Quicky

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Overheard in a West Virginia courtroom......

The judge read the charges, then asked,
"Are you the defendant in this case?"

"No sir, your honor, sir," replied my cousin Billy Bob,
"I've got a lawyer to do the defendin'.
I'm the person what done it."

HB
bandit.gif

Hb's quicky

Overheard in a West Virginia courtroom......

Judge reads the charges of rape then asks "How do you plead?"

"Insanity" replies the defendant.

"What do you mean, insanity?" asks the Judge

"I's just crazy bout dat stuff your honor" replies the defendant.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Ahhh, Wud?

Your dialect is off for the Hillbilly....It feels more like ebonics....

Did you catch the interview with that poor kid that got beaten up by the Inglewood cops? Neither he or his father were capable of
of speaking a language I could understand...Nasty case.....

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
OMG, HB - can you imagine either one of them on the stand in court? Connie Chung made them both look like asses on CNN. Painful.

(And, oh yeah - no ebons in West Virginia or what?)

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Jane J.........

West Virginie be redneck country an' dem boys goes coon hunting jest 'bout ever night. Cain't say as ya'd see many ebons o'er there!

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
[B]Hillbilly[/B] said:
Did you catch the interview with that poor kid that got beaten up by the Inglewood cops? Neither he or his father were capable of
of speaking a language I could understand...Nasty case.....
It had been mentioned before that the kid suffers from some speech impediment that makes him very slow (I noticed he stutters), but the father was much worse. And the lawyer... yuck!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Note to PIB

Thank you, I did not know that!.. glad it came out.

I just cannot imagine that that young man would have made a grab for the croutch of a policeman!! So they are now saying...what a crock..

And, yes, the camara guy is arrested on some outstanding warrents!...

Talk about a messy case and one so poorly handled...

Like the little girl in Denver and the one in SLC!!

I'll stay here in my house, thanks.

HB, semi-recluse!

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
HB

According to one of his aunts, the kid suffers from some "dissability" that not only affects his speech but also the way he acts. Apparently he is very slow to react. That could have been what triggered the "anger" of the policemen. Abuse notwithstanding, they might have thought that he was refusing to get out of the car when he really just reacted too slowly.

However, I would suggest they fire their lawyer pronto, the guy is icky, to say the least.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
However slow the kid may have reacted was no excuse to whale on him like that - did you see the look on that asshole's face in all the pictures? Dis.gus.ting. WTF?

Unfortunately, the LAWYER is some Johnny Cochrane wannabe, and so, so lacking. And what an unenviable position - how would *you* present those clients to the world? They need [insert name of really, really good lawyer here], not some second rate smarmer.

HB - I *so* know what you mean re: not leaving the house - scary world! But a girl's gotta bring her kid to soccer practice and all...

Last edited:

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Re: Jane J.........

MommC said:
.......coon hunting......

I know you are just joking MommC....but that has got to be one of the most inflamatory and offensive phrases to a black person. Its worse than the "N" word.

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
Mondongo,
I am sure MommC meant no offense. To those of us who live in the woods, "coon huntin'" means raccoon hunting. It has nothing to do with black people or people of any color.

Just a hillbilly hunter and his dogs chasing raccoons.

Mainer

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"MommC" and "JaneJ" your "Racism" is showing!

"No ebons in W virginia",and goin "coon huntin every night"!Your "White Asses" should know better! I knew that "MommC" was a "Racist" from many of her previous posts,but didn't know about Jane until now.Mondongo is right,Mainer is wrong,and I agree with Mondongo for the first time in history,and take back all the bad things I said about "Citizenship" in the past.My wife is Black,and this I take personally.At least I ain't married to no "WHOP"or is "Guinie" the prefered "slur" in Canada?!he he he.No "Offense" right?Just like you said!CRISCO

Apr 26, 2002
Moutaineers

How do you know that the "tooth brush" was invented in West Virginia???

Because if it was invented anywhere else, it would be called the "teeth brush."

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
Re: Re: Jane J.........

mondongo said:

I know you are just joking MommC....but that has got to be one of the most inflamatory and offensive phrases to a black person. Its worse than the "N" word.

mainer said it. I can't believe anyone could be so sensitive as to misread the intent here. So maybe it is simple unfamiliarity of the term "coon hunting". Since I was born and raised in central Illinois - corn and soybean country - we have no woods - I don't consider myself a hillbilly but have been coon hunting hundreds of times.

