Pedro Martinez Refused to Pitch in All Star Game

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Pedro Martinez refused to pitch in the All Star Game this year after being selected by the fans.Its sad that Pedro...who came to the USA to make millions and millions of dollars playing baseball refused to give a little something back to the fans by declining his nomination to play.He stated that he would rather go back home to DR and "realx for a few days".Pedro...its the fans who ultimately pay your salary and its because of the american baseball fans that you have become rich beyond your wildest dreams.Thanks for nothing Pedro.I have no respect for you as a baseball fan, as an american or a a human being in general.
ILoveDR

Last edited:

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Pedro

You're too quick to condem Pedro. Although Pedro may have said in public he was coming to the DR to relax I would suspect it is some important private matter that needs his immediate attention that would take him away from the honor of appearing in the All Star Game. A true fan would give him that benefit of choice. After all it's only a game. Don't take it to heart. Regards, PJT

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
If Pedro had something personal to attend to (maybe his gay lover is sick or something) then he should have said that instead of saying he was going to go home and "relax".When you are making millions upon millions of dollars per year one of the drawbacks is you lose a little privacy and going around annonymously is not an option.So I want to know what the hell he had to do that was so important that he could not go to Milwalkee and pitch.I suspect that he had nothing to attend to.He wanted to go home and enjoy his millions for a few days while the American fans kept scrambling to buy tickets to watch him pitch.
ILoveDR

arenas809

May 22, 2002
Your attack is unfair...Pedro isn't the only one who stepped out, other american blanquitos decided not to play too...besides, he wants to concentrate on the rest of the season, an all-star game, which he will be selected to play in for the rest of his career, as not as of big importance...the game ended in a tie anyway, in my opinion waste of time, yell at Selig, yell at MLB, don't yell at Pedro...

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
only the Facts ma'am

ILoveDR said:
Pedro Martinez refused to pitch in the All Star Game this year after being selected by the fans.

1. Fans don't select pitchers to the All Star game, the manager does.

2. Pedro has either missed starts or gone on the DL each of the last 3 years right around July/August. The Red Sox limit his number of starts to keep him from breaking down. He didn't play in the game in order to do what's best for his team and his fans.

So there you have it ILoveDR. You are now properly educated....gratis..no need to thank me...so now finish your milkie,put away your toys,find your Barney jammies....cause its nighty nite time for the little boy.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
A few players did not participate in the All Star Game because they were injured. Only Martinez and Randy Johnson refused to participate. Johnson had only pitched 2 days before and claimed to have given up his spot because of that and that would alow another to be selected. I don't agree with that either.
Neither Johnson or Martinez were right in bypassing the All Star Game. It is just another case of overpaided, pompous, entertainers revelling in their own self-importance.
I have been a lover of the game of baseball(Game not sport) since i could remember but today I hardly pay attention to MLB. Luckily I live in a town were I can see baseball played the correct way. With the majority of players who play just for the love of the game. U of Miami & Florida International U!

Tony C.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Tony C said:
It is just another case of overpaided, pompous, entertainers revelling in their own self-importance.

Tony C.

at what income level is it acceptable to refrain from attending a "by invitation-only event"? if his salary was $10,000 US annually, would non-appearance be more tolerable to you? $50,000? $1,000,000?

he was invited to a "party"; he chose not to attend. it was his choice to make-not yours or mine. just as it is entirely my choice to buy tickets to watch the "party".

i say 2 thumbs up to someone who refuses to participate in just another money-grab by MLB authorities. pretty soon bidding to hold the event will be equivalent to that of the olympics.

mob

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I would certainly not compare participation in the All Star Game to an "invitation-only party". It has a lot more significance than that to the fans who make it possible for the "average" salary of major league ball players to be 2.8 million dollars (as per CNN report).

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Pedor Martinez is the best pitcher since Bob Gibson. He is also probably the greatest competitor since Pete Rose. If I had to pick one game to win, there is no one better. His problem is his frail frame and his propensity to break down during the season....hence, he takes as much time off as possible.....I live in Boston....I watch him very frequently...

As a Red Sox fan....I DONT WANT HIM IN THE ALL STAR GAME.....get it?...capiche?....so stop whining about it....if you don't like it then don't watch it

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
mondongo said:
Pedor Martinez is the best pitcher since Bob Gibson. He is also probably the greatest competitor since Pete Rose. If I had to pick one game to win, there is no one better. His problem is his frail frame and his propensity to break down during the season....hence, he takes as much time off as possible.....I live in Boston....I watch him very frequently...

