Pan Am the Facts!!!!!!

mark porter

Jun 14, 2002
Pan American Airways is a very solid carrier with deep pockets. The Guilford Transportation Company owns Pan Am, Boston Maine Airways, Pan American World Airways/Dominican Division and the Boston Maine Railroad, and the Main Central. Guilford also leases out Railroad track to Amtrack in the northeast corridor and ownes thousands of miles of freight track as well as passenger track. Timothy Mellon is one of Americas wealthiest American citizens. Pan Am currently operates Charter as well as commercial operations, Pan Am also does maintenence for commercial as well as military aircraft, Pan Am also has fuel farms and fuels aircraft of many of it's competors. Pan Am Cargo also delivers packeges for UPS to Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket and Cape Cod. Pan Am is currently building a training facility at it's Orlando/Sanford facility for pilots who need to maintain their hrs. Boston Maine Airways is about to complete a deal that will expand their fleet by another 19 aircraft bringing their total fleet to 29 JETSTREAM 31's. Pan Am has agreements with the US Goverment, FAA, and the State of Maryland, The airline is very well backed financially and is well diversified. Mark

Apr 26, 2002
And I Should Fly Pan Am Because ... ???

Mark,

And the reason why I or anyone else travelling to the Dominican Republic should fly Pan Am is ... ??? Pan Am only flies two days a week to a destination, aren't noticably cheaper than the advance purchase fares on other airlines, and are much more likely to suffer delays and cancellations due to age (ancient) of aircraft and fleet limitations.

But it sure is reassuring to know that the airline is owned by a really really rich kid that likes to play with trains and planes. I wonder if Mellon has actually increased his net worth since his giant inheretance???

Interesting that you chose to start a new thread rather than answer my question from the previous thread. The question was how anyone knows anything about the solvency or "deep pockets" of Guilford, Pan Am or Mellon when none of them ever publish any information about themselves? How do you know, for example, that Pan Am doesn't lose millions of dollars a year??? How do you know that there isn't a limit to how much money Mellon might be willing to lose on this hobby???

Last edited:

Janice Again

Jul 18, 2002
Regional Pan AM

Someone posted that PAN AM is buying a group of JS 31's? This is a regional turbo prop, 6-700 mile 15-17 seat aircraft. What does this have to do with overseas operation?

Janice

Janice Again

Jul 18, 2002
Commuter

Could it be that PAN AM wished to follow ILLIAT in providing Inter Island transportation?

Janice

Apr 26, 2002
Boston & Maine

Janice,

The Jetstreams would be for use by Boston & Maine Airways, a subsidiary of Pan Am that provides commuter service in the Northeast USA.