To Pib

Carolina066

Jun 1, 2002
Thanks for setting me straight. I think my info is old, since the last time I read up on this stuff was back in 1990. However, I did want to make the point that the poverty of the DR and any other 3rd world country with no "safety nets" cannot be compared to poverty in the USA, otherwise why would so many Dominicans aspire to go live in the Bronx?

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
To Carolina:

You were not wrong. This IS a poor country. And the country is not terribly better than in 1990. At least not from the poor's perspective. My beef was against a journalist whose work is apparently held to lower standards than that of elementary school children.

And thanks for having helped my fellow Dominicans.

Carolina066

Jun 1, 2002
DR poverty

PIB: I don't know if you are a native-born Dominican or not, but these are my people also. Though NOT a native-born Dominican, I AM a permanent resident, and this is the country of my heart and soul. Carolina

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
How splendiferous!

I thought you had moved out. Nice to know you feel like that. And yes I am Dominican, as Dominican as they come.

May the force be with you.

edited to add: Where do you live? Santo Domingo?

Last edited:

Carolina066

Jun 1, 2002
The DR-ambiente y dinero

Pib: As my Dominican friends all say: el dinero esta en los ee.uu,
pero ambiente esta aqui. At this exact moment I am in the USA, but my life is one of a "pajaro sin nido." I am here working at the moment but I have two good job offers in the DR and I will take one of them by the end of the year. Also I have several small businesses in Santo Domingo and am in the processing of starting a new one.