Single status affidavit for Marriage...

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Please forgive me for revisiting this topic. I need clarification.

True?...I can go to the courthouse here in South Florida and get a Single Status Affidavit...then I only need to present this to the official marrying us in the DR. That is my understanding from postings earlier. Is this correct?

Second...Once we are married...I want to know about being able to bring my wife and baby to the USA. What paperwork will I need to file and how long will it take. I mean for a visit and I also mean later to possibly live.

Third...if I marry my DR wife...okay girlfriend....does that entitle me to DR citizenship and does that allow me to bring my household items into the country without paying large custom fees? And if someone knows the answer...shipping a three bedroom apartment to the DR and a car from south florida would cost what? Probably won't do it but would like to know the cost?

Thanks, this is so difficult. At some point it comes down to selling everything I have and moving there permanently or shipping all I have there or bringing my wife and baby here and my wife does not want to live here...in USA...for that matter neither do I.

Thanks much.

arroyodmb

Mar 13, 2002
With reference to the letter that says you are legally free to marry you may need to get this legalised in the Dominican Embassy in your country. In Britain it is also required to have the letter approved in the foriegn office, this may be the same in your country. Also you may need your birth certificate copied and legalised.

If you were to do the legalisation in the D.R. you may have to get the documents translated and notarised by an official translator. The letter I had done in Britain was in english and was accepted by the "Oficina Civil".

As to importing your furniture etc., sell your stuff and buy here. Having had to deal with two different groups of "Aduanas" at two different "Entradas" to the country I do not recommend this. Confusing, stressful and frustrating.