Importing Cosmetics and Body Supplies

joescholar

Jul 15, 2002
Thanks for the info from my post on coffee, and it seems exporting out of the country would be easier importing into DR, I've read a lot of horror stories.

Would I face the same hurdles importing RAW cosmetic and Body supplies for packaging and resale in DR as well. Are there ports that are less complicated in getting supplies in.

How do the big companies get there cars and electronics and medicines in. The the participate in paying people who may be corrupted just to get there goods in to there franchises?

Thanks

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Exporting from the Dominican Republic is a lot easier than importing to the Dominican Republic, but importing cosmetics is particularly difficult compared to most imports.

First you have to get permits and licenses from Secretar?a de Salud P?blica. That takes some time and filing a lot of paperwork. Then find yourself a reputable broker with experience clearing cosmetics. Pilferage is a huge problem when importing cosmetics, a good broker will minimize this ocurrence.

Think of duties and taxes as follows:

Duties: 20% CIF value
ITBIS (VAT): 12%
Currency Exchange Tax (Recargo cambiario): 4.75%
Luxury Tax (Selectivo al consumo): 20% (only applied to products that contain alcohol, such as perfumes, after-shaves, etc.)

If you need any more information, email me.

membruce

Jul 14, 2002
I do some small time time importing to the US. The idea that it is more difficult to import to a country then to export from a country is common. What you may want to do is to find a good import agent. These are professionals that help you with the details. Make shore that the company is someone that you can trust!!!

I will send you an email. I would like to talk with you live eater over the Internet or phone. I may be able to source some stuff from the US or sink products from the DR. I can give you some tips on finding the right companies that I have learned from doing business in other countries.

Bruce

Free

Apr 28, 2002
Learning more about import/export

I'm interested in learning more about the importing and exporting business... I'm willing to speak with you offline..

Free

membruce

Jul 14, 2002
Drop me an email and a good time to call (DR time). I'm no expert, but I know where to go for answers and I can keep you from making some mistakes that I've made.

Also in your email tell me your citizenship. If it is USA then there are some resources that I know of. I will try to have some names for you before calling.

Bruce