Apartment rentals

Pete

Jul 16, 2002
I rent an apartment in a 4 storey building with 8 apartments. The monthly rental charge includes a maintenance charge which goes to the building administrator for expenses such as water, public area lighting etc. The water to the building has been cut off because my apartment owner has not paid the maintenace payment for two months despite the fact that my inclusive rental payments have been made on time - so every apartment is suffering. What quick and immediate action can I take?????

Pete

Jul 16, 2002
Thanks for your suggestions Jazzcom. To move to another apartment is the simple solution, I agree. However I have a deposit of three months rental at risk.

I would like to know if the non payment of the maintenance monies is breaking the contract and grounds for recovery of the deposits.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Get a letter from the condo administrator stating that your landlord is in arrears and that because of it you have no water. Proceed to pay the administrator directly the condo fee owed by the landlord and deduct the payment from the rent payable to him.

I'm assuming it's the landlord's obligation to pay the maintenance fee. Standard leases now usually place this obligation on the tenant.