Jack Veneno

Payton23340

Jul 22, 2002
Hello, I am looking for some information about a former athlete named Jack Veneno and wanted to know if anyone knew how I could go about this. He lived in Santo Domingo, as far as I knew, and was involved in professional wrestling between the 1960s and '80s. He was very popular throughout the Caribbean.

I wanted to know if there was any way I could find out when he was born, his height/ weight, what his major achievements were...was he involved in the promotions of wrestling in the Dominican, if he was involved in training other wrestlers and basically anything else. Does anyone know if newspapers covered a September 1982 incident where a gunshot in a Santo Domingo match ended with Veneno winning the World Championship? I would like more information about that incident, if possible. Is there a library I can contact...or possbily contact Mr. Veneno himself. Maybe a sports editor who speaks English, because my Spanish is not too good.

Thanks in advance.

Tim

Payton340@aol.com

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
In 82 Rick Flair wrestled Veneno in Sto. Dom. Fights broke out and in order to prevent rioting by the fans, Flair allowed himself to be pinned. He was given back his title later, after the crowd left. There is a Veneno wrestling in the LA lucha libre circuit. Don't know if that is the same. Believe there may have been a couple of Jack Venenos in the DR. There was a poem titled something like "La Muerte de Jack Veneno" and it describes the death. this was written in 1971 or 72. You can probably find it by doing a search. Maybe a father and son???

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I asked Google for Jack Veneno+Dominican Republic and got a lot of hits, including information about the 1982 fight with flair. Take a look; all your questions may be answered on the internet.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Write the Listin Diario

The sports Editor of the Listin Diario would have contact information.

Jack Veneno and his crew are still active!!

It used to be that on Saturdays at like 4 o'clock everyone would go to the house with the TV set and watch Jack Veneno. Haven't seen or heard much lately...

Good luck

HB,
Cartangry.gif

P.S. I just remembered that he always fought Rel?mpago Hern?ndez-the villan!!....of course he always won...And he is still on Saturday afternoons...

Last edited:

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Jack Veneno (Rafael S?nchez) is still active, but I don't know what channel their show is. He runs on Ave. de La Salud, where I see him, he's very much out of shape, he must look ridiculous wrestling in a tight leotard :rolleyes:

RedrumXIII

Jun 20, 2002
wow.. haven't heard that name in a loooong time.

I remember watching his fights as a kid. Every time he won a match he would get a Salchichon. Any one else remembers this grand prize??

Edwin

Payton23340

Jul 22, 2002
Thanks everyone for the responses. These kind of responses are great, especially from those who have actually seen him on television or in person. Magazines in the U.S. touched on his career very lightly and really did not go much into what kind of impact he was making in the DR.

Pib - Was his real name Rafael Sanchez?

Redrum - what is a Salchichon?

I am going to continue searching and see about contacting the sports editor of the Listin Diario?

jlopez

Jul 22, 2002
www.nueworld.com
jack veneno

Hey people !!!

In August 1983 Ric Flair lost the NWA heavy weight tittle
to Jack Veneno but he had to give it up because he would
not agree to defend it outside the Dominican Republic.

You can find these and other info related to Jack Veneno
By going to www.ask.com and typing Jack Veneno

click on line #4 interview with ''el bronco #1
#6 the history of the NWA parragraph 22
#10 wrestling info archive-NWA world heavy
weight history.

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I remember him on television in the Seventies promoting Forty Malt. The malt based liquid. I asked my parents to buy a bottle so that I could be as stong as him. When I tasted it I almost puked! I also remember getting into a "lucha libre" fight with a load of limpia botas kids and getting beaten up.

RedrumXIII

Jun 20, 2002
Payton23340 said:
Redrum - what is a Salchichon?

Salchichon, I guess, is Dominican Republic's word for Sausage. If I recall correctly, Induveca sponsored the wrestling program, so each winner of a particular match would get an Induveca salchichon. Does anyone remember this or did i dream this up?

Edwin