Arrived Back Today

Dominican_Amy

Aug 3, 2002
I have arrive back in England today from a 2 week trip in DR.
It was the best holiday ever... i stayed at Dorardo Club, Playa Dorardo. The hotel was fab and the staff even better...i recomend this hotel to all......
just wanted to say hi... and hope eveyones trip was as nice as mine. Although i feel sorry fro some of the dominican people.

Amy
xxxx

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
re Robert
What is there to report from 2 weeks in an all inclusive camp ?

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
I guess she felt sorry for the dominican people working at the resort.Her post sounds more like an advertisement for the Dorado Club than a trip trport.
ILoveDR

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Amy, don't be discouraged by a couple of negative responses to your posting, one from a person who is obviously biased against AIs and the other who self describes himself as an "idiot".

Robert, the webmaster on this board, encouraged you to write a trip report. I hope you will do so. What you should indicate are the things that you saw and did that caused your holiday to be the "best ever".

AI resorts aren't for everyone, but the majority of people who holiday in the DR stay in them. And this is likely to be even more so in the future. The government tourism office has indicated that the resorts it intends to support with its tourism campaign are the large, all inclusives.

But judging from you brief report, it was more than the hotel that made it a memorable visit for you. It would be good if you would indicate what those things are so that others might also enjoy them no matter which hotel that they stay at.

Dominican_Amy

Aug 3, 2002
Thanx

Yes my holiday was an AI and this helps alot if your short on the money side...well me being a student i was!
My cousin and i booked our holiday for 2 weeks in dorado club the people we great and the food too...what made it differnt was that each night they had a diffrent country themed food. Theres shops in the hotel area but well over priced, just over the roads a shopping plaza where you can get the same stuff for half the price.

Whilst on holiday i went horse riding, not sure of the name of the ranch, but it was located in Puerto Plata. We started the trip at 8:00am, the trip cost $80.00 food and drink Inc, the guides we very friendly and talked alot about the islands history and the culture. We travelled to the water falls where we swam, very cold too!
After a refreshing swim back on the horse where we travelled further in to the hills. We entered a tiny village about 2pm where we had a traditional Dominican lunch with the locals. back on hourse back and onward home. we arrived back at about 5:30. the most enjoyable thing about the horse riding you had total control of the horses and were free to walk, trot or gallop.

The next fee day were spent lounging around the pool and playing games..also taking spanish lessons.
We then grabbed a taxi to Puerto Plata beach for a spot of sun, sea, sand and shopping. The beach was very clean although a lot of the men and woman tryed to sell you everything under the sun, a simple polite no and thank you worked great. The shops there sold alot of the same stuff but there were a few unique items.

After another few recovery days by the pool, my cousin and i had been suggested by a english couple to try the Monster Truck safari. We were picked up at 8:00 (the trip costing $65 also food and drink Inc) by bus and taken to the plot of land where 7 8-wheeled Trucks were waiting. The truck took us though the country side, thought rivers and villege, we had 5 stops:
1: a small orchard where a family grew various fruits to sell
2: a tipical Dominican house, this was tiny had 3 room where 7 people lived.
3: This was a Dominican Public school as it was school holiday no classes were in session.
4: this was another waterfall site, we had lunch and and got to rest for an hour befor we carried on.
The last stop was the monster truck offical gift shop, 50% of what money is taken goes to the local school to buy equipment.
So on the journey home we given lots of alcoholic drinks and soft drink for the children (drink were provided throughout the whole day)
We were dropped off back at the hotels about 4:30.

BAck at the pool side and we were give a free indroduction lesson to scuba diving, the trip for scuba diving was $60 but i ran out of time and money to enjoy the whole day.

I hope thats a good enough trip report...as its my first did not know what to put really...but i tryed.
I love the DR and am already planning to go back next year!!

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
Good Job! I hope next year's trip goes as well.

We're glad you enjoyed "our" island. :)

Swede

Emma148

Jul 18, 2002
I enjoyed just as much !!!

I would just like to add, i came back from Playa D mid July this year, i also stayed at the Dorada Club and would recommend it highly.
I have booked to go back there in December and have begun to plan a longer stretch out in the DR later next year to be in POP instead, AI are great for holidays but i did enjoy leaving the resort there is so much more to see and do away ffrom the hotels.

Myself from the UK, i would like to agree with Amy, the staff at the Dorada Club - in particular the entertainment staff truly made my holiday, im sure were talking about the same people. Truly lovely hotel, in a great resort but the country itself the highlight - can't wait to get back there!!!! Emma/uk

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Enjoyed your report, Amy. It should be very helpful to others making plans for their trip to Puerto Plata. I was particularly interested in your commentary on the Monster Truck safari. The couple who own that business are my neighbors. My wife and I have done the safari and we enjoyed it, too. It was gratifying to see the good relationship they have established with the people who live in the area they go to, and their attempts to give the people a feeling that the tours to their area benefit the locals, too. More tour companies should follow this example.