Nobody goes "raccoon hunting"; always "coon hunting". I have never seen an ad listing a "raccoon hound" for sale; hundreds of "coon hounds" are offered for sale in newspapers, magazines, etc. Please don't tell me that "Bluetick, Redbone, Black & Tan, and Walkers" have racist overtones, too! :)

BTW, I have been coon hunting several times with friends who are black. They use the same terminology as I do.

Swede

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
K.I.S.S. me I'm Dominican!

m65swede....with all due respect....and at the risk of appearing patronizing....let's converse a little...

1st...a question....say you went from central Illinois to Harlem....stood on a street corner and asked..."Who wants to go coon hunting?"....what do you think would happen to you?....what if you shouted the same question back home in central Illinois?

get my drift?

Lesson #1: the same word can have different meaning to different people...its meaning can vary with time and space (sounds kinda Trekkie).

Lesson #2: the same word can have different meaning to the SAME people but in different contexts.

Now a couple assertions:

1) Dr1 message board is not in the backwoods of West Virginia.
2) the context of the usage of the phrase "coon hunting" was the discussion of two black men who were being accused of speaking "ebonics".
3) there have been no references to small game hunting in this thread.
4) in back-to-back sentences, MommC used the phrase "coon hunting" and ebonics.

Conclusion: the context clearly shows malicious intent on MommC's part.

PS Janice...where are you, I need a lawyer.... and a good looking one at that.

PPS:CC,J.J. not "R"

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
Swede,
We also have a cat called the Maine Coon Cat. Supposedly it resembles a raccoon with long hair. We just call them coon cats.
Mainer

Edited to Add: I guess I never would have thought of that as a racial slur. We don't have a lot of black people in Maine, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of racism here. I have traveled a lot in the South, but have never heard that term. Glad to have it pointed out, Mondongo.

Last edited:

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
You're all Right!! You're all Wrong!!!

Gottcha!!
The discussion was "hillbilly" talk.......them what's say "coon hunting" to mean hunting for raccons!
And Jane mentioned "ebons" in West Virginia.....now those who are familiar with that state (yes I am!!) tell me how many "Ebons" do you see around???
So it is possible to use those two words in back to back sentences and NOT mean anything racial (altho' now that you mention it Mondongo it does remind me of a very racial Texan joke(so called however it was actually a true story that was funny to the Texan to whom it was related) that was told to me by the Texan that uses both the "N" word and "coon hunting" in the gist!
NO I WILL NOT repeat it on the board (even if I could remember it 'cause I don't find those kind of things funny so they tend to go in one ear and out the other!).
Now call out the National Guard and the Reserves - I want protection!!!! Janice ......where are you when I need you!!!

Editted to add: BTW-I'm a Canuck from a "Frog/Wasp" backgroud married to a "dago-Wop" and altho' I have heard the term "coon-hunting" in the Deep South USA I was not brought up to use derogatory terms like nigger or blackie or Wop,Wasp,Spic,etc etc etc. Using them was sure to get your backside walloped with the ironing cord. The Smiths were the Smiths - not them chinks down the street, the Allisons were the Allisons-not them niggers next door and if you didn't like the Cummings - who were the Black Irish rabble rowsers down the road or any of the above you just didn't come around when any of them were visiting our house!
So if you've a problem supping seated next to the sanki from next door or the Jew from across the street don't bother coming around at dinner time. Ya never know who you will find around my table at meal time. And Religion and Politics may be discussed as long as it is done civilly,without predjudice or spite or you may find yourself taken aside and asked to either cool it or call it a night!

Last edited:

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Hmmmm....Guess I really did "Getcha"!

Especially Mondongo who was the first to take exception.........
Did you note that HB "called" Wud on his "improper" dialect and was the first to use "ebonics". I replied in "hillbilly" and made a statement 'bout the lack of "Ebons" in WV in response to Jane J.'s comment. Mondongo took exception to the phrasing (which- had I been black- and used to that particular connotation I probably would have taken exception or not used it in the first place however it sprang to mind 'cause of a conversation overheard in a Waffle House in West Virginia) and then several others jumped on the bandwagon.
So.......are we too quick to judge or just have nothing left to say now that the error of our ways have been pointed out.
I could ask for an apology because once again my words have been taken out of context and twisted or I could apologize for using a "politically incorrect" phrase but then where would the excitement and controversy be.....so I'll do neither.......
Now let me hear some feedback from the protesters!!!!

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Did you bother to read and understand my previous post?

all i can do is .....sigh....groan....and give thanks to the miracle of evolution.....for humanity has been able to overcome such mediocrity..... MommC...I nominate you for president of the "Ignorance is Bliss" club.