The whereabouts of Colon...

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
MADRID, Spain -- DNA technology could be used to settle a 500-year-old mystery -- where is Christopher Columbus buried?

Authorities in Seville, Spain, and Santo Domingo, in the Dominican Republic, both claim to be watching over the remains of the famed explorer.

In a bid to settle the issue, Spanish history teacher Marcial Castro hopes to dig up both sets of bones and extract some strands of DNA.

Those samples will be compared with DNA from Hernando Colon, Columbus' son through an extramarital affair, whose remains are the only available, authenticated ones of a close relative of Columbus, Castro told the Associated Press.

continues on this link:

http://www.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/europe/06/11/columbus/index.html[/URL]

The wonders of DNA testing....

So what do you guys think is Cristobal Colon buried in el Faro???:knockedou

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
I've even read that his remains are purportedly in Havana, Cuba -in yet *another* supposed case of mistaken identity, the Spanish removed the remains from Hispa?ola to save them from the French and then sent the wrong box back to Spain. A story so nice, they had to tell it twice?

I WANT to believe he's buried in Sto Dgo.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
I am twisted...

Now if we check'em and it turns out there's no match, one can infer that a) It's not easy being a sailor's wife (or mistress) or b) Columbus never existed. :)

I don't have a problem believing any of the 3 stories, all three sound plausible yet stupid.

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
I read the same article while I was in Madrid... but supposedly they are leaning towards the DR as the actual burial spot. They are thinking it will be a good thing for the DR in the end if it comes back that he is buried there. (tourism and all)

But I saw the tomb in Sevilla and it's a load of crap. It was built like 300 years after he died or something, how authentic do we think that is??????

It's true, Jane J., there is a lot of people (cubans, that is) that claim he's in Cuba! And what's the whole deal with him calling both the DR and Cuba 'the most beautiful island on Earth' or whatever the quote is. Which country did he say it about?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If it happens

It will be a complete about-face by the Dominican government.

Many years ago, I proposed a similar study to be carried out by a famous guy from the University of California at Berkley....

All I got at every stop was the coldest of shoulders.

Face it: It is The Doctrine of Dominican Identity...the Admiral is there!!
Of course it is just his bottom half, according to those few that were witnesses to the transfer some years ago.

Talk about stonewalling...wait until they try and talk to the people in Patrimonio....jijiji

HB

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Pib,

There's one more possibility...he got tired of the sea, took a sabbatical to Streator, Illinois, returning to his beloved Hispaniola and still alive, posts on DR1...

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Hillbilly, I also read that the Catholic Church is not thrilled and excited about digging him out from the Cathedral where he is supposedly buried in Sevilla. Furthermore, the scientists who were proposed to do the testing warned that bones so old might only produce contaminated DNA.

I think this is a doomed project anyways.

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
OK, Hillbilly, spill the beans.

Hillbilly said:
Of course it is just his bottom half, according to those few that were witnesses to the transfer some years ago. HB

Why only the bottom half? What's the story? What happened to the remainder of the body?

Swede

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
The story ran in DR1 Daily News on 24 May.

Genetic testing for Columbus? remains?
El Caribe newspaper reports that two Spanish professors, Marcial Castro and Sergio Algarrada have petitioned forensic doctor Jose Antonio Lorente to conduct tests on Christopher Columbus? remains. The Spanish city of Seville still claims to have his remains in their cathedral, but most sources agree the remains are located at the Columbus Lighthouse Monument in Santo Domingo. Lorente, who heads the genetic identification laboratory at the University of Granada, has been successful using DNA testing to solve criminal cases.?
The professors want to exhume the remains of Columbus?s illegitimate son, Hernando, to compare his DNA with that of Columbus? alleged remains in both Seville and Santo Domingo. Samples of the remains from both locations would have to be tested to determine if there is even enough material to do the DNA testing. Since the remains are no longer in the Santo Domingo Cathedral where they used to be housed, the approval of the Catholic Church is not seen as necessary. However, the government of the Dominican Republic would have to give its approval to the investigation.?
The studies may be done in time for the 500th anniversary of the death of the famous admiral in 2006.?
Luis Valdez Yapur, director of the Columbus Lighthouse Monument said it is universally accepted that the remains of Columbus are in Santo Domingo. He says this matter was decided during an Organization of American States meeting held in 1929 in Costa Rica and the documents that substantiate the claim are at the monument. He reaffirmed that it was the final wish of the admiral to be buried in Hispaniola.?
On the other hand, anthropologist Carlos Andujar Persinal, who is the director of the Museum of Dominican Man, said there has always been a theory that the remains of the discoverer are not in one single place, but were distributed in different locations. He said the speculation is to please the egos of each of the countries making the claim. He feels there should be no problems with the Dominican government granting permission if a formal request is made.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Where are they buried???????

Who Cares!!!!!!

I hope they are buried somewhere else so that stupid "Faro a Colon", a badly designed ugly and useless white elephant architectural monstruosity could be closed down for good. It is in the middle of an ugly neighborhood anyway. Our Santo Domingo Cathedral can do without them too. That graceful building can stand alone without Columbus. All we need is Cardinal Lopez Rodriguez standing up over there shaking hands and he can draw more crowds than Columbus, specially if he makes it to Pope.

In fact, the Cathedral is probably the only monument(building) left standing from Colonial days that is truly legitimate. The rest have turned into fakes by the hands of architects that have disfigured them with with their fake restorations, which keep going on. They have made millions ruining our "ruins" from the past.

TW