Presidente

Status
Not open for further replies.

latinaviation

Jan 6, 2002
Does anyone know if Presidente Beer/Cerveceria Nacional Dominicana has a website and, if so, what it is?

Many thanks in advance,
Brian

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
I think Presidente is imported by Miller, but made by Cervecer?a Nacional Dominicana...

Lots of reviews available on Presidente though.
And some bad ones too! Things like "bland yet bothersome, not a very well put together brew." What the??? Bothersome???

Let's kick his @ss!

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I heard Presidente doesn't "travel" well. I heard it tastes different than it does in the DR. Not as good.

mk

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
In regard to the taste...

The only difference between export and local Presidente is the bottle is new and the label different for the export market.
The actual beer is "Exactly" the same. Presidente have done many surveys and studies on the so called "different taste phenomena" and it all points to the same thing, psychological.
They have gone to the point of shipping people and beer back and forth to the USA to taste test.

e.g. Take a case of beer off the shelf in New York, ship it back to the DR, get the person that said the beer was different in New York to taste it here. Outcome, that beer tastes better than the one you gave me in New York :)

When you here, it's hot, the beaches, the atmosphere, they all add to the psychological flavor.

And no, I haven't seen their website.

DRtechie

"everyday is a holiday"
Jan 27, 2002
phiota.net
had it in South Beach this past weekend and it tasted the same to me. Of course it was hot and I was by the beach so that might have added to the taste.

jojocho

Jul 10, 2002
As a former employee ...

I know for a fact that neither Cerveceria Nacional Dominicana (brewers of Presidente) nor E. Leon Jimenes (the parent company) have websites.

As for the taste issue Rob is right. A lot of people say the the alcoholic content is different, but that is not true. The brewing lines are the same, and the only difference is the bottle that's used, since the one for export is a lighter bottle that is not "re-usable". There also might be a diference in the temperature the beer is actually served ... I think it's very hard to buy a beer "vestida de novia" in the US.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Re: As a former employee ...

[B]jojocho[/B] said:
There also might be a diference in the temperature the beer is actually served ... I think it's very hard to buy a beer "vestida de novia" in the US.
And that, ladies and gentlemen, might be the answer to the US$64,000 question.

Erich

Aug 22, 2002
I'm Dominican and live in New York and as for the taste, it just ain't the same. There was one place that the beer taste was like in DR but it was nice and cold. Perhaps that is the secret to its taste, the temperature.

H

Hadrian

Is the Presidente served in the DR subject to the same preservatives and or pasteurization process required by the USDA?

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
If you read further up Rob and jojocho's post you'll see that it is the same beer, therefore subject to the same process. And if it is legally imported into the US I wouls presume (although I know for sure) that it is approved by the USDA.

H

Hadrian

Didn't realize you exported Presidente and approved the process

Pib said:
If you read further up Rob and jojocho's post you'll see that it is the same beer, therefore subject to the same process. And if it is legally imported into the US I wouls presume (although I know for sure) that it is approved by the USDA.

I am sorry Pib, I didn't realize that Rob and jojoocho were 'experts" and or employees of Presidente (MBC) or that you had the express knowledge that the USDA or FDA has any jurisdiction over products sold in the Dominican republic.

Given your "certainty" that FDA approves the Presidente imported (I certainly believe they do, but am curious as to your source) into the US, do you have the same certainty that the pasteurization and or preservative and temperature continuity process is maintained exactly the same in the DR as the US?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
FYI: Believe me, the PIB has access to "inside" information. And know this: Miller does not brew Presidente.

There are few restrictiions other than liquor licenses to import a product into the USA.

Also know that the Presidente people are preparing a brewery in Puerto Rico, according to local gossip. this will have a major impact on their sales in the USA...

Ah beer!
beer8.bmp

H

Hadrian

There are a vast array of restrictions on importing any food or drink into the US. Who or what PIB is has little bearing on the fact that MBC and PM would be quite disturbed to learn they have lost one of their smaller subsidiaries

Though the brewery in the DR may not be called "Miller" it is owned and operated by PM, if you would like I will link you to PM's annual report

http://www.millerbrewing.com/brandsBreweries/brands.asp

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
By the way Hadrian, jojocho also said that he worked for CND, of course he might have been the nightguard for all I know... What do you want, a sworn statement from a CND executive?

Furthermore, it is not entirely true that Miller owns CND, it is more like a joint venture between E.L.J and Miller.

that you had the express knowledge that the USDA or FDA has any jurisdiction over products sold in the Dominican republic.
Let me repeat what I said in case you missed it the first time. "And if it is legally imported into the US I would presume (although I know for sure) that it is approved by the USDA. " No suggestion of "express knowledge" anywhere. The "I know for sure" refers to "legally imported".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.