re: Freedom of Speech in the D.R.

kingofdice

Jan 16, 2002
re: Freedom of Speech in the D.R.

I've always been impressed with opinions expressed in D.R. newspapers such as El Caribe, Hoy, and Listin Diario. They seem very objective in their views on government spending, excessive levying of taxes and so on. However, from time to time, I have read mentions where Dominican President Hipolito Mejia purports to threaten arrest and jail, for Dominicans that publicly criticize him.
Therefore, I ask: Is there real Freedom of Press in the Dominican Republic or is it a pseudo-Freedom? Earlier this year, when ex-President Clinton spoke at the Inter American Press Association meeting in Casa de Campo, he stressed the need for complete Freedom of Speech in the country. Was Clinton alluding that Freedom of Speech is slightly compromised in the Dominican Republic or was he just trumpeting Freedom of Press and Speech in general?

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If you remember my post on corruption,

Let me add that another governmental dependency just published another huge supplement to the Listin Diario. This is a good way to "buy"approval...

Like government publicity makes the TV and Radio stations friendlier...

Hb with his 2?...

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
The press in the DR has always mystified me. I despise the early morning radio news (they sound like they're doing a play-by-play of the horse races), the morning TV talk shows are booorrinng, and the List?n Diario is generally hard to figure out.

Are they free to speak their minds? Yes. But in a country with incidents like "Narcisazo" not so far behind it, I think you have to believe that things can "happen" if you overstep your boundaries.

Add that to the greed / corruption factor which basically means that everyone in any upper-level position, in every industry and facet of the govt., is getting his bonito, his extra, etc., and is usually wont to keep it.

And then the general population of @ss-kissers, of which I guess I am one. :bored:

Last edited:

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
According to the pundits the biggest threat to freedom of press nowadays comes from the journalists self-silencing themselves. Like HB said, the government is a one of the biggests (if not THE biggests) customers of the "advertising industry", money do wonders to shut people up. The second reason is that with His Dumbness Hipolito I chastizing people in public, journalists might be afraid of suffering the Mother of All Embarrasments on national TV.

But I reckon that the government pretty much respects the press.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Note to Jane J.

That is boronita or "crumb" From borona the crumbs that the parrots lets drop as it eats.

This is not a dictionary definition, just one from what I have heard..

But your point is well taken and quite correct...

HB :)

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Thanks, HB - I like that word, boronita. I was actually going for "bonus", diminutive. Little bonus. Whatever.

:)

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
wasn't there a story last fall on DR1 news about a reporter on one of the RD tv stations who had his program banned because of unflattering comments about the president and his party? i can't seem to find it in the archives, although i remember asking on one of the boards why there was no obvious outrage about this infringement of "freedom of the press".

mob

ps. i am not complaining, but it is funny (to me, anyway) that the moderator has managed to somewhat hijack a thread (against explicit instructions from the webmaster) on his own forum.:classic:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Now where is that DELETE button?

You are right. I stand ashamed!..Just a clarification, however, not a real hijack...

HB :)

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
hijack....schmijack....what is the big deal?.......must we be so renal attentive to not allow ancillary conversation on a thread?....I, for one, enjoy the digressions...

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
am i the only one who remembers the story; is censorship a common occurence, or was it simply a lousy program to begin with?

mob