Toronto Reunion

Meredith

LiVe ThE LiFe YoU iMaGiNeD
Jan 24, 2002
Toronto, Reunion.... Friday, July 5th! Who can make it? I say we all get together and go out for a night of salsa and merengue!!
Who can come? It will be fun times!! Let me know!!!!!

Helen

Jan 1, 2002
Email me details...

Hi Meredith,
Would love to join you guys if the little one permits! Send me the details on where you guys are going to meet up, etc.
Just be warned that the public sector workers (outside) are on strike at the moment, so garbage collection is non existent...TO pretty stinky right now especially with the heat.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Meredith
I'll let you know after this weekend. Where are you planning on going?
Helen, I Hope the dowtown has private garbage collection or no one would be able to get into the shops.

Last edited:

debs

Jun 10, 2002
Meredith,

Let me know the details...I'm in the Toronto area and would love to meet up with you all.

Deb

debs

Jun 10, 2002
Helen, remember me?

We met last year at the Dominican Fiesta in Brampton. How are things going? How's Alejandro? Is your hubby in Canada yet?

Deb

Helen

Jan 1, 2002
Anna...be forewarned...

Anna Coniglio said:

Helen, I Hope the dowtown has private garbage collection or no one would be able to get into the shops.

Anna, there were supposed to be designated sites for garbage dumping but, due to the long lines to them, some ppl have taken to dumping them on street corners, etc. It's one big mess!!! Most of the Canada Day celebrations in the city had to be cancelled. Some parks, eg. Etobicoke where the garbage collection are done by private companies have certain events still on but, have cancelled the fireworks display. I was just at the Rib Fest at Centennial Park...Yum!
So to answer your question, garbage collection within the city core is dependent on public service so...Well, ppl can still get into the shops if they can put up with the smell + the heat!
But don't let this deter you from joining the TO get together. Would love to meet some of you!

Helen

Jan 1, 2002
Of course I do, Deb

debs said:
We met last year at the Dominican Fiesta in Brampton. How are things going? How's Alejandro? Is your hubby in Canada yet?

Deb

Hi Deb,
Indeed I do! Alejandro is growing like a weed and quite the handful. I can't believe that it's been a year since we last met! Hubby should be here in a couple of months. I was last in the DR in May-June. Would love to meet up with you soon. Pat was just asking me about you a couple of weeks ago.
Email me, 'k?

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Would love to come.......

unfortunately I also require more "planning" time to get there.
Maybe next time!!!

NoMoreSnow

Apr 10, 2002
would love to be there...

with the garbage and all ... I missed PRIDE day celebrations ... so I do for an outing before Carabana ... email details

NMS

Meredith

Jan 24, 2002
Who else is in the Toronto area? There has to be more people! Don't be shy!!!
I will post the details in the next few days, but if you have any suggestions of where to go with salsa, maybe some merengue, maybe some bachata, some brugal or presidente and of course Dominicans let me here where!!

Helen, did you get me PM i sent you? E-mail me back!!!

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I'd love to go but would need more notice. I might be in TO for the long weekend in August. Are there places in TO such as you described?
Cheers,
Nelly

gonzaga

Mar 19, 2002
Merdeith,

Let me know where you will be meeting, I'll try and be there, even if it's a bit late. If I'm unable to make it this time, then for sure the next. I already have a full agenda, but will try.

Please don't select the Latin Fever, there's a younger crowd there. El Rancho has a good age group mix. But there's plenty other latino clubs in TO. Sunday night, at Las Brisas, I swear I though I was at a diso in the dominican. Unfortunately, the air cond. was not working, hot hot hot.

Try picking up the Picante Xpress book it list Toronto's latin Restaurants and Night Clubs. Their phone number is 416-245-4907.

Nelly,

Salsa, bachata and Merengue, there's a lot of great spots in Toronto.

Last edited:

debs

Jun 10, 2002
gonzaga said:
Sunday night, at Las Brisas, I swear I though I was at a diso in the dominican. Unfortunately, the air cond. was not working, hot hot hot.

Where in T.O. is Las Brisas? Is it only good on Sunday night?

Been looking for a long time for a club like those in DR :)

Hope you can join us on Friday.

gonzaga

Mar 19, 2002
Debs,

The address is: 24 Rivalda Road, (Sheppard Ave. & Weston Road), #416-740-6630. Saturday nights are a mix of latins. but for sure on any long weekend, Sunday night is the night you will see many Dominicans here. The owner is Dominican, Gabby.

I'll try and make it July 5th, but if not, then the next time for sure.

Meredith

Jan 24, 2002
Okay, here are some options....

* Plaza Flamingo: well-known, popular, downtown location, across from El Rancho
* El Rancho: downtown, across from Plaza Flamingo, I am not sure of the difference between the two.
*Moments Club: Yorkville Ave, mixture of salsa, merengue, bachata, brazilian, latin rock and more.
* The Courthouse: Court St.
* Santo Domingo Night Club and Restaurant: salsa, merengue, bachata, out of the way on Eddystone ave in North York
* Latin Fever: younger crowd

These seem to be a few of the hot spots..... I think we need a poll!!!! Where does everyone want to go?

Helen

Jan 1, 2002
Let's start with one and then go bar hop...

My suggestion would be to go with one, i.e. Flamingo located at College and Bathurst and from there we can decide if we want to stay there or bar hop. Was told that the club across from it gets Dominican regulars on Friday nights...not sure if they are talking of El Rancho or not! But, if we start at the Flamingo, we can always jaunt across the street and check out the other places.
Wha'dya'll say?!

gonzaga

Mar 19, 2002
Meredith,

El Rancho and Plaza Flamingo will probably be very convenient especially when you consider parking. There's a school close by on Bathrust that if you get there before 10:30 you can park free, on the streets, or pay $12.00 to park. The difference between the two would be El Rancho has two floors for dancing, and it gets packed, the second floor is usally a little less busy, great mix of people. Plaza Flamingo gets really busy as well, the crowd here is a little younger. Both places have great music.

Court House is right down town. I'll go where ever the majoriy decides, if I'm able to make it. I will keep you posted, hopefully, maybe I can make a change of plans.

Can't comment on Moments Club or Santo Domingo Night Club, I've never been there.