Having A Restaurant....

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
If you have a restaurant in the DR.....what determines if you must charge a tax? For example, Pizza Hut charges a tax but a mom and pop outfit might not charge a tax. If I recall......a restaurant such as Pizza Hut charges a pretty steep tax.

What other requirements does the government place upon a restaurant?

Is there a difference between a restaurant that is Take Out Only and a restaurant where you can sit down and eat?

Are you subject to any kind of police extortion or any government extortion for that matter. Must you pay under the table in order to stay in biz or to maintain a license?

Damn.......I know Hillbilly has the answers to this one...hehe

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I EAT at restaurants...

But the taxes are there: 10% service (automatic 'tip'); and the 12% ITIBIS or VAT.

The experts can tell you more and better, but I think that in some hotels there is another tax. However, those two are like you belly button: ALways there!!

LOL,

HB

Last edited:

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Oh, yeah - let's talk restaurants. I used to waitress at various establishments of distinction in Sosua.

I remember my salary was $1800/mth, plus the 10% (supposed) extra, plus whatever tips - when there were much or any. Although at one point I remember I was making $6000 / mth and quite pleased (?).

It's true, some people do and others don't charge tax. Hmmm. As far as tax, and with any biz, I suppose, you could have declared sales and undeclared sales, right? I think if you have an RNC number, you pretty much stay on the books (yeah, right). But pretty much, anyway.

As for extortion, my first boss was the illustrious Juan Miranda - please someone tell me that they know him...Anyway, he was your basic mafioso and it was smooth sailing as far as the fuzz was concerned. But when I worked at Guajiro's (does anyone remember that place?) for Canadian owners with Cuban saboteur co-owners, there were constantly people going off to jail, or the loudspeakers being confiscated or some big disaster. But they were - alas - good times, good times - never a dull moment.

Thank you! And good night! *leaves the stage*

Paul Thate

Jan 11, 2002
sure jane I know Juan.
only i did not know he ran a restaurant I thought
he runs a carpenter shop;

james

Jan 14, 2002
Yes he (Juan) did run a restaurant before and until he expanded it to be "bigger and better" (which of coarse was its downfall) it had excellent food and service and was a cozy place.

Jim Hinsch

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
geocities.com
Wow, that's so funny. I know a place in Boca Chica that ...
has Spanish and French owners with Spanish saboteur co-owners, there are constantly people going off to jail, or the loudspeakers being confiscated or some big disaster. But there were - alas - good times, good times - never a dull moment.

The speakers are doing 5-10.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Jim: what a coincidence...

The speakers are doing 5-10.
Hee!

As for Juan Miranda, all I can say is: what a character...

(I'm sure there must be some restauranteurs out there who would love to jump in and save this thread)

lilsam

Santo Domingo Sammy
Jan 2, 2002
But the taxes are there: 10% service (automatic 'tip'); and the 12% ITIBIS or VAT
If a resturant has counter service and you sit at the counter there is no tax or tip included in check. If you sit at counter use a credit card it is charged.
If you sit in a resturant at table service you pay tax.
This was set in place for the poor people so they could eat tax free while pople being served (are ussally better off) the are charged tax.
fyi fro Lil Sam

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
LilSam,,,,,,,,,,

thanks for that input. I have been waiting for this information. So, If I had a pizza shoppe and I did not have a sit down area...pick pizza up and go only....then I would not need to charge a service or itbus tax???????????

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
Jane
Who from Sosua does not know the incredible top laid dominican of the town,yes he did have an excelent restauraunt and it was not expansion that killed him but more the noise and trash from marinero across the street,he also does have a carpenter shop now and hasnt changed,Guajiros had great mojitos,pray tell were you there when Glen and the boys from 90 miles an hour were playing,they used to play in my place twice a week(johnnys rock cafe)As for taxes most of the people i know include both in the prices,ya pay some it just depends on creative books

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Guajiros had great mojitos,pray tell were you there when Glen and the boys from 90 miles an hour were playing,

Yes, Johnny - Mary and I were great friends, both pregnant at the same time - do you remember? Glen actually stayed with us when we lived in, of all places, La Piedra. I used to babysit Kirk and Ad?le's kids too.

Those were awesome times when 90MPH played Guajiros - do you still see their t-shirts around Sos?a?

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
Jane
Havent seen one in awhile,you wouldt by any chance have a contact to Glen,i would really like to contact him,were you with the rasta at the time,im trying to placeyou

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
were you with the rasta at the time,im trying to placeyou
Was and still am...

I have Mary's phone number, but I will send you an email...

Last edited: