make it either.

Thankfully I took that prop that Secretariat's time was never even challenged

Janice

Janice

Jan 12, 2002
Some guys have all the luck

There is always someone who takes a chance with the longshot, one of the guys put his 100 on Savara and won over 7 grand!!!!

Slow race, over 5 seconds off Secretariat's time

Janice

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Re: "Indy" Racing

Janice said:

Since the split into CART and Indy, it just hasn't been the same.

You of all people surely recall when the 500 was the most watched event in US sports.

Janice

CART Rules!
I only follow IRL because I have to.
BTW Paul Tracey really won the INDY 500 but they will never give it to him because he is a CART guy!

Tony C.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Yeah Lewis!

Predictable outcome...........
ya gotta feel sorry for Tyson tho'. It didn't even look as if he was trying.

eric

Feb 13, 2002
The fight

Tyson was simply outclassed by the best heavyweight in the world today.Hats off to Lewis,job well done! Now back to the hockey game,go canes!

eric

Feb 13, 2002
The game

OOPS! Spoke to soon.Detroit 3 Carolina 2 in triple overtime.What a game!

Janice

Jan 12, 2002
Tyson/Lewis

What a farce! Another loss in my book, but what a joke. Tyson didn't throw more than 20 decent punches, he appeared to suffer from the "Douglas syndrome," took a few good shots and didn't know what to do. He stayed outside and fought Lewis's fight, that made the outcome predictable

I really love when someone say the outcome of a sporting event is "predictable" after the event, those people should be multi billionaires :), but then maybe they are. How about the "predictable" score of Lakers/Nets tonight????????

I "predict" the Lakers will win, but figuring the huge point spread, will they cover?

>Now that the "moving line" has gone from -13 to -3, I think the game is pre detirmed. Nets in a squeaker Edited section<

Lewis certainly beat Tyson badly, but he still will not be known as a great heavyweight. In fairness to Lewis, he has fought and beaten every one out there, but this becomes the problem, no one ion the division. I believe Lewis will be remembered in the same manner as Holmes (In my opinion the best technical heavyweight EVER), simply because they both dominated at a time when there was nothing to dominate

Something needs to happen to the Heavyweight Division or we are going to return to pre-Tyson days of no interest (like him or hate him, he caused controversy which stimulates interest)

I guess I "over edited" my own message, losing text. I had originally posted that the fight was a financial flop, didn't even sell out. we were offered tickets up to and including fight time!

It was marketed as the "biggest financial fight in history, available in 50 plus million homes, except few bought it and even less attended it. We watched on CC from Ceasar's, no one wanted to go to Memphis, even with comped tickets?

Well, how about the winning margins for tonight's B/Ball game, all you that say events are "predictable'

Oh, how many predicted the 70/1 Savara to win the Belmont. yeah I know, someone had a feeling (Actually over 2000 someone's had a feeling)

Janice, Figuring a way to recoup losses (Thanks Serena for some help) and working early on Sunday with a fat head

Last edited:

Janice

Jan 12, 2002
Mom

I'm not sure you will find much sympathy for Tyson, but you are right, it did appear to the uninitiated that he was not trying. In all of Tyson losses, he has become disoriented and confused after receiving a few hard shots, he is simply not used to being on the receiving end and can not recover, though he didn't have this problem when Cus was in his corner.

If you recall the Douglass fight, Tyson looked to his corner constantly for advice and received none, resulting in his memorable KO

As for Lewis, I can tell you the advertising dollars nor request for endorsements are NOT coming in, he just does not stir any interest.

Janice

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Any reason to hope we are finally done with Tyson? He is controversial alright, but these days seems to do his best fighting in the pre-fight press conference scuffles and in his assaults on women.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Janice, a query

I saw where a $2.00 bet to win brought like $2,400. So if the guy put $100 on the 70::1 shot, shouldn't he have won close to $100,000??The trifecta was over $24,000!

Tyson didn't have much inside there to start with, and if he was on his "meds" he could not have had his ?nimal"very much up...It was sad, but free here in the DR.....

Back to Horse Racing: The favorite damned near killed himself out of the gate....Was a terrible thing to see in Slow-Mo....

HB
needs_a_shave.gif

Janice

Jan 12, 2002
Hillbilly

In Pari Mutuel betting, you don't take the 'odds" and extrapolate the winnings ex:70/1 does not always equal 70.00 for 1 dollar bet (Of which there is no such thing)

In this case it was nearly the "odds" payout, a 2.00 win ticket on Sarvar paid something like $142.00 and change for a 2.00 bet. So multiply 142.00 times 50 two dollar bets and you have the seven thousand plus dollars

War emblem got bumped, shoved and almost went to his knees, but in 73' Secretariat (Can't tell who my favorite is can you) actually was knocked to his knees and won the race!

Janice