birth certificate

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
what process does my mother in law have to go through to get a birth certificate issued. She was born 65 years ago in Jarabacoa and she doesn't seem to be in the folio for that period of time. She does have her baptism certificate. I GUESS the question is really; how much and how long.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Does she have a copy of an old birth certificate? Or at least an indication of date and place of registration? When the original registry books are in bad shape or destroyed you must through a process called "reconstrucci?n de acta".

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
no old copy

No she doesn't have a old copy, she only knows where and when. All her older and younger sisters and her brother are all registered but on her date there is a similar name but not her name. The woman who works there is a friend of my wifes and she has gone through the books several times with no sucess.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Maybe you have discussed this already, there are cases in which the birth certificate has not been registered on or around the date of birth, but months or years afterwards. It is my understanding the birth certificates are filed by the date of registration, not by date of birth. Also, another factor is where was the birth registered.

I only bring this subject up because last year my wife and I were chasing down a birth cerficate for her sister. Her sister was born near La Romana and my wife and I spent days going back and forth from one govt office to another there looking for a birth certificate and even to a local church to inquire about baptismal records.

Well, we found the baptismal record in Higuey dated two years after her birth and we used the information, her father declaring the birth two years later, to go back to La Romana to search the registry books, having to find out we had to go to the Capital to Oficial?a de Estado Civil because the books were there being reconstructed. End result. we got the birth cerificate after some more hassles.

So, if you have not already done so, you may want to ask your mother-in-law and or her family members when and where did her father declare her.

Regards, PJT

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
junta electoral

When my wife went to the ministry in SD with all the proper paperwork( for getting her mother's birth certificate) she was told that they would love to help her but couldn't do anything until the electoral board judge decreed that they could work. Could anyone fill me in on what is going on with this ministry.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
When this did happen? Around election time in May? The Central Electoral Board is at the same time the supervisor of all civil registries. Around election time, they stop working on registry matters to concentrate on the elections.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
visited the junta central office

She went twice; on the 8th July 02 and then again on the 23July 02. Both times they were not working. There were about 100 people sitting around doing nothing. They told they couldn't help her until the judges told them they were allowed to work. It seems that her mother was never declared, although she has a batismal record and a cedula. Yris has all the papers required but can't deliver them until this office starts working.