an interesting article on Sammy Sosa

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
I did see that you had posted the same article that I just posted... opps.

Fun article though, huh?

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Sammy called the guy "motherf...". That's the appropriate word. The nerve! Now journalists are also judges?

I had read about it yesterday in the Dominican press. The Dominican press blasted the sport writer. Reading the account first hand didn't make me agree with the Dominican press any less.

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
I am sure the writer was doing his part to create some news..

no opinion on my part either way... I couldn't care less about professional athletes or the sports writers.

Just thought it was sorta funny.

spiderman

Jun 17, 2002
If you see sammmys neck and head you can defenetly tell hes on now or has been in the past on steroids

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Unfortunately, until Sammy takes a pee, I agree

with Spiderman...

When I met Sammy a couple of years ago, I realized that at 5'6"or may 8" he must be pumping a lot of weight to get that power...Hummm.

fell sorry for him...wish it weren't so...
But, remember, in baseball it is not illegal...yet..
HB
bandit.gif

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Can't blame Sammy,or PIB!

They are just responding like all good Dominicans when confronted by a question they don't want to answer,or a fact they would rather not discuss. It's called,"Sacando Las Unas"!It is just a "smoke screen" to divert attention from the moment at hand.You "attack" the person asking the question,or stating the fact.A good dominican will never accept any form of criticizm,be it constructive or otherwise.Scream,yell,or as the "SPORTS JOURNALIST" says,question their relation with their mother!Never,however,accept fact that you may not be right!CRISCO

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
a union is a union

Sammy might be on roids and he might not be.I think he probably is.However....even is he isnt , he cant just go off on his own ,get tested and show the rest of the world he is clean because that puts pressure on all his fellow athletes to do the same and undermines the unions barginning power---give up something(agree to mandatory testing) get something in return(possibly a better pension system).Baseball players do have a pension system and things such as this in case some of you didnt know and they recieve these things through barginning with the owners and everytime the players association goes to the table to bargain...everything gets put on the table.
Having said this,I wish they did test these guys because it takes away from the game and the games history(records being broken and such) to have all these monsters on the playing field but I dont think the union will ever cave into the testing because it would expose sooo many of the games stars.
ILoveDR

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
To Criss:

Q: Are you using steroids? Would you consider taking a test to disprove this rumors? and if not, why?

Q: Here, have this address, go have a test. In doing so you will disprove any rumors of your alleged use of steroids.

Two different questions that deserve two different answers. In my humble, and generally uninformed opinion, it is not the journalist?s job to do the second. I don't know how people from other countries would react, but if confronted with a question similar to the second I will probably react with a word in the same line as MF, only bigger. And Sean Penn would have broken his nose :)

I don't know if Sammy is on steroids, maybe he is, I am not disputing that. Heck, the thought has crossed my mind too many times. I just stated the fact that I (and others) thought it was an inappropriate "question".

And by virtue of being a "good Dominican" I will not tolerate that you criticize Dominicans again. And if you dare to disagree with me again I will go kick you. Are we clear?! ;)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
There is no such thing as an"Inappropriate"question..

..only "Inappropriate answers! ....and Sammy's answer was inappropriate!Made him sound like a dominican "shoeshine boy" from San Pedro de Macoris!,or someone from MontiCristi!!!!!!;) CRISCO

Ant

Feb 1, 2002
It was an appropiate line of questioning

I think it was an appropiate question (it could have probably been handled more tactfully). Sammy put himself out by stating he would be the first in line if they ever put into place steroid testing. It reminded me of Gary Hart telling the media to follow him because he had nothing to hide. Unfortunately, Sammy's response will only push other journalists to ask him the same question, potentially blowing the matter up further.

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
The Tripe is back to defend My People.

OK....dufus-heads....the party is over.....all you creepy crawlers who "get off" on bashing my country and my people....snake back into your holes....obviously, you cannot follow directions...

mondongo

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Sammy

I think Sammy probably is on steroids, but who cares. Most of the others are on roids too. It just equalizes the field. All you have to do is look at Bonds??? 73 HRs in a year, for a guy who's never even hit 50 in a year? It doesn't take a genius to see what's going on there. On the other hand, Sammy needs to learn to be a little bit more diplomatic. He could have handled the situation a lot better.

On a different topic...how many people think Pedro is gay? Has he ever been seen out with a girl?

Theresa

Vettehead from Buckhead
Jan 16, 2002
"I did not have sexual relations with that woman"

Doesn't this sound a bit like the Clinton controversy? Everybody in the states wanted the cheese on it but those in other countries could have cared less.

I think when anyone avoids the big question it makes them look guilty. Remember the more that Clinton waited the more everyone hounded him, look at the case with the other intern, Chandra Levy and her relationship with Gary Condit. The more he avoided the answer the more he was scrutinized until he finally came forward.

In this case who knows the real answer, from the looks of it I would say he is on steriods. And the way he dealt with that situation, I would have to agree with Criss, in my experience that sounds like the DR men I have met, turn the sitaution around on the other guy. Having a lot of knowledge of working out etc., you cannot gain that kind of muscle that quick and "liftwing weights every day" actually breaks down the muscle not pumps it up. Besides we all know the real heroe here.... it's my little Rafael Furcal ATL BRAVES .........Tomahawk chop BABY

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
I have a Dominican friend who has had the "pleasure" of dealing with Sammy on numerous occasions. Before Conf met Sammy, he was somewhat of an idol to Conf. He says Sammy has a tendency to "blow off the handle over little things." hmmmmmmm...

As for Pedro being gay, that seems to be the word amongst Dominicans. I've heard that he's very religious...maybe he's just waiting for the right one...?

Theresa, I agree, Furcal's fine, but Javy's hotter! Okay, so he's not Dominican...in my eyes, he wins the Hands-Down-Hottest-Player Award. There's something about those Braves...Chipper, Andruw, Rafael, Javy, Wes, Jesse...sigh...

Theresa

Vettehead from Buckhead
Jan 16, 2002
Actually, You've got a hottie nearby you Trina, just found out that Bartolo Colon is in Montreal now. I like the big boys too.... he's got big hands (you know)

AtlantaBob

Jan 2, 2002
Theresa,

Did you see Bartolo last night? I think he needs to get rid of that "three stooges" hair cut. But he sure can pitch. I was at the game Monday night. Now that was a good game.

Theresa

Vettehead from Buckhead
Jan 16, 2002
Oh Bob.. I know you are jealous but there is hope, now that you have your new motoconcho you should grow your hair like his and you'll make all the women crazy.:classic: