old cars

HDCarl

Aug 3, 2002
I am planning to retire to the DR, (several years yet), and was wondering about the law as far as importing a private vehicle. Specificaly I am rebuilding/customizing a 73 Jeep that I would really like to use here then take with me to the DR. If it will be impossible to take it with me I will greatly reduce the amount of money I plan on putting into the vehicle.

Thanks,

HDCarl

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
It is possible, but unless you have strong political connections it usually costs more than it is worth to bring a vehicle with you. You are wise to investigate this thoroughly before spending a lot on the jeep.

Mickey

Mar 3, 2002
just out of curiosity, are there any special exemptions to this law? For example in the case of restorations, collectables, antiques etc.? any chance of bringing down my '27 Model T? (lol, yeah right)

HDCarl

Aug 3, 2002
OK, just when I thought it was clear, now I am confused again. If it is possible to bring in an "antique" car it would be nice to know what the requirements are around age and condition. I hate to put Mr. Guzman through a lot of searching. Is there a place I could look this up for myself?

Thanks again,

HDCarl

Jim Hinsch

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
geocities.com
This is pure conjecture, but does anybody know what's to prevent a car from being imported into Haiti and then driven into the DR (supposedly to be driven back) to stay. I understand a lot of vehicles get into the DR via Haiti.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Just a thought

Just a thought. How old is the engine? If you are rebuilding in kit form and bought a new or rebuilt engine block you may be exempted from the law depending when the block was purchased. There may be a loophole in the law that may allow importation. However, law or no law, as Ken points out, you need to investigate thouroughly before importing. In practice, the only law is whether the Customs inspector at the port of entry is having a good day or not, law or no law. Best option is to sell and invest the procedes in island sales. Regards, PJT

Jwb

Jan 10, 2002
Cars from Haiti

Similar to you Jim, I am also curious. I Know a business man in Port Au Prince who is selling two Commercial trucks and a school bus to raise cash. I thought about buying them and have them driven over to S.D for business, But I am afraid of getting stuck with them on the D.R border.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
It is not worth the hassle!!!

Importing vehicles is a customs nightmare. You are subject to paying bribery and having a mental breakdown by the time you get your vehicle out on the streets.

A 1973 Jeep is not in my opinion considered an antique by any means and it is not recognized as a collectors' vehicle. I am afraid that to prove antiquity you must submit a historical resume for your vehicle certified by some antique vehicle group and antique registration and plates from the U.S. The jeep is not a 1967 Mustang, Mach II or Chevy '57 recognizable vintage.

It might be easier for you to find one here that old in still running condition. Take my word for it....Dominican customs is the equivalent of going thru a meat grinder sauteed in lime juice.

TW

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
FYI

The largest Collector/Classic/Antique car organization in the US is the Antitique Automobile Club of America(AACA)! According to them a vehicle has to be over 25 years of age to classify as a collectable. Popularity of the vehicle has nothing to do with its status.
According to the state of Florida a vehicle must be only 20 years old to qualify for "Collectable" status.
Either way a 73 Jeep qualifies as a Collectable! It may not be as popular among the masses as a 67 'Stang or a 57 Chevy but it has all of the criteria needed to be considered a collectable. Age, uniqueness and a following.(Jeep people are some of the most devoted in the automotive world)

Tony C.

Alain

Feb 12, 2002
Antique vehicles

Canadian laws (prov. of Quebec at least) also mention that a vehicle is "antique or collectable" when it reaches 25 years of age. Model, value or even state of preservation are irrelevent. Only age matters.

But what is the definition of "antique vehicle" according to Dominican law?

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
DR is still too new to antique vehicles

There could be a law. But I can tell you that besides the nightmare of customs, you will have to suffer thru the parts problem. Unless you plan to store your jeep, you will be needing parts every month with our roads.

It matters not that your jeep may qualify as an antique due to age, but in DR an old jeep is a piece of junk. Since we are still in the early stages of "antique" cult, only the most recognizable vehicles are appreciated. For instance a yellow or orange Cuda in DR could be quite a sight. I have never seen one. I have never seen a 70s Roadrunner GTX or a Cobra.

TW

Alain

Feb 12, 2002
Antique cars

Actually I don't think the "antique cult" as you say, will catch up with Dominicans any soon. It's mostly a foreigners' thing, For Dominicans, the newer the better. I don't blame them; many of the old cars owned by Dominicans are wrecks used for public transportation.

I've seen a bright yellow '70 Camaro, a couple of '50's and '40's Chevy pick-up trucks, a 1970 Lincoln Continental, a 1951-2 Pontiac, all owned by foreigners.

In the "Dominican world" I saw a 1957 Cadillac for sale, a beautiful 1968 Chevy Impala (great shape), and a 1957 Chrysler Imperial (a real show stopper).

I like those early '70's Impalas when they're in reasonably good shape (so comfortable..like a Cadillac), and Dominicans are always surprised at us foreigners admiring those cars of bygone days!! Like "What the hell do you find so interesting about those old things?"

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Back in the 80's I knew a guy who had a 1970 Dodge Challenger, Plum Crazy with a 440! He use to bring it out for the old "Ni**er Nationals(Thats what they use to call it!) every Saturday night on Ave. Las Proceres! As an old Mopar man I really enjoyed it

Jeff

Aug 28, 2002
If your status is a tourist in DR, the 1949 Traffic Convention will apply. How long it will apply is a question of DR laws. As only a nonimmigrant tourist, the signers of the Traffic Convention will allow tourists to "import" their car for the duration of their visa. This is how Americans take a car to Europe and use their State License Plates there for a while.

In the USA, you may import a foreign-made vehicle without regards to smog emissions, if it was made prior to 1973(?). You'll need a US customs broker whom specializes in the importing of these automobiles. (Import a Chinese "vintage motorcycle" of the 1940 design year, but that was still exactly so made in 2001, for example, and you're in some big trouble. )

Such custom broker services is an issue for even US-made cars "exported" by tourists to Mexico and Central America because of unleaded fuel issues. If you go beyond to the known countries without unleaded fuel, you'll be required to make your US-made car conform to EPA regulations again. So coming back is also a reimport issue of a 1973 Jeep, because I think you're right in the very year the EPA standards became effective.

So how about just buying a brand new or pre-owned (used) SsangYang CJ-body "Jeep" from South Korea? Ocean shipping is relatively nominal as is any tax-free export purchase in Korea, and it can be shipped directly to the DR from Korea.

http://www.film.queensu.ca/CJ3B/World/Korea.html

http://www.koreamotors.com/profile.html

Daewoo just went bankrupt and parts are not easy to get. But the resourceful type can bypass this, if they can repair it with used parts, and you'll still save a bundle on these discounted vehicle prices as a firesale item.

Last edited: