Does the RD Gov't have a definition of means?

love da DR

Aug 1, 2002
Fabio,

In my never ending quest to comprehend the enigma of immigration from the RD to the United States, am I not correct that the Dominican Gov't wishes first for it's citizens to have "means" before a passport will be issued? It seems to me that it is more difficult for a dominican to exit their own country
than to enter the United States is this correct? In your legal opinion what would be the definition of "means"? Would also happen to know the standard if such a thing exists time frame
for a Dominican to receive a passport assuming that all of their paper work is in order?

Thanks, Isaac

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
love da DR said:
that the Dominican Gov't wishes first for it's citizens to have "means" before a passport will be issued? Thanks, Isaac

The means test is the fee for the passport and that is all. Since they all have cedulas the process is remarkably quick and easy and fairly low cost.

love da DR

Aug 1, 2002
I think that I mis-stated my question.

I was under the impression that the process for Dominican Nationals to receive a passport was both tidious and discouraged.

I think that my question should have focused more on the
requirements for obtaining a visa from the American Consulate
at any rate I'll explore the archives to research this topic and if
I have any additionall questions I'll post another thread.

Sorry if I wasted anyones time.

thanks, Isaac

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Visas are a whole nuther problem

You can do an archive search on this board from 2001 and find a bunch of stuff.

"Means" as defined by the Consulate, in not defined in precise terms...it is a feeling by the Visa Consul about the economic condition of the person soliciting the visa.

There are some obvious no-nos: RD$50,000 deposited three days before the interview to show money in the bank.
New CDs or other documents. New Birth Certificates or Marriage Certificates. Recently registered land titles or new incorporations...

Tough to get a visa on one's pretty face, although it has been known to happen.

HB

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
For a Dominican to get a visa to the US these days, it is almost mandatory that a Dominican seeking his first visa has some clear tie in the Dominican Republic that insures (to extent this is possible) that the Dominican will return to the DR. The owner of a successful business has a motive to return. Someone who has a very good job has a pretty good chance. I know of one case where a young husband and wife were able to get a visit to visit relatives in the US because they didn't take their young children with them on the trip.