Chretien/Mejia Comparison

Mickey

Mar 3, 2002
Do any Canadians on this board notice any similarities here? Both leaders are obviously corrupt (in neither case is the full extent probably know), in both situations the elecorate says they don't trust the leader, but in both situations the leader would most likely be re-elected if elections were held today. What is wrong with us?!?!?!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
someone once said,.........................

............."People" get the type of Government they deserve! In the DR people are interested in what the government will give them.They could care less about corruption as long as they get some of the benefits!Don't know anything about theCanadien Government,or Chretian,but I'll guess that he is a "Populist" of French extraction very popular amoung the French Canadiann and immigrant poplulations.Those who like the Dominicans want something for nothing.How was my guess?CRISCO

Mickey

Mar 3, 2002
well..... hmmmm.... for an uneducated guess it was fairly spot on. some will argue that Chretien and his party have no legitimate opposition, and that is why he remains in power. but your 'blind' explanation is just as right. people DO have choices, but prefer to go with the old familiar. those who vote are the ones at the trough. good call CC!

Mickey

Mar 3, 2002
Well, its hard to say..... popularity is a funny thing. He is the leader of the most popular party by far. And that party, the Liberals, are certainly the most popular among the french and the immigrants, hard to argue that....

Paul Thate

Jan 11, 2002
not only are the leaders the same re coruptions.
Chretien had the editor from an ottawa newspaper fired.because he was critical of his goverment. Since this summer
freedom of the press is dead in canada.

As well police and prosecution got to gether to put an innocent man in jail.in winnipeg or someplace.
it was so bad that a judge reviewing that process was so ashamed that it could happen awarded the man about a million dollars.
Also another policeman who killed some woman was allowed to hide his identity for months.

thats the type of stuf that might happen here as well.

As well the carjackings were so numerous
that people were afraid to go out at night
that in a very fashionable district in toronto.
crime is rampant there.

That is not even hapening here..

All in all politics , police , goverment coruption,
the countries couldnot be more similar.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
All in all politics , police , goverment coruption,
the countries could not be more similar.
The Boy From Shawinigan vs. Hipo - it's a great comparison. A wealth of social gaffes and ego trips...

BUT...they *could* be a lot more similar. This has been a bad year for the Canadian gov't for corruption scandals coming to light, but even so, we know that this happens in all forms of gov't, sometimes to a greater or lesser degree. The fact that these incidents were made public is the only thing that separates this gov't from gov'ts past, or those from other countries.

And I'm always amused when I get, let's say, my GST cheque in the mail and a little note saying they underpaid me last time, so the owed amount has been included, with interest, no less. Heh.

(And personally, if I had a ex-paramour who was a gov't official, I would expect favours too. Otherwise, what would be the point?)

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I'm not defending any of them but ever notice it's always the opposition parties that try and dig up the most dirt so that they will get elected and do the same thing. I'm sure it's not the first nor the last time corruption has occured, we just hear about it more now. Elections are getting close.

Paul Thate

Jan 11, 2002
all very true , but you should not be able to find that much dirt
by just scratching chretien's surface.
so the canadians will reelect him the dominicans reelect
Hipolito.they all get what they deserve.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
So Paul without asking you who you're voting for, who do you think would make a good leader for Canada.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I think that the Cretien vs. Hipolito should be moved over here

This is a wickedly good thread and there is ammo to waste.
Today's papers were unanimously against the government, especially Hoy. The local newsmagazine, [A]hora, has some whithering things to say this week, looking at the two year results of the government. Wonder what the Toronto papers have to say??

HB, no smilie on this one, at least not yet!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Let's just hope the Alliance and the PC

kiss and make up and Harris steps forward to take the lead.
He may not be the best but he sure got Ontario back on track after the Liberals and NPD mucked it up. Too bad he still wasn't on the job......barring that I'd take Martin over Chretien anyday (he's still just a Trudeau wannabe!!) if only their policies were more in line with what the country REALLY needs (like lower taxes,less gov't waste, better health care, better education)

Last edited:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Mommc remind me again who gave us better health care in Ontario. I had to wait two years for my operation because Harris was doing such a great job. Docters in Hamilton were cut ( no pun intended) to using the operating rooms two days a week. My right leg will never be as strong as the left because of the long wait. Was it bad? Very! Dr. Smith in Hamilton said as he looked at my xray " You look at that and you have to wonder how you can walk."

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Tell it to Chretien!!

We had decent health care until the Liberals screwed up the economy by trying to spend their way out of recession then just when things started looking up thanks to some common sense the Fed's lead by Chretien decided to balance the budget and reduce the federal debt by reducing the transfer payments to the provinces for ???-you guessed it- health and education.
Harris and several other provincial leaders got the heat for a lot of things that were a consequence of Chretien and his cronies actions.

Now before anyone gets on my case I think you should know I'm NOT a "party" loyalist. In fact I quite often get teased because it's not unusual to find me at election times doing volunteer work for one party in the provincial arena and their opposition in the federal arena then go out campaigning for a local politician who is affiliated with neither (or should I say both their opposition?).
I was taught to vote with my head not my heart and that the best person to do the job that needed to be done was the person I should be voting for no matter which party he was affiliated wish.
Just wish our system was more like the US system so we could vote for our PM and Premier without having to vote also for the party they represent. Think about it.....a Conservative Party in power ..... with Paul Martin as PM........hhhmmmm- might be interesting and productive!

Mickey

Mar 3, 2002
I agree with MommC. Its all good and well to blame Mike Harris for everything, but in truth the Chretien cuts and Bob Rae 'legacy' have/had so much more to do with it. Health care used to be funded 50/50 provincial/federal, and now i believe the ratio is closer to 80/20. Its obvious service isn't what it was, but we can't afford that. We've just changed our policies to reflect reality. The same argument has been made about education in Ontario. Mike Harris is ruining education blah blah blah. This is all union, leftest nonsense. i was in an Ontario high school from 1996-2001 and funding was not a problem. Mismanagement of funds and continual work stoppages were. After the initial cuts made by Bob Rae in the early 90's, the level of education in Ontario plateaued in my opinion.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Some interesting info on schools.......

http://www.todaysparent.com/article.jsp?cId=1064506

It is interesting to note that the two provinces with the highest student/teacher ratio (or worst ratio as teachers would have you believe) also have the students who score the highest on tests in math,science,and writing. They also have lower amounts of their budgets being spent on teachers salaries and the highest amounts being spent per student.
I too sat on a school board for many years and could list a litany of "sins",mismanagement and overspending. Take for example the "new" French school board that appeared in our area after the Harris "downsizing" and re-shuffling. First thing the board did was authorize the purchase of laptop computers for the board members so they could receive email notices of board meetings and prepare written submissions,notes of meetings etc. At a cost of about $6500./board member (many of whom had never seen a computer in their life and hadn't a clue how to use them) for 12 board member was this a justified expense???? Of course then they also had to provide internet access for the board members so they could receive their email notices! At a cost of $19.95 plus PST & GST taxes per month per board member how much is it costing taxpayers so the members can play Freecell and send jokes to each other??? And yes I have first hand knowledge as one of the members visited us in Juan Dolio one year with his laptop and used my dial-up to send "trip reports" and jokes to his counterparts at home!!

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
I am curious, and by doing this comment I don't know how far I am getting from the OP, but anyhoo...

I noticed that sometimes when we refer to the Customs agent in DR who asks for a US$10.00 from you, or a pair of inexpensive snickers we call that corruption. However an official in Canada who's given a priviledge to the tune of US$6000 +(or $CAN?) is called "mismanagement and overspending".

Crispy creamy crap on a cracker! That sounds like a lot of money to my "pesoed" ears. And that also sound like corruption to me. Proffiting personally (in any way) from a position of authority is plain, simple corruption.

I am in no way accusing MommC of being biased in this ocassion, we all seem to do the same often, we have the tendency to believe some of this thieves are above others. Corrupt polititicians, corrupt school board members, pick-pocketers, bank robbers... all the same.