Reserva Scientifica Ebano Verde.

arroyodmb

Mar 13, 2002
Another Trip Report from he who says he has practically visited no where in 6 years living here.

Those who have visited Constanza have probably seen the "nest" of antenae and repeaters to the left of the road. This unfortunately is the entrance also to the Reserva Scientifica Ebano Verde.

If you arrive there unannounced you will not get in as the gate is kept locked. Therefore it is best to call ahead "Call Fundaci?n Progresio, 565-1422 in Santo Domingo".

(http://www.geocities.com/sandrabrauning/TRIP-LIST-Eban-Verde-00.htm)

In a 4x4 vehicle visiting this area it is easy to arrive at the "towers", we arrived safely in a car near to the antenaes, and then walk down to the Ranger hut and Watch Tower where the path down into the Reserva starts.

My hosts and I, yes the same Researchers minus oneas the trip to Baorouco, did not have time to walk the full length of the trail. The trail can take from 2-3 hours according to the Ranger, Juan. We were there to see Dominican and Caribbean Endemic birds and to enjoy the scenery, fauna and flora and only walked a section of the trail.

Coming from an area with a lot of Acacia and Mesquite covering the hills, which should have native broadleaf trees, the growth around the Reserva was beautiful. Lots of ferns and fern trees as well as broad leafs.

Even if you are not a bird watcher this area is great to visit as it is a cloud forest in good condition. It was still wet and dripping although there had not been a significant downpour for a long time.

Logically if you do visit there take walking boots, solid shoes or wellingtons as the ground, even in the summer, can be wet. In the early morning take a light jacket or jersey as it gets colder in the dawn. Then later on you will need mosquito spray as the little biters come out on the trail.

There are places to sit for a well earned rest and we saw a picnic table. Apparently if you phone ahead they can offer a meal at the other end of the trail. There you would have to find a means to return to your vehicle as explained in this web page

http://www.fatbirder.com/links_geo/america_central/dominican_republic.html

"Along this trail you will find Trogons, Pewees, Palm Tanagers, Solitaires, Golden Swallows, Red Tailed Hawks, Striped Headed Tanagers, Hispaniola Emeralds, and if lucky, Eastern Chat Tanager. You need to find a ride back to your car from one of the park guards, unless you are willing to hike 6 kilometers back up".

This dr1 news excerpt shows the importance of this area http://www.dr1.com/news/1999/dnews072899.shtml.

I would like to return there and take the hike to the end at my liesure and try to see the elusive Hispaniolan Trogon and the Antillean Piculet (the other endemic woodpecker) and other birds.

Hotel room in Hotel Jacaranda RD$450 with two Queen size beds. For food it was suggested that El Tipico Bonao would be better than the "la Parada" type food we ate. If anyone has eaten in the El Tipico Bonao, I would appreciate a report on quality and price?

jojocho

Jul 10, 2002
El Tipico

The best food between Santo Domingo and Santiago. They serve excellent dominican food and is pretty much a culinary icon. I highly recommend it, and it's not expensive. If you stop there for breakfast you MUST order mangu and fried cheese (queso frito).