Huelga?

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
My wife called her sister this morning and she is unable to run a errand at a bank due to a strike in SFM. Is this national or isolated to San Francisco?

Tom F.

Isaac

Aug 6, 2002
Yeah Right

Add an extra peso in there for her and she'll be skipping down the road in a heartbeat!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Marcoris might be a little hotter than normal

the whole country is really pissed off at several of the idiot measures of the government:
\1) New tolls...up 200%
/2) A, get this, "readjustment" of the Paquetazo from last year.
And the president saying that taxes should be doubled!
/3)Very serious power outages, with some places not have power for up to 14 hours.

/4) Even the people that are not normally upset with government borrowing are really getting upset with all the loans...

The Sindicatos, the Popular Front Organizations are finding lots of fertile soil for their plans...

HB, reporting form ground zero in Santiago for Radio Bemba

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
I heard yesterday there were strikes and riots in some parts (I heard it from Esperanza) and that a huelga nacional may be in the near future...

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Food prices starting to escalate..

According to Hoy newspaper, due to increased transportation costs (tolls, petro taxes,etc), the costs for everyday food items have started to rise significantly:

http://www.hoy.com.do/agosto2002/06082002/el_pais6.htm

mondongo
"preparing for armageddon...already outfitted with my rebel-red bandana and super strength water pistol..."

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Isaac

To bad you had know idea what you are talking about. My sisiter -in-law is actually doing fairly well managing thousands of tierras of farmland with her husband. I doubt whether a peso or two would make a difference. It's only a 20 minute drive into town so it's no big deal. I think they just stay put in the campo when there are rumblings of a huelga. In Macoris, it's probably a good idea.

The wife and I are buying a house and it is time to liquidate our investments in the DR. 1.5%/month on one chunk, tripled our money in 6 years buying cows, and earned 20%/year at a leading institution. Compared to the 80% loss we had in our stocks here in the US, the DR investments really paid off.

Apr 26, 2002
Yes, unload

By all means, this would be a good time to unload your Dominican investments. As the old chinese curse goes, "may you live in interesting times."