business idea

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
Just an idea maybe someone wants to borrow it...

Are there any paintball places in the DR??? it seems like some enterprising individual could set up a business near sosua or cabereta that way...

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Paintball is a pretty expensive hobby here. Some of these guns go for 1500 dollars or more. It would be substantially more in the DR. Would tourists go there for Paintball? Perhaps if there was someone who promoted it but there seems to be not much interest in promoting tourism in the DR.

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
to clarify... I have no interest in starting such a business.

I think the cheaper guns can be picked up for $150 US a piece.. Here in the US is they charge about $50 a person I think.. That includes camo clothes and goggles I guess. Property could be leased from a farmer for a couple thousand a year. It seems like a low capital business....

Hard to say if you would draw in tourists. I think you could advertise locally with the hotels... From what I can see people rent motorcycles, mountain bikes, go hiking, horseback riding. It seems like this wouldnt be too different

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I am partners in a good sized paintball store. Biggest in the area. My partner run games at West Point and at a bunch of Colleges. He has a pretty big business. It IS expensive to play this but they do spend the money. I just don't know if they would in the DR. It would be more expensive there because it has to be imported from the US.

My partner has a team that competes around the country.

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
always thought it was a pretty cool game but somehow I have never actually played... My brothers have gone a few times...

Anyway, I thought it might be nice to start a thread of peoples unused business ideas.. Lots of bright people out there with ideas but without the time or motivation to try them...

anyone? anyone? anyone?

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
There was a paintball club here about 10 years ago. It was located near KM 22 of Duarte Highway. I was there in a couple of ocassions. I don't know if it's still open. I'll see what I can find out about it.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
There WAS a paintball excursion offered to the tourists up in Puerto Plata area some 5 years ago - it never took off. Some weekends it got busy with Dominican Businessmen sending some of their staff there for a good "Shoot out" but that is about as far as it went - not many tourists could get attracted to it!!

As far as excursions are concerned, I think the moto is 'Keep it simple, all inclusive & non thought provoking" otherwise you only get a very selective market!!! - Grahame.

DRtechie

"everyday is a holiday"
Jan 27, 2002
phiota.net
thought of it already

I was actually writing a business plan to open up a paintball field in DR a couple of months ago. I was unable to continue because of the lack of information and market research...not many people knew about paintball in DR.

I think that in order for this type of business to be successful in DR, the main audience shouldn't be tourist....instead, strive to develop a sub-culture around the sport, and there are many ways to do that.