social services & mental health in DR

DavidSane

Aug 2, 2002
Here I go again,

I am going to eventually make the move to DR, but I want to find out what vocation is there in the DR. I have worked w/ seriously mentally ill for years & recently in preparing kids for adoptive homes. Is there any type of jobs like this in DR ? What is the mental health or welfare system like in DR? Is there any? Also does one need a license to practice social work or counseling ? If all else fails, I could get a certificate & teach english. Please any help would be appreciated.

PS: Yes this is my real name, it's jewish.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
David,
My post to 'Wonka' under the thread 'Number of Ex-Pats' might help a little. The board HAS covered a little bit on this subject before, so check the archives too.

Tell us where you are thinking of coming to in the DR. Have you visited the island recently & if so where? What were your professional opinions on the possibilities if you have visited?

The Government IS trying to introduce some form of social welfare package but just when we are likely to see the benefits of that & WHAT it will include, we have no idea - I am certainly not holding my breath for it!!!! To try to be more helpful in answering your questions, I see very little in the way of mental health problems & virtually NIL mentally retarded, brain damaged, or other forms of mental illnesses. It COULD be that these are all kept in doors or hospitals - but I doubt it, I think that it is far more likely that there is so little of it due to the lack of pressures here. It is also fair to say that the culture here dictates that families look after their own, so aged, handicapped in anyway, infirmed etc., will be tended for by the family in most cases. This is NOT a hardship for the families as it is all done with love - hence the receiver of this help is not denuded of attention or proper care.

IF you are considering the north coast, drop me a line & I will try to be more helpful. My contacts only relate to the north so I can not (& WILL not) try to give you a global picture, it would be far too inaccurate.

Best regards - Grahame.