Judge to question hen, will charge the crime of Witchcraft to owner

Jim Hinsch

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
geocities.com
The DR1 News reports that a man is being charged with witchcraft among other charges, and that the judge would question his supernatural hen.

I assume the hen part is a joke. Is witchcraft illegal in the Dominican Republic?

If so, how does the law read and what is the potential penalty for practicing witchcraft?

From the DR1 News, "<b>Supernatural hen to go to court:</b>"

Hoy newspaper tells the story of a Supernatural black hen that is kept at the Palacio de Justicia de Ciudad Nueva, the leading courthouse of Santo Domingo. The hen belongs to Lorenzo Rodriguez, who is accused of sexually violating three minors and of <b>witchcraft.</b>

The hen is being kept as evidence. Reportedly, the chicken would reveal to Rodriguez what the girls he kept captive in his Villa Consuelo shack would talk about when he was out. Two of the girls, aged 14-15 years old said that the hen would be quiet during the day (apparently listening), and then talk to her keeper at night.

When taken to the district attorney's office at the Ciudad Nueva courthouse, the hen supposedly told one employee the numbers that would come out in the lottery, and he won RD$15,000. To another, he gave a blessing so that he would be issued a 10-year visa to travel to the United States. The next day he was granted a visa.

When these two happenings were interpreted as a confirmation of its supernatural powers, the good luck hen then became an overnight sensation.

The case will be heard today at the Cuarta Sala Penal del Distrito
Nacional, and Hoy newspaper says that <b>the judge would be questioning the hen.</b?

Last edited:

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
I have only found one provision in the Dominican Penal Code that might be applicable to the case in question. It's Article 479, Section 12, which punishes with a fine of $4 to $5 pesos (yes, it's not a typo; the Penal Code is very old and fines were not indexed to inflation):

"A los que con objeto de lucro interpreten sue?os, hicieren pron?sticos o adivinaciones; o que de otro modo semejante abusaren de la credulidad."

(Those who for personal profit interpret dreams, make a practice of soothsaying, or in similar fashion abuse the credulity of other persons).

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
No fine, of course, if the hen gives the judge the winning numbers in the lottery.

kingofdice

Jan 16, 2002
Good grief. Are we back on that hen story? What a crock. Well, okay...wonder if that hen could tell me where the best hen house in Santo Domingo is.. hee hee. Hey, I'll pay the man's fine. What is that 28 cents?

Last edited: