Knowledge

Pavan

Jan 18, 2002
I watched a very interesting program about the assasination of Trujillo on the History Channel.

It shows pictures of the people involved, how the plot came about after the murder of the Mirabal sisters etc.

Most important it showed pictures of the body of Trujillo, the aftermath, the body in State etc.

In fact one of the people involved in the shooting General Barreras is still alive today.

Now if you talk to young people in Dom. Rep. about the subject they will say that the body was never found, they don?t know who did it, etc etc. The whole episode is shrouded in mistery by the young folks.

Is it because of lack of knowledge? Purposeful mis information by succeding governments in schools? Or a taboo subject to discuss?

You views....?

Janice

Jan 12, 2002
History Channel

Was that the regular HC in the US you viewed that on? I'm sure they will run it again today if you just watched it

Janice

urbanus

Apr 17, 2002
knowledge

to missing_dr:

A very good book about the assassination of Trujillo, if you want to know more about this, is "30 de Mayo: Trujillo Ajusticiado", published in 1999 by Eduardo Garcia Michel, in Spanish. In this book, close relatives of the people who participated in the assassination were interviewed.

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
They definately did find his body. In the garage of Juan Tomas Diaz, across the street from our apartment.

The body was buried in DR but when Ramfis fled he took it with him...believe it is buried in France.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Is it a chinese curse, "may you live in interesting times?". I am sure it wasn't fun for him when it happened. But boy what I'd give to have El Jefe's memory!

jojocho

Jul 10, 2002
To the best of my knowledge the death of Trujillo has never been a mistery here in the DR. Everybody knows who did it and there are plenty of documents, pictures and film that show all that took place in those days in the DR. My grandmother still has newspaper clipings of those days and almost everybody in the island had to go to the "novenario" of Trujillo. More than once I've seen people on TV talking about how the planning of the assasination took place and giving details of those days. People who say that the body was never found and that they don't know who did it are just not educated in the topic.

Afetr his death Trujillo was burried in San Cristobal. When the Trujillo family left the island they took his body with them aboard the "Angelita", the family's yatch.

If anybody wants to learn more about the Trujillo era, and of his assesination I highly recommed the video set called "El Poder del Jefe", or if you want a more novelesque account of the facts I recommend a book by Mario Vargas Llosa called "La Fiesta del Chivo", it's a novel with a lot of fiction in it, but it has plenty of accurate historical facts that can accurately portrait the situation in the DR during the end of the regime.