New Business In Dr

Alison

Jun 23, 2002
I am looking to start a tourist based business in DR but need help in research. Contacts needed and advice on all aspects of business in DR. I'm currently living in UK so information on visas etc. would be appreciated as well as employment law and property purchase.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
First you need or should get your "Residency" in the DR to work and be legal. Many, many don't but I think it is a good idea to do it right. Cost about 1000- US dollars for me to get.

Then you have to pick a part of the country that suits your ideas which of course you have only mentioned Tourism. There is the North Coast which I personally like and then there is Boca Chica, and Juan Dolio on the east coast that others her like and probably 25 other popular places.

You can own property here as a foreigner so there is no problem with that. Post some more info and I would be happy to give you my two cents.

Regards
Escott

Alison

Jun 23, 2002
BUSINESS IN DR

The general idea is to purchase a bar with living accommodation. I'm also a qualified accounts technician and my partner is a mechanical engineer so we have those skills we can offer too.
How long would it take to get residency?
Where do we apply for residency?
I reaslise we have alot more research to do to settle on location, we visited San Juan but are thinking about Puerto Plato. Advice on this is also welcome. Thank you.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I would suggest you post your questions on getting residency on the legal page so that you can get input from the resident lawyer, Fabio Guzman. Be sure and include in your questions how much of the residency-getting process you can complete while still in the UK.

Getting residency while residing in the DR doesn't take long, but it is advisable to have the assistance of a reputable attorney.

Once you have your residency you should also get a personal identification card, called a cedula. The attorney you use for your residency can help you with that, also.

PS: Do you mean Santo Domingo? San Juan is in Puerto Rico.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
It took me about 3 months in total to get my residency. I can give you an email address to my attorney in Puerto Plata or you can use the one on this board in the legal message board who happens to be a nice fellow and seems to run a very efficient business.

Took only one trip to the Capital after I gave the attorney all my paper (birth certificate, letter from Police saying I wasnt wanted in 20 states, x number of pictures and I also gave letters of credit from a bank, a brokerage house and a letter of recommendation from 2 banks.

On my next trip down it was completed.

I then changed my name from Scott to Escott because the Dominicans have a hard time pronouncing SC of Scott and call me ES Cott. I didn't change it legally but enjoy the new pronunciation.

I am also a qualified drinker so let me know where in P. P. you open so I can visit and help your economy:)

Regards

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Ken,
Perhaps the good lady is referring to RIO San Juan near Playa Grande?

Alison,
Derek (another Ex-Pat Brit - via South Africa) is looking to sell "SOMEWHERE NICE" which is also known as the British Pub, in the down town section of Puerto Plata! Not that I would recommend starting in the bar business until you have found out how things work (or DON'T work) in this country, but I can find out what he is asking if you like. It will give you an idea of how costly this will be!!! Maybe get you some sales figures too??!!

Bars open & close regularly here so don't hold your breath trying to make a fortune - or even a decent living for that matter!! You will find lots in the archives - see how many actually decided to go ahead with the idea! - Grahame.

Alison

Jun 23, 2002
BUSINESS IN DR

The reason I am here is to do the research to find out how things work before embarking on this adventure. Bars open and close in this country too, any business requires dedication, hardwork and luck! This isn't something I'm going into with my eyes closed but I will look into the archives as part of this research, at least we know we'll have one customer!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Remember that Eddy is selling the Sports Bar in sosua

There is a going concern....You can post a question or two here or get in touch with him directly...
HB

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Coming from a family that owns and runs bars in the UK I can tell you it's very different in the DR.

I suggest you spend some time in the DR and do some first hand research and try and visit as many bar owners as possible.
At the end of the day, sitting down with an existing DR bar owner for 5 mins will give you more information than you could ever find on this site.

Below is the email address of a British guy that's doing and has done what you want to do. I strongly recommended you contact him (Peter) and ask away. He will not sugar coat and I'm sure you will be surprised if not shocked at how different it really is in the DR.

playa.vista@codetel.net.do

D

dianepellerin

A bar in Puerto Plata

I know a bar for rent where you can live also, it is located in Puerto Plata. Maybe it could be your answer. I can also suggest a lawyer for your residency, she is very honest. Contact me: dianepellerin@yahoo.com