Customs Law on Household Good Shipment

Manuela

Jun 28, 2002
If somebody is moving to the DR what are the customs laws in regards to bringing your household goods? How much $$ for customs?

Does it differ if you hold residency status before you ship all your stuff to the DR?

Thanks.

Manuela

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
It depends on many things, please answer this so we know how to help you:

a) Are you a foreigner who holds legal residency here?
b) Are you a foreigner who will arrive without being granted residency?
c) Are you a Dominican returning home fpr the first time? if so,
d) How long have you being living abroad.
f) What kind of things will you ship?

Manuela

Jun 28, 2002
I'm sorry if that wasn't specific enough.

My husband and I are US citizens moving to DR this year.
We would like to bring our household items and a few
pieces of furniture when we move. However, if customs fees
are extremely high we might look for alternative solutions.
i.e. Buying things like appliances in DR.

I just read in the Legal section that you can be exempt from paying duty on your household shipment if you are a legal resident. Is that true also if you only have the provisional residency?

Thanks again.

Manuela

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Article 13 of Law #146-00 expressly exempted from any duty, among other items, the following:

i) the importation of the personal effects and household goods of foreigners immigrating into the Dominican Republic and of Dominicans coming back home to live permanently after residing abroad for more than two consecutive years.

Only provisional residency is required. As a matter of fact, you'll have 6 months from the time you obtain provisional residency to bring the goods into the country.

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
I have some pretty big woodworking tools like a table saw, band saw, jointer etc...

Would those be able to come in under that exemption or would i have a problem with that?

thanks
Stephen

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
My suggestion would be to come here with your clothes. Shipping households is one of the biggest sources of headaches for newcomers. Just check the archives, or trust me, I work in the business. But that might be impossible, so my second-choice advice is: come with the least possible, preferably with only the things you cannot replace. Get a freight forwarder and have them quote you customs clearance.

But, if you absolutely MUST ship all your things, boy, be ready for a headache. Even when the law does say what Mr. Guzman says, the Customs Service has a way for bending the law backwards.

marion harshman

Jan 2, 2002
Bring nothing. Last year my husband and I made the mistake of shipping household contents from New York to Puerto Plata.
Not only did they charge custom duty on all our personal items but on every pair of shoes we had. I guess in this country more than one pair of shoes per person and you are going into business. Our custon bill was for over $2000 US. Not withstanding American Airlines shipping cost of $648.00 US. Even American employees were discussed.

So don't dream

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
Pib said:
My suggestion would be to come here with your clothes. Shipping households is one of the biggest sources of headaches for newcomers. Just check the archives, or trust me, I work in the business. But that might be impossible, so my second-choice advice is: come with the least possible, preferably with only the things you cannot replace. Get a freight forwarder and have them quote you customs clearance.

But, if you absolutely MUST ship all your things, boy, be ready for a headache. Even when the law does say what Mr. Guzman says, the Customs Service has a way for bending the law backwards.

Great idea Pib! I shipped a container about a year ago, and to date, it was the worst experience of my life. If you really must ship, get some real help!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
After the death of a child,and going through a divorce,......

.....shipping "household Goods" to the Dominican Republic is listed as one of "Life's Most Traumatic Experiences"!!!!So ,"Go For It!!!"CRISCO