Marrige to Dominicans / Visa's

CHERYL.W

Mar 14, 2002
My boyfriends brother is getting married in the next few weeks to someone he hardly knows. Does this make it easier for Dominicans to get visa's to the country their girlfriend / wife lives in ?

I am not planning to marry my dominican boyfriend, just wondering why so many of the couples that I know have got married so quickly

Thanks

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Oh cheryl, this is a can of worms

This has been discussed ad nausium over the past few years.

Basically it is to get a visa. Your boyfriend comes from what can only be described as an "underprivileged" economic sector with no hopes of ever getting a visa to live in the States or Europe or Canada, except by playing a sport or by finding some lonely heart that needs being told that they are the only one, until it sounds like a broken record....and this is a safer alternative than walking across the Sonoran Desert or taking a small boat to Puerto Rico..

Hb, not really an ogre....
farmer.gif

Corona

Apr 18, 2002
Thank you, Hillbilly-- this was succinct and could leave no wrong impression. *sigh*

CHERYL.W

Mar 14, 2002
I dont really understand your reply.

Does it make it easier to get a visa if you are married.

What are the rules / costs to get a visa both being married and not being married to someone in the country you want to visit??????????????

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Yes, it makes it much easier to get a visa to a country if you are married to a citizen of that country. Few, if any, of the Dominicans that your friends have or are marrying would qualify for a visa otherwise. Having a girlfriend who is a citizen doesn't help, but having a wife who is makes a big difference. Husbands and wives are expected to be able to live together, and the foreigner who marries a Dominican isn't expected to give up his or her citizenship.

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I thought I read somewhere that Canada's immigration laws are being changed soon (June 30th?). Does anyone know the details and if it will help anyone who is trying to reunite with a loved one?
Cheers,
Nelly

NoMoreSnow

Apr 10, 2002
Canada's New Immigration Law

Effective June 28, 2002, Canada's immigration law, the "Immigration and Refugee Protection Act", will allow Canadian residents and landed immigrants to sponsor Married, Same-sex, and Common-Law partners for entry into Canada.

Common-law is defined as a conjugal relationship lasting 1 year. This new law will address the discrimination against same-sex and common-law partnerships that is in the current law.

NMS

Last edited:

Meredith

LiVe ThE LiFe YoU iMaGiNeD
Jan 24, 2002
Canadian Immigration.....

No MOre Snow,
That is very interesting! But, isn't that a little too easy for people to come over? Only 1 year common law? DO you need proof somehow of your relationship?
Very interesting! Any more news on the subject?

Helen

Jan 1, 2002
More details...

Mere, the new law goes into effect June 28, 2002.
Basically, the emphasis will be on family reunification. The scoring system has also been changed and will make it more difficult for individuals without any type of family sponsorship to enter Canada even if they are skilled or professional workers.
One of the main changes is that the sponsorship and applicant forms could be filed at the same time, along with all required documentation and medical certification to the Central processing centre in Mississauga, Ontario. This will definitely speed up the process especially for applicants from the DR since their applications are overseen out of Haiti.
Another is that if a family member had been refused entry into Canada previously for health reasons because they were considered a "drain" on the health system, they will have the opportunity to reapply and be considered. The ones who won't be reconsidered are those who had been denied due to medical problems which posts a risk to the general public, ie, a communicable or contacious disease.
These are just some of the highlights...check out the CIC website for more info.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
That is going to hurt

Must be Newfies making Canada's new immigration laws...

One year-common law?? Toronto will soon be the third largest Dominican city in the world. Maybe they should spell it
To(ro)nto????

The US requires three years and if there is a divorce or separation before that time, the visas are reviewed for cancellation...

Sankies can't read but man oh man how word of this will travel...

HB, confused..

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
May not be as bad as we think. If the guy/girl has to prove that they lived together for a year. Will be easy to show the person from another country has been in the DR for a year or not. But I'm sure they'll find a way around that too.

Hot here today.
First we freeze then we get smog alerts. Not related to above. Having one of those lost days

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Anna, if I understood the above postings correctly, the one year is only for common law. What about married couples? If you look back at CherylW.'s thread-starting post, you'll see that her brother is marrying someone he hardly knows and many of the couples she knows have married or are rushing to do so. Other than the snow and cold, what is to keep all these newlyweds from flocking to Canada?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Yes Ken, the one year in the new law coming is for common law. I guess in the long run it's cheaping to get married than to take a year off and living with someone. If I don't make any sense today it's beacuse we have hit 30 degrees and my brain isn't working. LOL.less than usual

I'm sure the others will tell you that it still takes about a year (if all goes well) from the time they apply for a spouse's visa.

Last edited: