Morality Question

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
I have a question. I know there have been many posts on this board regarding soft drugs (i.e.marijuana) and the severe penalties associated with possessing even a trace amount in DR. However I would like to know why other offenses such as prostitution and drunk driving seem to be very tolerated. What do you think is the government's and societys thinking with respect to this issue. Thanks for your responses in advance.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
One of the two is Not really Illegal is a Part Answer

Mcinbrass said:
However I would like to know why other offenses such as prostitution and drunk driving seem to be very tolerated.

By and large, and I think it has never been proven one way or the other 100%, prostitution is not illegal in DR, so calling it an offence is wrong.

Additionally, I doubt the members here would sanction drunk driving either. The driving in DR is horrifying enough without adding liquor to the mix.

The fact is that unlike say, Canada, or Netherlands, or parts of USA, having a small amount of marijuana in the DR and being caught with it, can land you in the slammer for a long, long time.

As such the general tone of a lot of members posting here is to eschew the use or talk about buying and selling and using for the sake of anyone who might think they are where they came FROM vs. where they ARE. I think more as to warn you then to moralize on the choice being made.

This is their (DR Government) idea of a law, and is not uncommon in a lot of countries, whether or not your attitude is pro -grass where you live.

You're not in Kansas anymore, [edited name of the dog from wizard of oz that has a terrible Spanish translation]

(Not that Kansas is all that tolerant towards grass, I'd think).

Last edited:

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
I think we explained this at length in that other thread. But in regards to prostitution I have to say that there are few countries/cultures where prostitution has ever being heavily punished. Prostitution, for most people, constitutes more an annoying activity than a serious crime. You would not like to see prostitutes picking up customers in front of your house not because it is inherently dangerous, but because it is annoying and it lowers the value of your property. I have the feeling that catholic countries in general are more permissive of prostitution than Protestants. There was a time when the Catholic Church sponsored/owned brothels, if I remember correctly.

Drunk driving is another story. It is illegal. It will also land you in jail. However the difference between drug use and alcohol abuse is that since drug use could land you in jail for a longer time, drunk driving is seen as a lesser evil. Why is drug use so sternly penalized? If you read the other thread you might remember my comment that the drug policy in DR is mainly directed at protecting the US from traffickers that use the DR as a bridge. Putting users in the same package with dealers was easy, so they (legislators), being the stupid people they are, did just that.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
How About this Instead?

Jane J. said:
Ouch - there's no need to resort to name-calling, rick. ;)

When in Rome don't do what the Romans don't do.

Signed

[Edited: was name of the dog in Wizard of Oz that has a hilariously odd coincidental Spanish translation that is not appropriate but totally unintentional]
Kansas City, KS

Last edited:

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
Prostitution is much more than just an annoyance, It is the type of activity that promotes and proliferates sexually transmitted diseases. It also supports organized crime which uses the $$ to fund other illegal activites not to mention that the $$ is not taxed. By the way it is illegal in DR however tolerated. Yet enforcement in DR is next to nil. As far as drunk driving the same thing. Nil as far as enforcement. Why the imbalance with respect to a little grass?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
It is part of the Hipocracy of the DR!

On the one hand,the penalties are harsh for drug use.While on the other hand much of the drug trade to the US is "transhipped" through the DR!This "selective enforcement" of drug laws allows the generals of the National Police,the Military,and the politicians to come down hard against "Drug Abuse" for the TV News,while at the same time controling the drug trade.There is a "LAW" against "everything" in the DR!The selective enforcement,and non-inforcement of those laws gives tremendous power,and economic gain,to those who make,enforce,and judicate those "laws"!That said,who needs grass when you have so many incredibly beautiful women to help you pass the time of day,and night!Which is easy for me to say at 55,when I tried every drug known to man when I was in my "Wonder" years,18 to 35!I have now narrowed my "Vices"to, "The Ladies"CRISCO;)

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Mcinbrass said:
It is the type of activity that promotes and proliferates sexually transmitted diseases. It also supports organized crime which uses the $$ to fund other illegal activites not to mention that the $$ is not taxed.

Which is one of the many reasons it should be legalized.

Tony C.

x_man

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
My opinion...

Throw all pimps (chulos) in jail and may be castrate 'em too. They are the
ones that do the crimes. And give the working ladies some respect!
They are not doing it just for themself. X

Ps on my last visit I noticed cocain rearing it's ugly head in DR, the beginning
of the end for innocent fun.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Re: My opinion...

x_man said:

Ps on my last visit I noticed cocain rearing it's ugly head in DR, the beginning
of the end for innocent fun.

You just noticed Cocaine Now? Yayo has been a popular recreational drug in the DR since the 70's. For years it was easier to obtain than weed.
It hasn't had a bad affect on "Innocent Fun"(your words, not mine) in the least!

