re:transportation from la romana to juan dolio

bunny

Aug 7, 2002
re:transportation from la romana to juan dolio

hey guys,
first timer here!! I'm heading to the Dominican Republic!! I was wondering if anyone can give me advise on taking the public transit to my hotel in juan dolio. It's extremely expensive to take a taxi from the la romana airport. So I was thinking of taking the taxi up to "la rotunda" and taking a public bus.
I've done it with my friend before, but this time I'm doing this adventure on my own. If anyone can give me some advise, that would be wonderful!!!

Please get back to me, I'm leaving in a week and a half

muchas gracias!!!!

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
You Can Do This Assuming ....

that your flight ( I assume it is charter) lands at La Romana within the operating schedules for the Gua-Gua's which end around 10 p.m. from La Romana towards the capitol/Boca Chica with Juan Dolio en route to either of those destinations.

Otherwise I would guess it is in the 700 RD$ range from La Romana to Juan Dolio by car? It's 350 RD$ from San Pedro to Boca Chica and the distance is about double.

bunny

Aug 7, 2002
re:transport

but i don't think the gua guas locate themselves at the airport...i think it's just taxis and it's soooo expensive $70-$80 US to juan dolio from la romana

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
It's $50.US from La Romana to Juan Dolio...

by taxi and Bunny has it right in that the "guagua" does not exist at the airport. You would have to take a taxi to the "parada" in La Romana to catch a bus to Juan Dolio.
I gather you are not travelling to an AI on a "package" vacation as all packages include transport from La Romana to your resort.
We normally take a taxi as its quite a hassle to get luggage to the parada and onto a bus. To us it's money well spent to be wisked directly from the airport to our residence with no hassles after a flight.

bunny

Aug 7, 2002
re:transport

thanks for the reply, i need as much help as i can get!!!

i'm just bringing a carry on bag with me, not much lugguage, that's why i don't mind taking the gua gua...just need to know what to say to the taxi driver once i get there...

don't want to get myself in trouble...

too bad i can't just catch a motorcyle to the hotel!!!

last time i got charged $80 because there was 2 of us.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Re: re:transport

bunny said:
but i don't think the gua guas locate themselves at the airport...i think it's just taxis and it's soooo expensive $70-$80 US to juan dolio from la romana

Nooo...but he said he'd taxi to where the gua-gua's are first, a lot less than $70, unless....he taxi's to where the gua-gua's are in Juan Dolio at which point he's there.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Really!!

bunny said:
thanks for the reply, i need as much help as i can get!!!

last time i got charged $80 because there was 2 of us.

Bunny....if there's only one, or two or up to six people (however many fit in the van) the price is STILL $50.US from the airport in La Romana to wherever you're going in Juan Dolio.
When you get here this time -if you haven't opted to take the gua gua from La Romana- wipe the "Gringo Sucker" off your forehead before you leave the plane.
In otherwords if you pay more than $850 pesos you've been HAD!!

bunny

Aug 7, 2002
i contacted taxis rs

a taxi service responded and said it would be more than 50 US...so i'm just going to take the taxi to la rotunda in san pedro and take the gua gua from there...it should cut my costs in half...or more...

also trying to get in touch with some hotels that offer shuttle service to their hotel...as long as i get to a hotel near by i can walk to my hotel...i've done it before...

if anyone has anymore suggestions please send it my way...

thanks guys!!!

bunny

Aug 7, 2002
gua gua

mommc, so i have to take the taxi to "parada" in la romana...but someone told me to take the taxi to la rotunda in san pedro...which way should i go???? i'm getting nervous.

if you can help, that'll be great...sorry for being so annoying!!!!!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Ok....

San Pedro is only about a 15 min. ride from Juan Dolio so if you're looking to cut costs take a taxi to the "parada" in La Romana and catch a guagua there that will take you right to Juan Dolio.
Not much sense in paying a taxi to SP and then a guagua to JD. They'll still charge you about $50.US to San Pedro. Last time we took one was this spring so prices may have gone up with all the new tolls and taxes however I think once you get to the airport in La Romana you may find a taxista willing to take you to JD for the $50 US or $850-900 pesos. We've managed to find drivers in JD who will take us to La Romana airport for $500 pesos so bargain like there's no tomorrow!!!! Coming home we flew out of Punta Cana and managed to find a taxista who took us from JD to PC for $900 pesos(normally a 1500-2000 peso trip) so needless to say we tipped him a $100 pesos. (in Canadian dollars he saved us $50.)
Sorry I can't tell you how much it will cost from the airport to the "parada" in La Romana but we've never done that so I don't know. Maybe someone else on the board might.

Last edited: