Buying New Cars

S

Stephen

Previously, I brought my vehicles from the United States and only have puchased a USED vehicle in Santiago.. Now, I would like to buy a new vehicle here in the DR. I live in Puerto Plata.

How does buying a new car here differ than in the states.

Is there room to negocitate the price as in the US or is the price sort of set? I've been to dealors in Santiago and in Puerto Plata and they say it doesn't matter what city you buy in, the prices are the same, (in other words, I won't find a better deal in Santo Domingo).

They all seem to show you a book with a price that they say is the minimum price that they will sell for and also the big ones seem to have a dealorship in both Santiago and Santo Domingo.

Any help, advice or whatever regarding buying a NEW vehicle (rather than used) would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Not a real veteran at this but

You must play hard ball with them/ I would go to Santo Domingo, see the different dealers in the vehicle that you want. Get prices.
I would see Antonio Ochoa in Santiago, since he says that he will never be undersold. He is the one there by the roundabout coming into Santiago from the West. That is his only sales point.

I would also play one dealer off against another. Do not be too specific as to what you want, since they can phone other dealers that a "hot one is looking for prices" Don't give out your name or where you are from. Be almost mean. Get a Dominican friend or two to help you...

Lastly, look in the papers and see if there isn't a good deal available...

It's your money, so be tight with it...

HB
bandit.gif