Tony C.

x_man

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Tony

What I mean is the environment for 'innocent fun' takes a turn for
the worse with yayo. X

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
[B]Mcinbrass[/B] said:
Prostitution is much more than just an annoyance, It is the type of activity that promotes and proliferates sexually transmitted diseases... By the way it is illegal in DR however tolerated. Yet enforcement in DR is next to nil.
Let's start from the back. Prostitution is not illegal in DR. That according to our very own legal expert.

Second, prostitution per se cannot be blamed entirely (or even significantly) for the proliferation of diseases nowadays. Lack of education and carelessnes are.

My concerns about prostitution go deeper, it all comes down to why women prostitutes themselves. Other than that I am all for "it's between consenting adults" and all that.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
I feel....

Prostitution and marajuana use are minor and victum-less offenses. Driving drunk however is VERY dangerous(muy peligroso). Dominican legislature have to get there heads out of there asses and the entire country has to fugure out a way to address/change the problems with corruption on all levels. Methinks that the police in DR make a pretty penny as a result of the stiff drug laws/penaltys. Know whaddeyemean?(if you get caught you will!)
JMHO,
ILoveDR

Jim Hinsch

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
geocities.com
Get it through your heads

Prostitution is not an "offense" of ANY kind. It is not an offense. It is not a PROBLEM. It is LEGAL.

And it makes sense too. Few do SOMETHING for NOTHING. Why pick out one SOMETHING that EVERYBODY does (sex. where did you come from, a test tube?) and make it a crime when that SOMETHING involves cash compensation vs. a zillion other methods, ranging from love and security and promises of forever to a fun night on the town.

Sounds to me like protest of envy. Down with the rich, down with those that can get laid, down with the privileged, down with the big corporation, ...

Who might these people of envy be in the case of prostitution? Hint. It isn't the men.

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
Not an Offense?

I never passed a sexually transmited disease to someone through the work I do and had that person pass it off to his unknowing wife or family. (Victimless?) I always pay taxes on the money I make through my profession. If it is legal in DR then why do you hear of these "raids" they conduct all the time in Boca Chica and Sosua. The pimps who make $$ off prostitution and other illegal activities are I suppose doing nothing wrong either?

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Raids are more nuisance related to apepase the AI's

Mcinbrass said:
I never passed a sexually transmited disease to someone through the work I do and had that person pass it off to his unknowing wife or family. (Victimless?) I always pay taxes on the money I make through my profession. If it is legal in DR then why do you hear of these "raids" they conduct all the time in Boca Chica and Sosua. The pimps who make $$ off prostitution and other illegal activities are I suppose doing nothing wrong either?

The raids have tended to be aimed at the so called rings of underage prostitutes, who I have yet to actaully see, or the street girls (not all of which or many of which for that matter have chulos, I know none who do) who are offending the frightened masses in the Hamaca, Don Juan etc., who are petrified to go out at night due mainly to presentations by the tour directors that say they will be mugged or worse as a pretext to have them stay inside the walls and spend their money there vs. the town.

The raids also line the pockets of the cops who take bribes of cash or services to let them go. Interesting that in raids as you say or other police presence that if a girl is with a turista they leave them alone - since the police are allegedly protecting the turistas they should peel these young ladies away from their companions to keep them the safest, first. But they don't.

Incidentally I have seen lots of Hamacadamias with the wrist bracelets in the company of street girls including paying for them to stay in the hotel or using short time rooms, so the AI dwellers apaprently are not feeling too badly about this issue either, at least some of them.

I would think in many countries where prostitution is not that prevalent or legal ( I agree with Jim H., it is legal) that the AIDS/VD rate would be quite low, using your logic that it is mainly spread by prostitutes.

Yet it happens quite a lot and if a married man gets STD's from a street girl and then he passes it to his wife how can you blame the girl? She didn't screw the married man's wife - and he didn't use a condom either apparently. Maybe infidelity should be the crime?

Finally, Nevada and many Canadian prostitutes (legal here, only pimping/soliciting is not) pay income tax. I think DR prostitutes are not alone in not paying, e.g playeros, vendaderos, colmado owners, taxi and motoconcho drivers. Nice argument though if it was not baseless.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Re: Not an Offense?

[B]Mcinbrass[/B] said:
Starting from the back again. Please read the link I provided above. You will find that Mr. Guzman explained the legal status of prostitution in DR. I did not make it up.

On to your first comment, who is the victim and who is the perpetrator in the case that you mentioned above? Surely the wife and kids, but for the cheating man I have no pity. It just happened that he had sex with a prostitute that happened to be HIV positive. Same thing would have happened if he had cheated with another HIV-positive non-prostitute woman. The reason there are so many HIV-positive prostitutes in DR it's again, because of carelessness, lack of information and the unwillingness of many men (and sometimes prostitutes themselves) to use condoms.

I still believe it is all about "consenting adults". When this is not the case then I believe we have a crime. Not to say I'd like to see prostitutes picking up customers in front of my condo.