Driving Distance?

DRtechie

"everyday is a holiday"
Jan 27, 2002
phiota.net
I will be in DR the first week of september and I plan on doing a road trip to the north coast. Since I've never driven much outside of Santo Domingo I was hoping the more experience posters of the board could help with travel time between cities and the condition of the roads. I am only giving myself 5 days for the road trip, the rest of the time I'll be SD. Is that enough time? Thanx :)

THe Plan
Santo Domingo to Bani..done this drive plenty of times already!
Bani to Constanza
Constanza to Santiago
Santiago to POP
POP to Sosua
Sosua to Cabarete
Cabarete to Santo Domingo

Last edited:

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Roads are good, no problem. If you can drive in Sto. Dom. you can drive anywhere.

I will be in Santiago Sept 3rd and on 4th - 8th in POP, Sosua and Cabarete. Look me up in Sosua at Rockys Bar if you are there when I am. Drinks are on you! Kidding, it would be my pleasure.

Escott

DRtechie

"everyday is a holiday"
Jan 27, 2002
phiota.net
Well it's all set. I'll be flying into S.D this friday and hanging out there until wednesday when I'll be driving up to Cabarete. I had to scrap all the road trip plans because of the limited time I'll have, but hopefully I'll get to do it in December. For those in the North Coast, I'll be staying at the Villa Taina in Cabarete from Tuesday (9/3) to Thursday (9/5). Let me know what are the best places to party or drop me a note to meet up somewhere for a Presidente.

Kaya

Mar 26, 2002
Santiago to POP

There's a windy road through the mountains, that one can take. You turn right at Hache's in Santiago, instead of going to Navarette and turning right there. It's a beautiful journey, better than the destination!

Apr 26, 2002
No Can Do

One little problem with your itinerary. The road between Bani and Constanza is not passable without 4-wheel-drive between San Jose de Ocoa and Constanza. This is the case even though it appears as a numbered highway on many maps. And that leg alone would take about 4 hours. I believe that you would also need a permit from the National Park to traverse it.

You may need to stick to the main highway between Santo Domingo and Santiago (via Bonao).

DRtechie

"everyday is a holiday"
Jan 27, 2002
phiota.net
Thanks for the info Porfio. As I mentioned before I won't be doing the road trip this time around. I had to cut my vacation short because of work so I will not have enough time. Hopefully I'll be able to do it later this year, maybe in December when I go back. I will take note of the road condition and look into getting a permit...that leg of the trip sounds like it can be adventure alone.

This time around I will be driving from Santo Domingo to Cabarete, from what I hear the road conditions are good.