As a Red Sox fan....I DONT WANT HIM IN THE ALL STAR GAME.....get it?...capiche?....so stop whining about it....if you don't like it then don't watch it
whining?I am a fan who pays money to watch these guys play.You are a typical loser red sox fan who is upset that his team hast won in 84 years.It dosent matter how much rest Pedro gets because your team is cursed..get it? Capice?Now watch what you say or I will come through the computer and slap you. Punk!
ILoveDR

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
your mamma wears combat boots!

Edited to Add: Please bear with me, ILoveDR, for I am merely trying to match wits with you.

Last edited:

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
mondongo said:

Lets see...... Jim Palmer, Roger Clemons, Nolan Ryan, Steve Carlton, Ferguson Jenkins, Don Sutton, Bert Blyleven, Greg Maddox, Randy Johnson, Curt Shilling...The list goes on and on. All of these pitchers are and were better than Pedro Martinez ever will be. A competitor plays through his little injuries!
Your a Red Sox fan who doesn't want marinez to play in the All Star Game. So what? The game is for the Nation to see what they consider the best players together.
I applaud your Love of everything Dominican but your blind defense of Dominicans just shows a lack of judgement. You don't see me blindly defending the Cuban players do you?

Tony C.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Tony C said:

The game is for the Nation to see what they consider the best players together.

Tony C.

if you say so....then it must be true.

well hold on a second, why are they holding those inter-league games then? could it be for even MORE money?

mob

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
mobrouser said:

why are they holding those inter-league games then? could it be for even MORE money?

mob

You have a problem with the owners making money? They put up the money to play the games so what is wrong with them making a profit? just remember that a large part of the money that the owners make goes to paying the players salaries.
BTW After they pay all the bills, the profits of the All Star Game goes to MLB. A large chunk of that money goes to pay players pensions and the MLB Charities! The rest goes to pay for administration and the Umpire's salaries. The Owners do not make a Dime from the All Star Game!

Tony C.

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
jock tax

During pre-game stuff I heard them talk about a jock tax in Wisconsin and the players had to pay the state a percentage of what they make daily as a professional. They were talking about how much A-Rod had to pay and the money those who stayed away had saved. Maybe someone heard or read more details about this.

I can remember since being a kid that every year a selected player or nominated player declines to play.

DRMarine

Jan 25, 2002
ILoveDR said:
Its sad that Pedro...who came to the USA to make millions and millions of dollars playing baseball refused to give a little something back to the fans by declining his nomination to play.Pedro...its the fans who ultimately pay your salary and its because of the american baseball fans that you have become rich beyond your wildest dreams.
ILoveDR

The only people that Pedro Martinez is indebted to are the owners of the Red Sox and the fans (of Boston!). THEY are the ones that pay his salary! they are the ones that fill up fenway park every night ( a stadium that has one of the highest if not the highest ticket prices in MLB) because they have a tremendous love for their team, their game and their players.

At the 1999 all star game Martinez went out there and gave all he had because the game was in Boston. He struck out 5 of the 6 batters he faced and took home the MVP award with one of the most dominating pitching performance in the 72 year history of the all star game. However, in the next REAL game he pitched he only lasted 5 innings before leaving with a sore shoulder. 2 weeks later Martinez was placed on the DL and didn't pitch again for the rest of the season. The man is just now fully recovering from that injury.

So what's more important? pitching at an exhibition game that means nothing or Getting some needed rest and help try to carry your team into the playoffs? I believe any true baseball fan knows the answer to that. It would be hard to find any REAL and knowledgeable baseball fan who would disagree. I would have loved to see him pitch in the all star game but I prefer to see him stay healthy. If he gets injured, it's going to be in a game that counts.

Semper Fi

Last edited:

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
DRMarine...

Wow...he's baaaack!
It took a baseball question to get him to come out and play again!!!
Welcome back, DRMarine!!!
;)

DRMarine

Jan 25, 2002
Re: DRMarine...

Musicqueen said:
Wow...he's baaaack!
It took a baseball question to get him to come out and play again!!!
Welcome back, DRMarine!!!
;)

glad to be back.......

........duty called and I had to go on a deployment

did you miss me, Reina?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
She has lots of people to lover her!

But you my friend are in deep, deep schitt...No correspondence from you in three months....How was Afganistan?

HB