New Hotel by the Malecon

Status
Not open for further replies.

domgirl1

Apr 5, 2002
I was wondering if anyone would know the name or the chain that is building that new hotel by the Malecon.

It's not too far away from the Jaragua. I was just in DR a month ago and drove by it but don't remember the name.

If anyone can tell me it would be of great help.

Thank you.

kingofdice

Jan 16, 2002
I'm not sure it's going to be a hotel. I remember a taxi driver making a remark as we drove past the Jaragua. I thought he mentioned something about the building be sold as condos. Maybe Robert knows what is being built.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Is that site on Geo Wash w/ Maximo Gomez?

Because if it is, that site has been in perpetual construction (i.e., never seems to finish) since I lived in SD since the late 1990's. It was at first rumored that it would be a hotel (as if SD had to worry about hotel room capacity!), but then was to be a condo tower.
Regards,
Keith

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
What the Hillbilly heard

And it won't get finished either.
According to my sources, it seems that the building is off line and like the leaning Tower of Pisa, but without the bells!!

Apparently the footing was faulty and it is slightly tipped.,

Another triumph for greedy construction bosses.

HB
BANJO.GIF

FYI: I should have stated the location of this mess. It is nearly on the corner of M?ximo G?mez and the Ave. George Washington

Last edited:

domgirl1

Apr 5, 2002
Hotel by the Malecon

Well, when I drove by it I did slightly see the name and it did say it was going to be a hotel. I just don't remember the name to save my life.

I know there is some construction going on as far as condo buildings, but that is not the one that i'm talking about.

When I went last year in September this construction site was not there so it must have been started not too long ago.

Thanks for the quick answers though. Still, if anyone knows, please let me know.

Thanks again.

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
Malecon Center

The hotel is supposed to be a Holiday Inn Crowne plaza when I was there last during Semana Santa. It is disconcerting that reports state it wont be finished.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
Malecon Center: money pit or money laundry?

Hillbilly mentioned greedy construction bosses. I don't doubt that played a part in this. I suspect money laundering for lack of any other logical explanation for the utter impracticality of the project. None of the projected uses: cinemas, retail commercial space, and modern condominiums, are in shorty supply or high demand. Moreover, were it ever to open at even half capacity the resulting traffic jams would be monstruous. Think about the access via an already crowded 4-lane road.

I can't think of a way to explain the unifinished mess other than an excuse to generate material and labor invoices and purchase orders with high levels of foreign exchange, a frequent indication of money laundering. The U.S. government threatened the DR's foreign aid and IMF access over this issue several years ago.

jojocho

Jul 10, 2002
Two different things

The Malecon Center is one thing, and the unfinished hotel is another.

I believe the hotel that was going up close to the Maximo Gomez was to be called El Prado.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Human Folly - Variations on a Theme

The Malecon Center is one thing, and the unfinished hotel is another.

I believe the hotel that was going up close to the Maximo Gomez was to be called El Prado.

Ten and a half years later it's still dead in the water. I wonder if there are trees growing out of the floors.

Leaning tower, bad construction, title dispute?

Qu? un pais de maravillas. :laugh:

=============================================

Half a world away there's Burj Khalifa.

architecture-003-burj-khalifa.jpg

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Is this the building that couldn't be completed because they forgot to pour a main concrete/steel beam??

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
AE-if this is the building you're referring to, then I believe the answer is "yes".

2ah84rp.jpg

This photo is from January of 2005, and from what I've heard it was left as you see it.

I recall there was at least one other thread on this subject years ago, so as this one is from 2002 I think it's safe to close it down. I don't think anyone really cares at this point.

CLOSED.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.