Fences and animal containment

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
My neighbor has a flock of about 20 frequently trespassing goats.

Is it the responsiblity of the animal owner to keep his animals contained or is it responsibility of the property owner to keep other peoples animals out? In most areas of the US the burden is on the animal owner.

What legal recourse does a property owner have against a neighbor whose animals frequently trespass?

I am about ready to either sell them or kill them...

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
damm goats!

The animal owners are responsible to contain and control their livestock. If for example if cow causes a road accident the owner of the cow has to pay all damages incurred. You can approach your local authorities (Fiscal) to obtain a court order to control your neighbours goats.

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
thanks Drake, your answer is much appreciated...

This particular neighbor is a locally known scam artist... he puts the holes in the fence himself because his animals prefer my property...

jojocho

Jul 10, 2002
Chivo guisado: cook 'em up!!

It sounds bad but it works. I have an aunt that had a garden that was being destroyed by some chickens her neighbor had, and no matter how much she complained to her neighbor he wouldn't do a thing to keep his birds under control. The next day she found one of those chickens in her garden she cooked it up and sent it as a "gift" to her neighbor. Never again has she seen a chicken in her garden.

I know this is far from actual legal advise, but hey.. whatever works!!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
If it's loose and it's edible, it's fair game!!!

Mmmmmm....chivo! Had some the other night but went thru the wringer to obtain it. Not many goat keepers around here and they are all penned!! Wish I had a neighbour who so thoughtfully let his animals wander into my yard...........

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Animal owners are liable for the damages caused by their animals (Article 1385 of the Civil Code). Letting animals go into a neighbor's property is also a misdemeanor (Article 475 and 479 of the Penal Code).

Jim Hinsch

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
geocities.com
Getting the authorities involved in a dispute with a neighbor will usually resolve the problem, only to create a worse condition on some other issue. It's isn't good to make enemies with your neighbors.

So while the legal solution is the legal solution, you can very cheaply buy a battery operated device that uses an infrared detector (you set the spread and distance sensitivity) that will emit an annoying sound when triggered. The sound is only audible to most animals and not to humans. Simlar devices are sold with wire triggers, or that shoot water or flash a light instead of sound and all these little devices cost under $100.

These devices are designed to repel anthing from dogs and crows, to squirrels and children. I especially like the one that works 360 degrees and squirts water any anything that approaches.

The owner will foil these systems? Get yourself one of those X10 cams. They are really cheap and come with infrared sensors (battery operated). For under US$100, the system will run on batteries and can be held in the palm of your hand. It emits a signal that will get picked up by a receiver in your house that will send out the same signal as your VCR remote to turn it on record and then off 5 minutes late. Once you've got him on tape, go see him, show him the tape, and keep him honest (never embarass a Dominican - be up front and do it outside the presence of others).

Locate one on the internet and get someone to bring it with them when they visit you.

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
thanks jim.... In this case we are actually talking about a field normally used for cows, who would not appreciate the sugested system....

I have thought of hooking up the lawn watering system to a proximity alarm at home.. It would be pretty funny to see that go off...