WOW USAir to Sto. Dom from NYC

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
US Airways introduces New Fall and Winter travel sales to Europe and the Caribbean.
Purchase tickets by August 13, 2002. Lowest fares to Europe are available for
travel beginning November 1, 2002. Lowest fares to the Caribbean are available for
travel September 1 through December 12, 2002.

This is just a sample of the discounted fares. For reservations and fares from your
city go to:
http://www.usairways.com/promotions/specials/intl_fall_winter_sale.htm

Roundtrip
Sample Markets Fares
-------------- -----
New York/LaGuardia - Santo Domingo $229

Fares are based on required roundtrip Coach travel. Tickets must be purchased at
least 21 days in advance of travel (no advance purchase for Caribbean), within 24
hours of making reservation and no later than 8/13/02. Travel to the Caribbean valid
9/1/02-12/12/02; all travel must be completed by 12/12/02. Travel to Europe valid
11/1/02-12/12/02 or 12/25/02-3/31/03; other sale fares are also available for travel
9/5/02-10/31/02 or 12/13/02-12/24/02. Tickets become nonrefundable 24 hours after
making initial reservation, and under certain conditions may be changed for a
minimum $100 fee ($200 for Europe). Minimum Saturday night stay is required. Maximum 30
day stay allowed.
Travel valid Mondays-Thursdays; fares for other days are higher

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
These are not non stop flights though

If you are comparing to AA or Continental via Newark - these US Air flights all stop without change of planes and/or stop and have change of planes in Philadelphia. The current lowest price is US $256 according to US Air web site.

The $256 flight prices out at $350 with unusually high taxes etc., too.

Long flights times with stops, eg. 6 hours 40 minutes or 8 hours six minutes there and return flights watch out - one is 6:40 total time and two of three leave at 4:15p.m. on one day and get into LGA at 6:50 a.m. and 8:44 a.m. the next day.

AA via JFK is under 4 hours. And is also $350 US for the same day/time pair with all taxes and you gain hours.

With low price comes inconvenience.

Last edited:

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
US Air Files Chapter 11 (AP Wireservice)

US Airways Files for Chapter 11
Sun Aug 11, 7:56 PM ET

By MATTHEW BARAKAT, AP Business Writer

ALEXANDRIA, Va. (AP) - US Airways, hard hit by slumping travel after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection Sunday, the company said.
The first major carrier to declare bankruptcy since the attacks, US Airways said all of its flights are expected to continue without interruption. It had mentioned bankruptcy as a possibility after it lost $2.1 billion during 2001.

Although US Airways didn't lose any planes Sept. 11, its business was severely hurt when Reagan National Airport, the airline's main hub, was shut down for three weeks and then reopened with only a limited schedule.

The Arlington, Va.-based airline said it has received $500 million in private financing to keep operating while it reorganizes.

"US Airways will continue to operate while we complete our financial restructuring, and our customers should be confident that we will continue service to the more than 200 communities in our network," said US Airways president and chief executive David Siegel. He said the airline will seek a return to profitability and could emerge from bankruptcy by the first quarter of 2003.

Apr 26, 2002
US Airways Will Survive

Yes, people who live in New York or Miami will find AA more convenient (though North Jerseyans might consider driving an hour and a half to Philly). But as for most other cities, choose your favorite airport to spend a few hours. (Philly has better concessions than LaGuardia, Kennedy, Miami or San Juan.)

USAirways also has the newest fleet of planes (A320ERs) for its Santo Domingo flight.

And, of course, AA and USAirways are subject to the exact same taxes. That's why they're called taxes. For fare comparison purposes, you should always compare apples to apples. Right now, USAirways' and AA's real fares appear similar - both the cheapest I've seen in a long time!!!

Finally, USAirways has secured hundreds of millions of dollars in backing from the Federal government and Texas Pacific Group, the same investment group that led Continental from bankruptcy to its success today. USAirways is not disappearing anytime soon.

No, I don't work for USAirways. And if I owned stock in them, I'd be too ticked off to write anything complimentary about them. But I do think that they run a decent, if not profitable, airline, and that their employees are better than most.

Last edited:

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
The Original Post Was Discussing NYC to SDQ

Hence the point that paying the same NYC to SDQ via PHL and stops and lousy timing vs. JFK made the US Air option kind of pointless.

If you fly out of PHL then AA would not be viable in lieu of non stop flights on US Air.

As to flying on US Air in their Chapter 11 status that's up to the ticket buyer. I would not do it.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Why NOT fly a chapter 11 Airline?

Makes no sense to me unless you can give me a reason.

Sometimes people fly with a stop for frequent flyer miles. I know that I would if I need one more trip on a particular airline to make the miles a free ticket. I know I do.

I am convinced that US Air will come out of this in fine shape and maybe in better shape than their rivals are currently in. I am just glad I didn't own or hold onto Airline stocks.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
It is a personal choice

to make - US Air or not up to the ticket buyer. I am not sure I'd buy a ticket for Xmas or next Easter but maybe leaving for the fall of this year and I wanted the PHL- SDQ route sure.

TWA wound up with AA and the TWA miles program got incorporated in AAdvantage so even points may be fairly safe.

Mickey

Mar 3, 2002
The only reason not to fly with a Ch. 11 airline would be that they may cease operations and not refund the ticket. Did this not happen in the case of the Canadian airline that went bankrupt? This is a highly unlikely situation in the case of UA, but a possibility nonetheless. If was looking for flights and found one on another airline at a comparable rate i wouldn't think twice about it...